A few more Oly rumors

Started Jun 4, 2010 | Discussions
GW Photo Junior Member • Posts: 40
A few more Oly rumors

Hi all

Just got back from PMA Melbourne. Spoke to 2 olympus reps.
Both confirmed olympus commitment to DSLR and Lens production.

One rep told me there is a pro spec DSLR on the way. It will use the pen's TruePic V
"and a few other surprises that will make it quite a remarkable camera"
I was told an announcement is due at photokina 2010.

I went to the show looking for an oly alternative, but after some discussion and a play with the super pro lens line up, im happy to stick with olympus. (Cause i didnt want to change systems anyway,)

Glen

-- hide signature --

Olympus 4/3

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: A few more Oly rumors

hi Glen
did you happen to speak to a Japanese looking guy named Lucas by any chance?

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
dab1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

Glen,

Thanks for the update, good to know.

GW Photo wrote:

Hi all

Just got back from PMA Melbourne. Spoke to 2 olympus reps.
Both confirmed olympus commitment to DSLR and Lens production.

One rep told me there is a pro spec DSLR on the way. It will use the pen's TruePic V
"and a few other surprises that will make it quite a remarkable camera"
I was told an announcement is due at photokina 2010.

I went to the show looking for an oly alternative, but after some discussion and a play with the super pro lens line up, im happy to stick with olympus. (Cause i didnt want to change systems anyway,)

Glen

OP GW Photo Junior Member • Posts: 40

nope. both from Queensland. I did hint a few things like mirror less, full frame etc but he wasn't giving too much away. Is the guy you mentioned a good source of info?
--
Olympus 4/3

ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698
that's nice

should cut down the system obsoletion mass hysteria here for oh.. a few minutes?

too bad we'll have to wait until photokina for an announcement. will it be a simultaneous announcement with immediate availability? or will we have to wait even more.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +38 more
OP GW Photo Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: that's nice

dont know,

He had obviously taken olympus's oath of silence cause he wasn't giving too much away

Glen

-- hide signature --

Olympus 4/3

Rriley

GW Photo wrote:

nope. both from Queensland. I did hint a few things like mirror less, full frame etc but he wasn't giving too much away. Is the guy you mentioned a good source of info?

he says what he knows given some time and encouragement, trouble is they do keep stuff pretty tight, and his refreshers on information depend a lot on when his last trip back to Tokyo was

-- hide signature --

Olympus 4/3

-- hide signature --

Riley

Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Winder Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

This September is going to be huge for almost every manufacturer. Canon 1DsIV, Sony A7xx and maybe A9xx, Pentax K-7 replacement and 1 higher grade body, Panasonic GH2, and then there is all the glass.

No telling what Olympus will bring out. E-x model? E-xx model? Will we see a higher grade m4/4 that compares to the E-620 or higher? Will Olympus try to roll out a GH1 competitor?

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
Kurt Petersen Senior Member • Posts: 2,573

He'd be the man in the know.

Rriley wrote:

hi Glen

-- hide signature --

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Kurt Petersen's gear list:Kurt Petersen's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +6 more
ShatteredSky
ShatteredSky Senior Member • Posts: 2,044

Winder wrote:

Will we see a higher grade m4/4 that compares to the E-620 or higher?

That would be nice, a rugged offroad version

Cheers

Claudius
--
Member of the LAGIMESCE

(local action group for introduction of mandatory environmental sealing in consumer
electronics)

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Samsung NX300 Olympus E-PL7 Samsung NX500 +3 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,961
Speaking of rumors

it seems 43rumors site is down

But google 43rumors and click on 'cashed' to read the last rumor about a possible prototype spotting
--
Art P
Select images may be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sigvarius/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecropia_grove/

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Rriley

Kurt Petersen wrote:

He'd be the man in the know.

the guy that really knows who has a public face, and who has a hand in calling the shots, is Toshiyuki Terada

Rriley wrote:

hi Glen

-- hide signature --

Riley

-- hide signature --

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller

-- hide signature --

Riley

zigi_S Senior Member • Posts: 2,219
Re: Speaking of rumors

I saw the cached site. Looks strange. Maybe the E-5 will be a modular camera if the 43 rumors is down due to this rumor. It would be logical that the high end camera would be able to use all zuiko lenses that means even the micros. To do that you had to remove the mirror and use an EVF.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeegee/

Winder Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Re: Speaking of rumors

I hope we see some HG or SHG primes. I know zooms are top notch, but there are a lot of events that I do where 2-3 primes would be even better. 12mm, 40mm, & 65mm would do. There is already a 25mm f/1.4 and 30mm/50mm Sigmas.

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
WGArts2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,073

GW Photo wrote:

--
Olympus 4/3

Full frame??? Oly already IS full-frame. The frame being the size of the 4/3 sensor. If you're thinking the next Oly 4/3 camera will resolve a full 35mm frame, you are sadly misinformed about 4/3.

Mirrorless?? Wouldn't that make it an M4/3?

The Big One Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564

Winder wrote:

No telling what Olympus will bring out. E-x model? E-xx model? Will we see a higher grade m4/4 that compares to the E-620 or higher? Will Olympus try to roll out a GH1 competitor?

Speaking of µ4/4, I'm hoping for the following, although I know it won't happen:

1. Mirrorless camera with nice large, quick, low latency EVF

2. 4/4 (square) sensor with silent electronic shutter for very fast shutter and sync (hoping for 1/16000, with non-FP synch all the way)

3. Fast CDAF which works with all existing 4/3 lenses, including Sigmas (I love my Sigma lenses!)

4. Video (of course, but that is a given)

5. Direct access buttons to all common functions

6. Form factor similar to 620 or 30, preferably with two control wheels, top LCD, etc. A smaller 30 body (the size of the 620) would be wonderful if they could keep the features, but there may not be enough room.

7. Weatherproof would be nice, but not needed for me (especially if it adds an extra $500 to the price)

If they could implement all this properly, that would be a winner in my books! YMMV, of course, and to each their own.

Here's to hoping

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698

WGArts wrote:

Full frame??? Oly already IS full-frame. The frame being the size of the 4/3 sensor. If you're thinking the next Oly 4/3 camera will resolve a full 35mm frame, you are sadly misinformed about 4/3.

well, like you said, 4/3 is indeed a full frame re: the 4/3 specifications. no one said anything about 135-film size, I think?? of course, a bit suspect of a statement, but I took it as the rep just having a bit of fun.

not sure if the mirrorbox is a requirement of the 4/3 standard, but M4/3 specifies a smaller diameter mount and a shorter flange distance than 4/3 (of course). simply taking out the mirror, leaving a ton of open space between the 4/3 mount and sensor, would still make it 4/3, although quite the unconventional 4/3 body.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +38 more
amalric
amalric Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839

ayt wrote:

not sure if the mirrorbox is a requirement of the 4/3 standard, but M4/3 specifies a smaller diameter mount and a shorter flange distance than 4/3 (of course). simply taking out the mirror, leaving a ton of open space between the 4/3 mount and sensor, would still make it 4/3, although quite the unconventional 4/3 body.

Funny to think that all who resisted µ4/3 have to make up their minds about getting a contraption which will offer a clunky dual choice, in the shape of modules.

I can't still really believe it

Am.

-- hide signature --
manny_d Regular Member • Posts: 257
I don't believe it either

it won't be 4/3. it's m43 variant.

amalric
amalric Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839
Re: I don't believe it either

manny_d wrote:

it won't be 4/3. it's m43 variant.

Possibly the sliding unit being the mirrored adapter? Still wouldn't it be easier, and perhaps cheaper to have two separate cameras?

If that is the E-5, does it mean that no other 4/3 camera will be made?
Seems like dematerialising a format by modules.

Am.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads