Viewing Images - Maintain Zoom Level Across Multiple Photos

Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions
dukw_butter Junior Member • Posts: 34
Viewing Images - Maintain Zoom Level Across Multiple Photos

Does anyone know of any software that runs on a PC which will allow me to zoom in on a photo, and then change photos while maintaining the current zoom level?

For instance, if I take 20 photos of a small bird, I'd like to be able to zoom in on the bird, and then flip through the series of photos without having to re-zoom in on each picture. Sounds simple enough, right? But you can't do it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I shoot a Canon EOS 50D, and I have this functionality in the camera. I can zoom in, and then scroll through all of my photos without ever losing my zoom level. Why can't I do this in Windows?

Each time I change images using Windows Picture and Fax viewer, I have to zoom in all over again which kills me. I tried installing Canon's Zoom Browser, and I figured out how to zoom in on about 4 photos at once, so I can zoom in on 4 at the same time, which is slightly better, but again, if I click to go the the next photo, it throws away my zoom level and I'm zoomed out again when I change images.

Please don't bother to tell me that I don't need this functionality. I do. If you know of any software that will do this, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Ludvig Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: Viewing Images - Maintain Zoom Level Across Multiple Photos

I needed exactly the same feature to compare several images, so I found this program:

http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

I don't think it's supported anymore, but I've been using it for looking through the pictures for years now. Easy to lock the zoom level, scroll level etc, easy to fit to full screen, 1:1 or other zoom levels and a lot of other features.

Ludvig

malch Forum Pro • Posts: 13,914

dukw_butter wrote:

Does anyone know of any software that runs on a PC which will allow me to zoom in on a photo, and then change photos while maintaining the current zoom level?

Fast Picture Viewer (FPV) does this if you hold down the left or right mouse buttons.

Left button gives 100%, right button gives a zoom level specified via a user setting (e.g. 300%).

FPV is also:

• Fast

• Fully color managed (rules out a lot of viewers)

• Excellent for setting rankings, culling, moving etc.

I strongly recommend you grab the free trial and see how it works for you:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/

I'm just a happy user, although the author (AxelR) does post here from time to time.

sensingsys Senior Member • Posts: 1,546

dukw_butter wrote:

The FREE program IrfanView does this, also scroll lock.

OP dukw_butter Junior Member • Posts: 34

sensingsys wrote:

The FREE program IrfanView does this, also scroll lock.

sensingsys - I've used IRFanView for years, but mainly I use it to batch rename my images from IMG_4013.JPG to something meaningful. When I use IRFanView to view photos, if I zoom in on an image, and click on the arrow to go to the next image, it zooms out like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Canon Zoom Browser, and Picasa. Any suggestions of how to get IRFanView to do what I want it to? I'm using version 4.25.

Ludvig wrote:

I needed exactly the same feature to compare several images, so I found this program: http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

Ludvig,

It looks like we may have a winner. I downloaded and installed the freeware version of this and it does exactly what I'm looking for. I did a Right-Click, Options, Viewer, Display Properties, Unselect "Auto-Center", Select "Zoom Lock". Then, I can zoom in/out using + -, drag photo around with the mouse, and go through the images with Page Up/Page Down. I'm surprised people aren't screaming for this feature in other browsers, especially in the age of digital photography.

I shoot a lot of images (26,000+ so far this year), and if you're shooting birds, you want to know "how does this image look, compared to the other 20 I shot of the same bird". With the other software I've found, this is impossible to know. I want to zoom in very tight on the beak or the eye and blow through 20 images. To have to rezoom in for each photo was maddening. Many thanks.

http://www.peeniewallie.com/photos/birds

malch Forum Pro • Posts: 13,914

dukw_butter wrote:

sensingsys - I've used IRFanView for years, but mainly I use it to batch rename my images from IMG_4013.JPG to something meaningful. When I use IRFanView to view photos, if I zoom in on an image, and click on the arrow to go to the next image, it zooms out like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Canon Zoom Browser, and Picasa. Any suggestions of how to get IRFanView to do what I want it to? I'm using version 4.25.

1. Open the first image.
2. Zoom to the desired level.
3. On the IrfanView menu, Select View | Lock Zoom (Shift+L)
4. Browse other images.

I have also been using IrfanView for years without noticing this nifty feature. Thanks to sensingsys for bringing it to our attention.

malch wrote:

1. Open the first image.
2. Zoom to the desired level.
3. On the IrfanView menu, Select View | Lock Zoom (Shift+L)
4. Browse other images.

I have also been using IrfanView for years without noticing this nifty feature. Thanks to sensingsys for bringing it to our attention.

OK. I see what you did there. I have one additional trick to add to get IRFanView to do what I want...after you select View - Lock Zoom (Shift+L), select View - Keep Scroll Position (no keyboard shortcut). This keeps your focus centered on the correct focus point as you move from frame to frame (it doesn't recenter each time.)
Very cool feedback. Thanks for malch and sensingsys for the comments.

OK, well, now that I've tried using both IRFanView and Cam2PC to view multiple photos with the zoom locked, I have to say that Cam2PC beats IRFanView hands down. Why? Because it's faster. It zooms faster. Changes photos faster. Cam2PC is the way to go. It's insane. I can't believe I lived this long without it. Kicking myself now.

Ludvig, I owe you one. Give me your address and I'll shoot you a copy of my book "Killing Strangers".

http://www.killingstrangers.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads