Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras

Started Jul 4, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
mbalek007 New Member • Posts: 1
Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras

I have a question if anyone can answer. Currently I'm an owner of Minolta Maxxum 400si with stock minolta lens as well as Quantaray 28-200mm lens, I'm planning on upgrading the camera do digital SLR, now I have couple of questions.

1. Is Quantaray 28-200 minolta lens compatible with Sony alpha camera's in full capacity?

2. If it is should I go ahead with Sony purchase, or should I opt out for another system i.e. canon or nikon camera?
Thanks
Mark

Tubal Contributing Member • Posts: 709
Re: Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras

1. Yes (for the most part, any lens that will work with a Minolta Maxxum mount will fit any Sony alpha DSLR).

2. Depends who you ask. Every person will give you a different answer. You don't have much invested in Sony mount glass, so I wouldn't limit yourself to Sony just because you have the Quantaray. I personally use Sony and love it.

Tubal's gear list:Tubal's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 +10 more
madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 3,456
Re: Quantaray 28-200mm for minolta and sony alpha cameras

In all likelihood, your quantaray was manufactured by Sigma.

There is an excellent chance it will function correctly on a Sony digital body but there is a slight chance that due to age and chip compatibility that it will not function.

Take the lens down to a local Ritz/Wolf and see if you can try it on a Sony body.
--

In god we trust, all others are suspects

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads