FUNGUS inside Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens.

Started Jul 8, 2010 | Discussions
abijimathew
abijimathew Regular Member • Posts: 133
FUNGUS inside Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens.

Dear friends,

Recently I found few fungus patches on a glass element in my 24-70 lens.

It is spreaded in 3-4mm diameter. I am really worried about this matter because some of my friends told me, its a very bad thing happened, and if give for cleaning, the lens do not give its picture quality again.

The lens is 13 months old and it is in its warranty period.

Some other friends told me, do not give it for cleaning, and try to prevent spreading the fungus again.

I took many photos for checking any patched coming in pictures, and did not find any patches in the pictures.

So, here I would like to know your suggestion too,

What I should do for this lens? Should I give for cleaning or keep it as it is by preventing from spreading the fungus again.

Also, suggest me how to prevent the lens from fungus attacks again.

Thanks & Regards,

Biji Mathew

fudgebrown Senior Member • Posts: 2,640
Re: FUNGUS inside Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens.

Do you live in a very humid area? Do you shoot a lot in the rain? Curious how your weather-sealed 24-70 has fungus...

-- hide signature --

'Procrastinate now, don't put it off.'

'Vista is the ME of our generation.' - John C. Dvorak

fudgebrown's gear list:fudgebrown's gear list
Nikon D810 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
WalterH Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Fisrt thing to do is to keep the lens (all other lenses as well) in a dry environment.
A metal case with a desiccant would be the simplest solution.

A more elaborate case would include a regulated low power heating element like a small light bulb of low power to regulate the internal temperature a few degrees above ambient temperature.

An occasional sun-bath without lens caps and aperture wide open can help to kill the fungus in the lens.
Just make sure that the sunlight is not focused on any object that could ignite.

Once there you got plenty of time to think it over if you need repair of the lens.

Obviously the repair would normally not be covered by warranty.

I personally would send the lens to nikon for a checkup and evaluation of repair cost.

Take this as a warning sign to keep all equipment in dry condition.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

abijimathew
OP abijimathew Regular Member • Posts: 133

Dear Mr. Fudgebrown,

I am from India, I used to keep my lens attached to the camera (D700)
and kept in the Lowepro Computrekker AW bag. It never exposed to rain or water.

The friends here told me that, it happened because I kept it in the camera bag.

In the camera bag, I used to keep few packets of Silica Gel to avoid moisture.

But my bad luck, it has happened.

Regards,

Biji Mathew

tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085

Biji, not sure how you can stop the spread but my first thought is if you have caught it early then getting it cleaned might be a good idea. Fungus spreads and can damage the glass.

Second part is easy. Get a Digi-Cab (brand name for a dry cab.). I live in Goa and have two of them and am getting ready to order a third. I get mine from these people and they ship to Goa. They are imported from Singapore. You might find a dealer in Kerala:

http://www.kalabhai.com/products/photooptics/photooptics.htm

There are other options to store you lenses but this is my preferred

I have not been to Kottayam for years. Bet it has grown since 1997 I have been to North Kerala many times driving from Goa. Love "Gods Country" !
--
Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,426

After 13 months already?

That is very very quick, you probable live in a very humid part of India.
I would let it check by Nikon, fungus can be removed/internally can be cleaned.

I keep most of my lenses and camera's I don't use in a large B&W photocase, lots of sacs of silica gel are inside too. Works good.
Michel

abijimathew wrote:

Dear friends,

Recently I found few fungus patches on a glass element in my 24-70 lens.

It is spreaded in 3-4mm diameter. I am really worried about this matter because some of my friends told me, its a very bad thing happened, and if give for cleaning, the lens do not give its picture quality again.

The lens is 13 months old and it is in its warranty period.

Some other friends told me, do not give it for cleaning, and try to prevent spreading the fungus again.

I took many photos for checking any patched coming in pictures, and did not find any patches in the pictures.

So, here I would like to know your suggestion too,

What I should do for this lens? Should I give for cleaning or keep it as it is by preventing from spreading the fungus again.

Also, suggest me how to prevent the lens from fungus attacks again.

Thanks & Regards,

Biji Mathew

-- hide signature --

Disclaimer: Posts written by me are my views, ideas and opinions only, and should not be taken as facts, unless stated otherwise.

Light is eveything

http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/fotopropaganda-blog/
http://www.pbase.com/photopropaganda

abijimathew

Dear Mr. Walter & Mr. Tommie,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

After noticing this fungus attack, I used to keep a GOODNIGHT machine (without mat) inside the bag and powered it ON and close the bag leaving only the power cable outside the bag.

I found this makes the temperature inside the bag WARM compare to the outside temperature.

Tommie, are you from Kottayam?
Would like to know about you

Regards,

Biji Mathew
0091 9895584928

abijimathew

Here is the picture of fungus inside my Nikon 24-70mm lens

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

I would send it to Nikon immediately for cleaning. The longer you wait, the more damage can occur.

Silica gel can become saturated and be a source of moisture. It needs to be taken out and baked periodically to dry it. In a very humid climate, this can needs to be done frequently. Best to use a gel that turns color when saturated.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

robertofabbri Regular Member • Posts: 366

abijimathew wrote:

Dear Mr. Fudgebrown,

I am from India, I used to keep my lens attached to the camera (D700)
and kept in the Lowepro Computrekker AW bag. It never exposed to rain or water.

It is not the "rain or water" but HUMIDITY; nevertheless fungus is more common in telephoto lenses, first time I hear in a small zoom.

The friends here told me that, it happened because I kept it in the camera bag.

Not true!

In the camera bag, I used to keep few packets of Silica Gel to avoid moisture.

The silica inside a camera bag is useless, it will absorb moisture in very short time, I live in constant humidity over 80%, very critical for telephoto lenses, when not in use I keep "all" my gear inside a Pelican case with silica and an humidity gauge, in a A/C room, no problems.

But my bad luck, it has happened.

Yes you are right, but to save the lens the ONLY choice is to send it right away to the Nikon service, I doubt the problem is covered under warranty.

Good Luck
--
Roberto Fabbri
http://www.robertofabbri-wildlife.com

abijimathew

Thank you, Mr. Robin and Mr. Robert.
I will send it to Nikon at the earliest.

I would like to clear one doubt of mine.
Is there any problem happens in its optical quality if they open the lens
and fix it back?

Regards,
Biji

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

abijimathew wrote:

and fix it back?

Only if they do a bad job; in which case you would send it back to them to correct.

-- hide signature --
reck Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
Cleaning advice

abijimathew wrote:

Since the lens can't focus on something inside it, you won't see patches in any test photos. The effect you will see is a general loss of contrast. I have a badly affected Soviet Mir-26 which takes pictures that make my local desert landscape look like the fog has rolled in off the ocean. Since yours is on a front element and off to the side, it might manifest as fog rolling in from one side.

Below is some commentary on the subject. I think chances are good that your lens can be cleaned and not show ill effects. Not all fungus corrodes coatings. You might get quotes from both Nikon and non-Nikon repair shops.

http://www.mypentax.com/Fungus.html

abijimathew wrote:

Thank you, Mr. Robin and Mr. Robert.
I will send it to Nikon at the earliest.

I would like to clear one doubt of mine.
and fix it back?

No if you send the lens to Nikon India, the question is if they will be able to fix it or they will need to send it to Japan! Years and years ago I sent a 300 mm f/2.8 to Nikon USA for the same problem and after $400.00 the lens was like new.

Your only option is to send it ASAP for repair, fungus will spread no matter what you'll do to the lens.

-- hide signature --
RJI2009 Forum Member • Posts: 65

I heard that if the lenses are used frequently fungus will not appear?

RJI2009 wrote:

I heard that if the lenses are used frequently fungus will not appear?

The fungus is consequence of very wet environment, high humidity over 70%; my 300 f/2.8 'contracted' fungus in San Francisco, lens was stored inside a wood cabinet, moisture was around 24/24. Fungus takes a long time to generate but I have no idea how long. I travel in very humid environments for more than 5 weeks at the time and never had a problem.

Take care of your lenses ....
--
Roberto Fabbri
http://www.robertofabbri-wildlife.com

NClens Regular Member • Posts: 216
You can use a UV light to stop it spreading

You can use a UV light to kill the fungus. Obviously, you have to be somewhat careful handling the light or looking directly into the element.

FKS
FKS Senior Member • Posts: 2,896

i doubt that focal length has a bearing on fungus susceptibility. all my lenses from when i lived in the tropics in the '80's had fungus (35mm, 50mm, 35-70mm, 200mm).

robertofabbri wrote:

nevertheless fungus is more common in telephoto lenses, first time I hear in a small zoom.

FKS's gear list:FKS's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-E2 +19 more
abijimathew

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I contacted a Nikon Service Engineer, who is into this field since many years and told him about the fungus issue of my lens. He told me that, the authorised service centre of Nikon in India, do not have the facility to open and clean such type of lenses. And suppose if they do it, the optical quality will not come 100% as it was before.

He told me only in Tokyo they have all the facilities to repair/clean such type lenses.

So he suggested me to PREVENT spreading the fungus.

Regards,

Biji Mathew

tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085
Re: Biji, Wow, unsat! That should .....

surprise me but it doesn't. Which service center did you talk to, Gurgaon? I watch my lenses closely but I would sure want to have the facility available if I needed it. I wonder if that means that they cannot do anything with "such type" lenses? There are Japanese Managers at at least a couple of service centers and they are gradually getting local staff trained by bringing techs in from Japan and sending local staff to Japan. I will make a couple of calls also.
Cheers,
--
Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong

Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads