Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

Started May 31, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
DimensionSeven Contributing Member • Posts: 860
Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

I've recently stumbled upon this nice review comparing circular polarisers: http://lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html

One question that came to my mind: the econo winner, the Fujiyama Digital DHG Circular P.L.D. looks hauntingly similar (same looks, same triangle, same typography) to the slim Soligor DHG circ. pol. filters I'm using currently. Is this a coincidence or are these the same Marumi products distributed under different brand names in different regions? Would be cool, 'cause the price of the B+W Kaesemanns are huge.

Thanks for your input!

 DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +9 more
DimensionSeven OP Contributing Member • Posts: 860
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters
 DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +9 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,674
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

DimensionSeven wrote:

... the econo winner, the Fujiyama Digital DHG Circular P.L.D. looks hauntingly similar (same looks, same triangle, same typography) to the slim Soligor DHG circ. pol. filters I'm using currently. Is this a coincidence or are these the same Marumi products distributed under different brand names in different regions?

I just did a quick Google search for "soligor marumi" to find pages which mentioned both names and the answer seems to be yes.

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,515
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

DimensionSeven wrote:

I've recently stumbled upon this nice review comparing circular polarisers: http://lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html

One question that came to my mind: the econo winner, the Fujiyama Digital DHG Circular P.L.D. looks hauntingly similar (same looks, same triangle, same typography) to the slim Soligor DHG circ. pol. filters I'm using currently. Is this a coincidence or are these the same Marumi products distributed under different brand names in different regions? Would be cool, 'cause the price of the B+W Kaesemanns are huge.

Thanks for your input!

well soligor sure looks like a company that buys other products and puts their sticker on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soligor

and according to the lenstip test, fujiyama belongs to Marumi
and the filter tests looks very very similar:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html

so, indeed, could be pretty much the same thing.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

 photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

Marumi sells most of its filters under other labels, so your guess as to sourcing of these products may be correct. However that doesn't mean that the top rated Marumi Super DHG CP is equivalent to the Fujiyama, and it obviously isn't based upon the test results. Fujiyama filters all scored in the bottom half. Marumi also has at least 3 grades of CP, including the modestly priced DHG line. In the US, one supplier of Marumi is 2filter.com and a 77mm DHG CP is $69.

did you realize that the lens tip review has a supplement that covers additional filters including the popular Hoya HD (which came in 6th) ?

http://lenstip.com/119.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_-_supplement.html

Mike K

 Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
DimensionSeven OP Contributing Member • Posts: 860
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

I found Hoyas quite difficult to clean, therefore they are not an option.

 DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +9 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,674
Re: Fujiyama vs. Soligor vs. Marumi filters

DimensionSeven wrote:

I found Hoyas quite difficult to clean, therefore they are not an option.

The Hoya HD which Mike K mentioned is different and has an easy-to-clean coating.

Much more expensive than Marumi though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads