S90 CHDK ... Frustrated and need help!

Started May 23, 2010 | Discussions
RRRick Regular Member • Posts: 209
S90 CHDK ... Frustrated and need help!

I'm trying to set up my S90 to use the CHDK - but I'm really starting to feel like an frustrated idiot. I cannot get the firmware version of the camera no matter what I try!

I've used the Cardtricks program with both a 2Gb and 4Gb card. The program runs fine and I make the card "bootable". It places the ver.req file on the card, I lock the card, start the camera in 'play' mode - but when I press the FUNC SET button all I get is the clock display! I've also renamed the file to vers.req - but the same thing happens. I have checked everywhere for the firmware procedure but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone explain what I'm missing - or point me to detailed instructions which are know to be accurate? I think I've been following the instruction on the wiki site but I have to be overlooking something???

Thanks,
Rick

Jerrich
Jerrich Senior Member • Posts: 2,692
Re: S90 CHDK ... Frustrated and need help!

Have you followed these instructions from the FAQ? Don't give up and keep reading! Good luck.

Q. How can I get the original firmware version number of my camera?

A. To get the REAL version number, you need to have a file ver.req (or vers.req) placed at the root of your SD card. Start your camera in playback mode. Press and hold Func. Set followed by the Disp. button. Advanced firmware informations should be displayed, also the real firmware version (something like GM1.XXY).

JR
-
Nikon F
Argus C44R (gorgeous)
Fuji S100fs
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Collections: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863948@N07/collections/

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon PowerShot G7 X
OP RRRick Regular Member • Posts: 209

Thanks JR - but yes, I think I'm following those instructions but I always end up with the clock in the display - no firmware info. Clearly I'm missing something but I have no idea what. I've tried both file names.

-- hide signature --

Rick

SR45 New Member • Posts: 12

RRRick wrote:

Thanks JR - but yes, I think I'm following those instructions but I always end up with the clock in the display - no firmware info. Clearly I'm missing something but I have no idea what. I've tried both file names.

-- hide signature --

Rick

Click the green arrow within a green box, upper right of the wheel next to the "S" button to turn the camera on to display those photos you may have taken, then after this is done, click on the FUNC button and DISP button at the same time. What you are missing is the pushing of both buttons at the same time.

May have to do this twice. My version number on a new S90 is 1.0.1.0

OP RRRick Regular Member • Posts: 209

Thanks SR45 - your comments 'clicked'.

It seems that you don't 'push and hold' the FUNC SET button too long - or else the clock kicks in. The trick is to hold it down then immediately push the DISP button (before the clock kicks in). So it's not really at the same time (and maybe that's why you have to attempt it more than once).

So the verbiage that would work for me is "immediately press the DISP button after pushing and holding the FUNC SET button".

Now to move forward with CHDK.

-- hide signature --

Rick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads