New suspiciusly cheap camera store

Started Jun 24, 2010 | Discussions
Tony Lehto New Member • Posts: 23
New suspiciusly cheap camera store

Hello!

Anyone tried this internet store which claims to be tax-free:

http://www.digitalwaystore.com

Prices are very low, but only if you pay with bank transfer. I wonder why they add 17% in case of credit card payment? Just to make people use bank transfer which is not a secure internet payment because you can't cancel the transaction.

Makes me wonder if its a fraud? I also can't confirm the VAT numbers they announce on any EU sites. Maybe that's because they're VAT free?

ubique New Member • Posts: 3
Re: New suspiciusly cheap camera store

I came across a D90 body only on this store and thought it was a great offer!! I was suspicious and checked the VAT number with the EU database and it said the number was invalid, but that might be an error on my part??

I checked with companies house in the UK and found some interesting info on them i.e. the company address does not match the one on the website although there are simple explanations for this.

They haven't filed a tax return since 2008 and there looks to be a 'Proposal To Strike Off' notice listed against them it would appear. Not sure what this might imply tho as not a company law legal eagle?!

Their date of incorporation is also different to what they claim on their site too....

There is nothing here that says its certainly a 'con job' as company information is often out of date!

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/e9b92e3c0179486a3000f582e62193cf/compdetails

Mike Keating New Member • Posts: 3

I am also very suspecious of this site. Too many things do not add up. Beware!

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400

I also don't like internet vendors who take you on a wild roller coaster ride around the world when you are on their web site.

I clicked on the D90 banner that was posted on their main page and it took me eight clicks of the mouse and about five minutes before I actually found the D90 package that was mentioned on their home page.

You'd think that one click on the D90 banner would have taken me directly to the D90 instead of making me search for it.

To me . . . this kind of treatment spells SCAM!

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

Yidahoo
Yidahoo Regular Member • Posts: 402

If you look in Google maps and street view, you will see the registered address is just a suburban house in East London.
--
http://www.jasonrowphotography.co.uk (Our Photography Site)
http://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography (Our New Video Channel)
http://www.jasonrow.wordpress.com
'Travel is the antidote to racism, bigotry and prejudice' Mark Twain

Yidahoo's gear list:Yidahoo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
lumigraphics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320
If its too good to be true...

IT’S A SCAM!!!!!

Fish323 Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

Yidahoo wrote:

If you look in Google maps and street view, you will see the registered address is just a suburban house in East London.
--

Want me to check it out, I live in East London???
I will look it is just around the corner from me!!

Fish323 Senior Member • Posts: 1,082
102 Boleyn Road E7

I just went round. It is a residential house. Despite having a van parked on the drive, all the windows open and me hearing voices inside no-one would answer the door. Nuff said I think.

BRJR Forum Pro • Posts: 13,641
Re: "To me . . . this kind of treatment spells ..."

Or, they're not good at designing web sites.

-- hide signature --

BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

I also don't like internet vendors who take you on a wild roller coaster ride around the world when you are on their web site.

I clicked on the D90 banner that was posted on their main page and it took me eight clicks of the mouse and about five minutes before I actually found the D90 package that was mentioned on their home page.

You'd think that one click on the D90 banner would have taken me directly to the D90 instead of making me search for it.

To me . . . this kind of treatment spells SCAM!

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
Panagiotis Feloukas
Panagiotis Feloukas New Member • Posts: 4

i just added an order (canon lens). I choose bank transfer but I did not find any bank account. I replied to them wating for extra info.
--
PFel

Panagiotis Feloukas's gear list:Panagiotis Feloukas's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Yidahoo
Yidahoo Regular Member • Posts: 402

Having read through the posts, I wonder why you are choosing to use them?

Panagiotis Feloukas wrote:

i just added an order (canon lens). I choose bank transfer but I did not find any bank account. I replied to them wating for extra info.
--
PFel

-- hide signature --

http://www.jasonrowphotography.co.uk (Our Photography Site)
http://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography (Our New Video Channel)
http://www.jasonrow.wordpress.com
'Travel is the antidote to racism, bigotry and prejudice' Mark Twain

Yidahoo's gear list:Yidahoo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Panagiotis Feloukas

IN ORDER TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS REAL :)... I STILL HAVE NO REPLY... SO EVEN IF I WANTED TO BUY ANYTHING, THEY DONT SUPPLY ME WITH A BANK ACCOUNT.
--
PFel

Canon EOS 6D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Water Focus Regular Member • Posts: 343

Thanks to the OP and others on this thread. I found this site (I think from an advertisement on this forum - but could be wrong.) Will check again to see where I found it, and will post again if I do. They have a Canon 7D body only listed at 949.95 euros, which I thought was very (too) could value. The cheapest 7D I can buy online from a reputable Dutch dealer (bought a lens from in the past) is 1259 euros. I was tempted, but I just felt it was too good to be true.

Best to stay away, but I have to say they have a very professional looking website.

Panagiotis Feloukas

They replied. They sent me their bank account number. I dont know though if I can trust them. So I canceled the order. Maybe a credit card would be better... But I will remember them because their prices are really amazing! Maybe in the future I will order again....
--
PFel

BRJR Forum Pro • Posts: 13,641

If, you can't find them listed and with a high rating on the site below, don't waste your time --- and, for any online site that doesn't accept a credit card payment (your main help in cases of fraud), similarly don't waste your time or do business with them & always have enough sense to never give out your personal banking/savings/ account info to online merchants:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

-- hide signature --

BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

Tony Lehto wrote:

Hello!

Anyone tried this internet store which claims to be tax-free:

http://www.digitalwaystore.com

Prices are very low, but only if you pay with bank transfer. I wonder why they add 17% in case of credit card payment? Just to make people use bank transfer which is not a secure internet payment because you can't cancel the transaction.

Makes me wonder if its a fraud? I also can't confirm the VAT numbers they announce on any EU sites. Maybe that's because they're VAT free?

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
rriveros Senior Member • Posts: 1,407

Panagiotis Feloukas wrote:

But I will remember them because their prices are really amazing! Maybe in the future I will order again....
--
PFel

Let us know how it goes. I could use a good laugh.

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,095
why do people even bother asking?

Jeeesh, I meet a man in a dark alley who would sell me car radios for 80% off. Is it a scam? I don't know, better go and ask everyone . . .

pixelless Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: why do people even bother asking?

$1000 euros for a T2i w/ 18-55IS lens, and $600 euros for D90 w/18-105VR!

FRCS New Member • Posts: 3

I have sent 3 questions to them but no reply. I tried to phone them, but the message was that the number was unavailable. The only logical reason I can see for the huge credit card surcharge is to drive away business from the credit card and pick up some of it for direct money transfer which is rediculous to get security for.

Conclusion: It appears by their own evidence that they are either a fraud or at least so innefficient and bad in business that you wouldn'y want to deal with them. I would like to know what the UK regulator is doing?

FRCS New Member • Posts: 3

The one response I did receive was with their bank account details:
Bank: NatWest Bank
Bank Address: 25 Corporation St, Northans, NN17 1NR, United Kingdom
Account: Digitalway
SWIFT/BIC: NWBKGB2L
IBAN: GB42 NWBK 6006 1129 1791 30

Has anyone actually received anything from them after sending money? I haven't seen a single posting where that has happened yet. Perhaps, someone should rport them to NatWest Bank?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads