What is wrong with my S90?

Started Jun 27, 2010 | Discussions
migsan New Member • Posts: 14
What is wrong with my S90?

I have a S90 for a few days now. Many times, either on P or AUTO modes, the display will present a "shaking" scene (image moving back and forth a few millimeters in the display).

At first I thought it was the way for the camera software to warn me about possible camera shake while taking a shot a too slow speed without a tripod. Later I found out there is an special orange sign to tell you this on the display.

This particular shot was taken with a green light on the focus LED and the camera being perfectly still (but display showing a motion blur of the scene). So I guess it is the sensor what is moving in this case but I do not have a clue so as to why or what to do to avoid it.

I have tried disabling IS, AF Servo, i-contrast, AiAF to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.

Miguel

Mr Roygbiv rainbow Senior Member • Posts: 1,891
Re: What is wrong with my S90?

Reset to factory setings , put it down on table , point and shoot on timer control , ( 2 or 10 sec ) and lets see what you get .
--
Roygbiv

OP migsan New Member • Posts: 14

Hi,

I reseted the camera to default settings. Used a tripod and timer to shoot this picture.

Same problem (poorer lit scene).

Any other ideas?

I've added a video on how the problem is seen when viewed from the display when the camera is on a tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihzdT3VACiE

OhioBowhunter Regular Member • Posts: 261

If you are sure it was not vibrating/moving when the shot was taken, then you must have a defective camera. I would take it back in a second.

Now try putting it on a flat surface and run it in movie mode , then after 30 secs pick it up and walk around 30 secs all the time observing the screen . See what you get when you play back . If this works , then I would think that senser is vibrating to the kick from shutter mechanism and its going to need a ride back to where it came from and see what they make of it .
--
Roygbiv

Yes, camera was totally still on a tripod on that shot.

That is exactly the type of answer I was waiting for. I thought it was a camera defect but I was worried it might have been an auto inflicted problem for lack of knowledge about the camera.

Thanks a lot, I'm just now writing the seller asking for an exchange. I just hope they won't drag me to Canon service as it is only a few days old.

Kind regards,

Miguel

Sorry , I was slow at posting , missed two . Its not looking good , send it back !
--
Roygbiv

Hi Mr Roygbiv,

You're right, video mode also renders a fuzzy video in this case. Maybe noise can also be relevant for the trained ear (just guessing). I'm now convinced my unit is defective. I'm uploading it to youtube but it'll take a few minutes.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Miguel

This is the result of shooting in video mode the same scene with a tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-yGEZ-yXw

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,607

Where did you buy it?

Here is when you smile while looking at me: I bought it on eBay.

Seller had a good price and claimed 1 year warranty was in place too.

Seller has a good reputation and I hope they will handle this in a professional way.

I want to thank you all for your prompt and friendly help.

Miguel

Anfy
Anfy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,459
Cool!

I spend literally hours to achieve such an effect (not joking!)... however I understand it can be unpleasant for you on most pictures.

Ciao!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

Gary Foreman
Gary Foreman Senior Member • Posts: 1,538
Re: Cool!

Can you turn the Image Stabilization off and see if the problen exists?
--
G-Man, D700, D300, P6000, G10, DMC-TZ5
Northern, VA

Gary Foreman's gear list:Gary Foreman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
tsinvest Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

I would agree...don't waste any more time with it....just take it (or send it) back. Something is obviously wrong with your S90.

Mr Roygbiv rainbow wrote:

Sorry , I was slow at posting , missed two . Its not looking good , send it back !
--
Roygbiv

-- hide signature --

My best, Tom

tsinvest's gear list:tsinvest's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D80 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 +16 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,607

Hope everything works out for you.

If you paid for it using Paypal you may be able to get a refund.

Hi,

I understand that certain desired motion blur can be a nice thing, but only when you want it. The problem I am reporting is that it happens, from time to time, when my camera wants.

Cheers,

Miguel

Yes, I paid using PayPal and they always are a good second line of defense. But I hope I could get it solved with the seller.

Thanks,

Miguel

dave_bass5
dave_bass5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,284

Gary Foreman wrote:

Can you turn the Image Stabilization off and see if the problen exists?
--
G-Man, D700, D300, P6000, G10, DMC-TZ5
Northern, VA

Thats what i was thinking. It looks to me like IS is playing up.

Send it back and good luck.
--
Dave.

Gallery @
http://davepearce.smugmug.com
S90 Shots @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/sets/72157622647970370/
FZ38 Shots @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/sets/72157623847343904/

Videos @ http://www.vimeo.com/user464364/videos

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 +10 more

I foolishly decided to go on with the repair. It was supposed to take one month. It's only done in Germany. Now it is going to take two months.

I just wanted to voice my frustration. Of course this summer holidays will go without the S90 I just bought for that same purpose.

I should have taken the refund when it was offered to me.

I think Canon should double check if repair time is within reason. I've heard other people have got a brand new unit.

I'll try to keep this experience at hand next time I'm planning to buy a new camera. Are you listening, Canon?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads