Are these macro enough? :=)

Started May 20, 2010 | Discussions
gil Forum Pro • Posts: 16,735
Are these macro enough? :=)

Just kidding :). Just want to say hello to my home forum before I moved to DSLR. My last FZ series was the FZ8 where I got many satisfying macro and flower shots (some BIFs too). Got the FZ35 (my 7th FZ after the FZ10, FZ20, FZ30, FZ4, FZ5 and FZ8) for my macro fun shots as I can't seem to get the same level of fun and magnification from my DSLR setup w/o incurring much cost.

Some macro test shots below. I am still trying to get familiar with the capabilities and limitations of the FZ35. I considered the other equivalent model from Sony, Canon, Nikon and Fuji but I was not too impressed with the results and I am anticipating less fun. Also my on-board flash set-up (with DIY diffuser) is still crude and needs further optimization. As usual, hand held and jpg with basic PP.

enjoy,
gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II
RKral Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: Are these macro enough? :=)

Um, WOW!!!!!!!

doctordave Veteran Member • Posts: 9,019

Great macros Gil.

doctordave's gear list:doctordave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic LX10 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
digby dart Veteran Member • Posts: 6,163
Great shots.

I went to a gruelling meeting last night and I am sure the chap in the 4th shot was there. These are great macro shots, it a whole new fascinating world down there, you capture it beautifully.
--

Alisande
Alisande Veteran Member • Posts: 3,401

I would classify these as uber-macro. Excellent job!

-- hide signature --

Susan
1 old farmhouse, 2 dogs, 5 cats, 3 computers

radamczak
radamczak Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

Great macros, with superb detail at very high magnification.
--
Richard

Only your best friends will tell you, you have BO PF

radamczak's gear list:radamczak's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 +3 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 16,851

excellent shots,gil!

i wish you well,with whatever camera/gear you choose.

do stop by,from time to time.

Take care

ANAYV

kernow Forum Pro • Posts: 12,441

Certainly close enough and very detailed, well done. Personally I get a prefer a bit less macro, but that is just my taste, I like to see more a closeup showing a bit of background.

With your DSLR you can do it, but it isn't easy. You can use your achromats just the same. The biggest problem is DOF, many use image stacking to get around this. I think the biggest downside to using your current camera for this sort of work is the flash, do a search for some of the creative home-made flash modifications for the built in flash to diffuse the light.

For tips and ideas you can have a look at the macros on my Flickr Group here.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dof_stacking/

This guy is one of the masters, but has invested a lot of time and money, however some guys do it all hand held..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/

-- hide signature --

Oll an gwella,
Jim

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 16,851

Wow!

Great shot,Jim !!!

ANAYV

kernow Forum Pro • Posts: 12,441

ANAYV wrote:

Wow!

Great shot,Jim !!!

ANAYV

That isn't my shot, I should have made it clear, BTW go to the link and look at that fly full size. It is one from that chap I mentioned. He often does image stacks of over 100 shots all raw and combined into one image. The thing is he does 20 image stacks of live moving insects!

This is his field rig.

Here's one of his macros larger size.

-- hide signature --

Oll an gwella,
Jim

Steve.UK Senior Member • Posts: 2,757

Aah gil, you old maestro, how are you sir? nice to see you back to your natural kingdom in fine fettle and in fine form as usual. Always a pleasure.

Great pics (as per).

Steve

gil wrote:

Just kidding :). Just want to say hello to my home forum before I moved to DSLR. My last FZ series was the FZ8 where I got many satisfying macro and flower shots (some BIFs too). Got the FZ35 (my 7th FZ after the FZ10, FZ20, FZ30, FZ4, FZ5 and FZ8) for my macro fun shots as I can't seem to get the same level of fun and magnification from my DSLR setup w/o incurring much cost.

enjoy,
gil

OP gil Forum Pro • Posts: 16,735
Thanks for the input. I am ashamed of my setup below...(m)

Below was my old FZ4 setup which I carried to the FZ5 and the FZ8. I am modifying my crude diffuser (hope I won't be arrested with such an ugly DIY) but the same lens setup for my new FZ35.

I have yet to do stacking but I am lazy and do hand holding in the field. Tough to be in the field as slight breeze will test my patience. I have considered somewhat elaborate setup with the Canon MPE-65 when I tested the Canon 7D late last year but I still value the fun part; thus, still with the FZ35 with similar setup as before. Maybe one of these days, I will finally grow into the DSLR thing :).

From the FZ5. Over processed from my old/basic PP before. Will try to redo this with newer PP techniques (using plug-ins, ha! I am a bit improving)

Some fun favorites from the FZ8 3 years ago which gave me some inspiration to go back to the FZ series. I will redo with newer PP later on if could be improved some more.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA

Thanks much all. (nt)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA

I am fine. Thank you sir. My current forum, SONY SLR is...(m)

currently full of bashing and whining; thus, taking some time off to have some macro fun again (spring in the U.S.; thus, flowers and insects to add to my usual birding stuff). Took the FZ35 (smaller/lighter) to my recent Shanghai and Las Vegas/Grand Canyon trip the fast two weeks and it performed well in moments where I really have just enough time to point and shoot. Hope things are ok at your end on your photographic adventures.

I seemed to remember Harlan dropped by in your area. Last time I've heard from him was more than a year ago. John Reed took some cross country adventure last year as well. The recent economic conditions forced me (I guess lots of us) to concentrate more on survival. Only now that I am venturing again to the fun part of this hobby of ours.

cheers and nice seeing you here again,
gil

Steve.UK wrote:

Aah gil, you old maestro, how are you sir? nice to see you back to your natural kingdom in fine fettle and in fine form as usual. Always a pleasure.

Great pics (as per).

Steve

gil wrote:

enjoy,
gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA

That was a great sample but stacking is not my thing and...(m)

going to that level cost money and time :). Maybe someday I will have some opportunity. Yes, I hear you on more background interaction and I pursued that as well in my DSLR with cheaper af and manual lenses. My results from jpg, hand holding and on-board flash was not that bad but to me just a bit less fun than using P&S.

Thanks for the input as I know I still along way to go for great macros like the sample you've mentioned. My only hope is that going to that direction is still fun :).

Some DSLR macro tries below, not great but still fun.

Above were from Minolta 100mm f2.8 macro. Last two shots from the legendary Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro. Still needs improvement here but the details are possible and just need further works on flash and focusing :).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads