Nex 3 text frames with kit lenses [img]

Started Jul 9, 2010 | Discussions
Magnus W Contributing Member • Posts: 854
Re: Will post RAW-link, here is the link to the RAW file of the car image

bloomoose wrote:

files.me.com/bloomoosey/eedvai
Hope it works.

Yes, it did!

For what you are trying to do, you should (IMO) have "overexposed" that image by one full stop. Then you can pull down the high tones. Now the image is perfectly exposed for direct use, I would say, and I think it's a nice shot as is; but one stop more exposure of the shadows would have helped with noise.

For resolution, you can't expect more than this. Look at the guardrail on top of the roof to the right. If your 6Mp S5 can do that, I'll eat a bug. if you crank up the sharpness with a very small radius, as you seem to have done, you will get lots of fine detail but noise will also be higher (especially when not exposed "for output" as of above). Nothing to do to get around this I'm afraid...

IchiroCameraGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Will post RAW-link, here is the link to the RAW file of the car image

Nothing wrong with this at all, you just have to mess around with a few different ways to process the file.

If you can make out the eyes and mouth of the two ladies sitting with the man at the table that is good resolution for this lighting and the way you exposed it.

Try to do the opposite and actually bring down the shadows or whole image all together.

IchiroCameraGuy's gear list:IchiroCameraGuy's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Samsung NX500 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
bloomoose
OP bloomoose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,224
Good advice, I´ll try to do this [nt]
-- hide signature --
 bloomoose's gear list:bloomoose's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G9 X A3000 Sony a7 Nikon D750 +8 more
Wenetu
Wenetu Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Wenetu

Unlucky Adobe still doesn't has published an ACR beta that could open NEX files (like the version used by DPR) so I converted your file with dcRaw 9.03 to a plain 16 bit tiff that I have developed in LR3:

100% crop:

-- hide signature --

Maurizio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony DSLR-A700 * Zeiss 24-70/2.8 * Sony 50/1.4 * Minolta 70-210/4 * Minolta 75-300/4.5-5.6 * Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 * Sigma 50-500/4-6.3 * Sigma 105/2.8 Macro * Tamron 70-200/2.8 * Metz 54 MZ-4i * Nissin 3200GS

Wenetu's gear list:Wenetu's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a6000 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 24,742
Re: Nex 3 text frames with kit lenses [img]

I do not have this camera but it happens that at a higher ISO value noise blotches are smaller while dynamic range is not affected that much. Second, I think the image is underexposed. It is hardly realistic to keep details in lamps. The main area of interest in the shot starts at -1.3 EV. Third, I plug the noisy shadows. Strong sharpening of noise (very small radius like 0.3 to 0.4) helps make it like pepper grain which I prefer to having it as clusters.

-- hide signature --
bloomoose

Hi Iliah,

nice to have you chime in.

I retook the available light image, same street, and did expose right. I somewhere read that the NEX tends to overexpose which I couldn´t verify. It´s a firmware bug that histograms are not shown when you apply exposure compensation. So I did just that. See this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=35767225

Well, let me know if you will get the camera It´s a compact camera experience with lots of menu scrolling. To me having such a small package is important when I travel and such. It will be essential for Sony to release excellent e-mount primes to make this system work.

Pam

Iliah Borg wrote:

I do not have this camera but it happens that at a higher ISO value noise blotches are smaller while dynamic range is not affected that much. Second, I think the image is underexposed. It is hardly realistic to keep details in lamps. The main area of interest in the shot starts at -1.3 EV. Third, I plug the noisy shadows. Strong sharpening of noise (very small radius like 0.3 to 0.4) helps make it like pepper grain which I prefer to having it as clusters.

-- hide signature --

I retook the available light image, same street, and did expose right.

Looking at the new image you linked I think I would add 2/3 stops more. One interesting thing to check is same shutter speed and aperture but different ISO settings. Does the camera allow automatic ISO bracketing, or one needs to do it manually?

Well, let me know if you will get the camera It´s a compact camera experience with lots of menu scrolling. To me having such a small package is important when I travel and such. It will be essential for Sony to release excellent e-mount primes to make this system work.

For now I think I will stay with my Olympus E-P2 as I have nice primes for it.

-- hide signature --
IchiroCameraGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 888

You can also always do a low volume HDR and you keep the middle exposure with it but it will be JPEG only. The NEX cameras test with more dynamic range than some full frame cameras but this is a very difficult scene.

IchiroCameraGuy's gear list:IchiroCameraGuy's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Samsung NX500 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
mario007 Contributing Member • Posts: 830

they look like a $99 point and shoot camera

-- hide signature --

These is my gear in craiglist :
Minolta Lenses:
50mm f1.4
100-200
28-135
kit lens
Beercan
Sigma Lenses:
135-400
24-60 f2.8
28-200
G glass:
Sony G 70-300

mario007's gear list:mario007's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +5 more
bloomoose

Iliah Borg wrote:

I retook the available light image, same street, and did expose right.

Looking at the new image you linked I think I would add 2/3 stops more. One interesting thing to check is same shutter speed and aperture but different ISO settings. Does the camera allow automatic ISO bracketing, or one needs to do it manually?

Oh, I checked Exifs in PS and both images were taken at ISO 200, f8, about the same time (9.45 pm), the first at 0.5 sec, the other at 1.6 sec. You may be right and I should dial in some more exposure compensation or expose manually after all.

I don´t think auto-ISO bracketing is possible, even regular auto-ISO can´t be modfied. But I´m not familiar with all of the functions. I choose to fix it at ISO 200 if I don´t do candids.

For now I think I will stay with my Olympus E-P2 as I have nice primes for it.

Good choice! I was looking long and hard at the E-P2 and GF-1, but the APS-C sensor was most important to me. Now getting an alpha-adaptor might be a good option, but I´d prefer small and decent e-mount primes ... if Sony won´t provide them, the system will be a failure.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
bloomoose
mario

please post similar images you took with a 99$ camera, thank you.
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam
http://www.model-kartei.de/sedcard/fotograf/184280/

mario007 wrote:

they look like a $99 point and shoot camera

Sad you don't know the difference.

-- hide signature --
bloomoose
ichiro

I think it´s best to follow Iliah´s advice and be careful not to underexpose at all with this camera. If Adobe Lightroom will support its RAW files I´ll check the noise reduction, but for the type of photography I will do on a tripod, I will bracket and then apply some contrast.
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
certianally not what I expected from you not impressed sorry (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478
Blind?

All EXIFs included!

I saw you in reflection

-- hide signature --
Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,893

wow. though that guy was gone for good. he's one of those guys that never took anybodies advice and thus never learned to use his camera. I think Canon now and problably still gets bad results
--
http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/flyer/eye_cancer_en_CA.pdf

bloomoose
digitalshooter ...

so I gather, that your first two test shots of a new camera come out perfect all the time?
--
Greetings from Germany,
Pam

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
absolutely not, its just that I am use to seeing great shots from you

much like aariff, regardless of what you shoot. I dont like the camera.

By no means was my comment meant as a negative statement against you as a photographer.

All of my pictures always come out crappy!

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
tompower53 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,261
Just a typical response from someone who does not like the camera

Don't let it aggravate you - it is actually his response to the camera not you or your shots.

Human nature is funny at times.

Seems you will be an expert with this camera soon and have in mind using it as it was meant.

Surely your wish for high end E mount lenses will come, as it appears this camera model will be wildly successful, but it might be a while before that can be ramped up.

This is the exact camera it seems that Sony has been searching for to vault them forward in there competition with Canikon.
--
tom power

tompower53's gear list:tompower53's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads