EP-1 with 35mm f1.7 CCTV Lens Photo Samples

Started May 28, 2010 | Discussions
kaskasg New Member • Posts: 6
EP-1 with 35mm f1.7 CCTV Lens Photo Samples

Just received my c-mount to m43 adapter ring and 35mm f1.7 and took it out for a walk. Almost all pictures are shot at f1.7. I am impressed with the overall look and sharpness of this cheap (30,- euro) lens. Does anybody else use this lens and what do you think about it?

JoeBenjamin
JoeBenjamin Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: EP-1 with 35mm f1.7 CCTV Lens Photo Samples

What brand is it and where did you find it?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joebenjamin/

OP kaskasg New Member • Posts: 6

Found it on Ebay under the name:

35mm f/1.7 C Mount CCTV F1.7 Lens for EP1 EP2 G1 GH1 GF1

And the adapter is use is an adapter from RJ camera, also on eBay.

efix Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

Very nice rendering. Did you crop the images? I see no vignetting!

I have a 25/1.4 from Pentax which is also very nice, but has some vignetting. I was considering this lens as well, so it's nice to see it delivers

efix's gear list:efix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 +17 more
Grimspoon Forum Member • Posts: 70

Really enjoyed these photos. I might consider this lens just for the novelty!

Inspected the lens itself and the brand is 'Fujian'.

The photos are resizes from the originals, so no cropping. Did a bit of curves for contrast and some smart sharpen in ps.

Just ordered the 25mm f1.4 version

Some luck with the next photo, love the high shutter speeds with this aperture:

degger Contributing Member • Posts: 698

kaskasg wrote:

Does anybody else use this lens and what do you think about it?

I have it and I really like it, though I mostly use it for video since I have better lenses for pictures.

Pros:

• Decent manual controls for video

• Aperture ring is closer to the camera (and stepless!) than the focus, while many c-mount lenses, e.g. the 25mm you mentioned are the other way round

• Quite small

• Fast aperture

• About the cheapest lens I ever bought!

• Very little (almost none) vigneting

Con:

• Unrealistic colors and contrast

• Cheap build quality (aperture or focus may operate sluggish some times)

• Crazy/nervous bokeh (if you check the aperture blades you'll see why )

• Fitting some c-mount adaptors is tricky due to the diameter

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

kaskasg wrote:

Just ordered the 25mm f1.4 version

The 25mm, which I have, too is nothing like the 35mm. Operation is even more sluggish on my sample most of the time, it has aperture and focus reversed from the usual setting. It's quality is not quite as good as the 35mm and I personally find it too close to the 20mm f1.7 to be useful.

I ordered both together and I'm not using the 25mm very much.

You can see it the picture from my other post where it is next to the 35mm.

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

kahren Regular Member • Posts: 167

please post more samples, some with objects closer to the camera would be nice to see.

Some more examples:

Shot wide-open or near wide-open. Just received the 25mm 1.4 lens, build quality seems less sturdy than the 35mm version.

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,243
PLEASE: What is the adapter you are using with the 35mm?

Do you have any description of the adapter used with this lens? I cannot seem to find an rj adapter for cmount. Do you have a photo of your set-up?
--

I refuse to wed myself to any of these vendors. I'm just having fun taking pictures,
and watching the technology develop.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Re: PLEASE: What is the adapter you are using with the 35mm?

I ordered this C-Mount to M43 adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-Bolex-C-Panasonic-G1-GH1-micro-4-3-adapter-E-P1-/200376169192

But I thnik there are more adapters out there that are compatible to these lenses.

The lens from Pentax in the picture, is that also c-mount?

kaskasg wrote:

The lens from Pentax in the picture, is that also c-mount?

Yes. A 12mm f1.2. It vignettes quite a lot so you'll have to like the keyhole effect to like this lens.

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

Jamie Watts Regular Member • Posts: 185
25mm should be Cosmicar

I have the 35 that is the subject of this post, and it's a fun lens for sure. If you want a 25mm, though, you should get the Pentax Cosmicar 25mm f1.4, which appears on eBay regularly, or can be had new at B&H for $90. It's an excellent lens, and it vignettes only slightly in the extreme corners. As far as wider lenses, many have noted that the Computar 12.5mm f1.3 has the best coverage - I have this as well, and though it takes about 30min of work with a file to get it to properly seat in a C mount adapter, it is a fun lens. It vignettes fairly heavily, but does allow for a crop to square with minimal extreme corner vignetting.

Still heavily favor the Pentax 18mm f2.8 Auto 110 lens though - along wit the 25mm f1.4 Cosmicar it is my most-used M43 lens.

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,243
Re: 25mm should be Cosmicar

Just curious, but what advantage would the Pentax 18 mm have over the Lumix 20mm 1.7, or is it the look and colors.

I just ordered the 35mm being discussed, as that's a fl not covered yet by m43 lenses. I do like the legacy lens effects, but I was just curious if you think the 18 is really a different experience than the m43 20mm.

I might look at that Computar you mentioned. What about the various 8.5 mm lenses on bay, or do they vignette heavily.

Jamie Watts wrote:

I have the 35 that is the subject of this post, and it's a fun lens for sure. If you want a 25mm, though, you should get the Pentax Cosmicar 25mm f1.4, which appears on eBay regularly, or can be had new at B&H for $90. It's an excellent lens, and it vignettes only slightly in the extreme corners. As far as wider lenses, many have noted that the Computar 12.5mm f1.3 has the best coverage - I have this as well, and though it takes about 30min of work with a file to get it to properly seat in a C mount adapter, it is a fun lens. It vignettes fairly heavily, but does allow for a crop to square with minimal extreme corner vignetting.

Still heavily favor the Pentax 18mm f2.8 Auto 110 lens though - along wit the 25mm f1.4 Cosmicar it is my most-used M43 lens.

-- hide signature --

I refuse to wed myself to any of these vendors. I'm just having fun taking pictures,
and watching the technology develop.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more

The Lumix 20mm is a very different lens form the Pentax Auto 110 18mm. First off, it's $400, not $30, and it is autofocus, has aperture control (the Pentax is fixed at f2.8), is over a stop faster, and will be a much "better" performer, obviously (though it suffers from considerably more distortion). Remember, the Pentax designs are mid-70s. But different lenses have different qualities, and the Pentax lenses feel right on the M43 cameras. You would not believe how small the 25mm Pentax Auto 110 is - think soda bottle cap. There re some inexpensive Pentax 110 to M43 adapters on eBay now, but they will need work to achieve infinity focus (I had to remove the mount and sand down the support to get the 25 and 18 to focus at infinity). There is also a Hawk Peng that is good the way it is - for more than 2x the price.

The 8mm CCTV lenses will give you only a circular image in the middle of the sensor - they are made for 2/3" sensors, not 1". I would not want one, but to each his own.

WT21 wrote:

Just curious, but what advantage would the Pentax 18 mm have over the Lumix 20mm 1.7, or is it the look and colors.

It's hard or even impossible to beat the 20mm with a C-Mount lens as it's not widely used in film and the CCTV lenses (even those for megapixel imaging/computer vision) are far from well corrected or as good as dedicated picture lenses.

I just ordered the 35mm being discussed, as that's a fl not covered yet by m43 lenses. I do like the legacy lens effects, but I was just curious if you think the 18 is really a different experience than the m43 20mm.

One thing I like about the C-Mount lenses is their smooth direct focus operation, another would be the stepless aperture which is quite handy especially for video.
The images/video are also more film like.

I might look at that Computar you mentioned. What about the various 8.5 mm lenses on bay, or do they vignette heavily.

The C-Mount lenses are usually optimized for different sensor sizes, like 1/2", 2/3" or 1". Depending on the focal length the vendors sometimes cannot avoid covering a larger size than they charge for. Wide Angle lenses are a problem because the projected area is usually exactly the specified size (and even then sometimes slight vignetting can be observed), longer lenses much less so.

Here's an example of an uncropped image with the Pentax 12mm f1.2 1/2" sensor:

Wider lenses at 1/2" will likely show even more vignetting, while longer lenses will show less.

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

Jamie Watts wrote:

The 8mm CCTV lenses will give you only a circular image in the middle of the sensor - they are made for 2/3" sensors, not 1". I would not want one, but to each his own.

Only the better ones (read $$) will be 2/3" or even 1", most are just 1/2".

The current Pentax lineup for 1" starts at 12.5mm and is quite expensive with a MSRP of $314.10.

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

Yes, the 1" Pentax lenses aren't cheap by MSRP, but I still think $90 at B&H for the 25mm f1.4 isn't bad (although I paid $30 for mine on eBay mint). The 12.5mm is a good lens (I have it too), but it doesn't have as large an image circle as the Computar 12.5mm.

The "uncorrected-ness" of these lenses is the point, really. In a world of very well behaved digital photography the unruliness is welcome.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads