GH1 vs Pre-Production Nex 3 5 ISO comparison

Started May 15, 2010 | Discussions
KingDon Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
GH1 vs Pre-Production Nex 3 5 ISO comparison
jaja_m Regular Member • Posts: 256
I'm waiting for Adventsam to pass his judgment again...

LOL.

NuFonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,211
Re: I'm waiting for Adventsam to pass his judgment again...

Uh...
--
What´s that noise?

From one of the Canon Forums:

'I just came back from my first holiday with the 5D II (I think my wife was there as well). '

Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983
Re: I'm waiting for Adventsam to pass his judgment again...

Well, for one thing we could at least have equivalent crops? for another we dont know the sensitivity and equivalent settings, all in all this proves nothing, however, this proves a lot. A top notch 85mm f1.4 Sony prime strapped to the NEX5, comments please?

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,715
To Adventsam, comments as requested

Adventsam wrote:

A top notch 85mm f1.4 Sony prime strapped to the NEX5, comments please?

The characteristics of this (top notch, indeed) CZ 85/1.4 when shot WIDE OPEN are well known and shown in this sample. For a thorough explanation of this lenses' characteristics please check at:
http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/374-zeiss_za_85_14

and see for the Bokeh Fringing / Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations (LoCA) test shot for various apertures on page 2. Also check how the resolution and CA are improving when the lens gets stopped down as shown in the respective charts. If they had shot this at f=4, the contrast, sharpness and microdetail would be killer, on the NEx or on any A-Mount DSLR.

To make sure you are aware of this not being a Sony - specific problem, but one design challenge common for ultrafast primes, see also:
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/502-canon_85f12ff?start=1
or

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/220-nikkor-af-85mm-f14d-review--test-report?start=1

I do hope these sources yield a sufficient amount of "comments" to ease any worries about the NEX IQ. I am unfortunately not aware of any adapters for the micro4/3 mount to access any of these lenses so i cannot "comment" how you can possibly get access to the vast variety of superb photographic potential these lenses offer. As a former Sony A350 user, you may be unaware of the number of Nikon and Canon shooters who join the A-Mount FF offerings to get access to the CZ AF lenses Sony offers.

Enjoy the supplied reading.
--
Ralf
http://RalfRalph.smugmug.com/

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Bryan Biggers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,581
Re: To Adventsam, comments as requested

Why aren't they even the same areas? I suspect that these were taken at different times, the GH1 "leaves" are all in shadow, can't tell without seeing the exposures I guess. Would not be fair if the lighting was different.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III
mdman Forum Member • Posts: 99

I think the ISO arms race has well and truly supplanted the megapixel arms race

jaja_m Regular Member • Posts: 256
High ISO race is nice, megapixel is not :)

That's why people pay great sum for D3s

mdman wrote:

I think the ISO arms race has well and truly supplanted the megapixel arms race

Adventsam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,983

Which is a good thing of course;-)

Alan Lai Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: High ISO race is nice, megapixel is not :)

you did?
good for u!

Alan Lai's gear list:Alan Lai's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +6 more
Sye68 Contributing Member • Posts: 856
Re: GH1 vs Pre-Production Nex 3 5 ISO comparison

Makes the GH-1 look like a P&S

Button Pusher
Button Pusher Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Are there full pics available? EXIF information? What lenses were these shot with? I find the ISO200 especially hard to believe with the GH1.

Button Pusher's gear list:Button Pusher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
klopus Regular Member • Posts: 309
Can GH1 be THAT bad?

I'm no m43 fan and can easily imagine bigger sensor to outresolve and have better DR and high ISO. And I can imagine Sony's top notch 85mm prime beating kit zoom at equal apertures . And it's easy to recognize devilish Panasonic trademark green tint.

But all of this not to such extent as seen on these photos even at ISO 200. Detail in the wall and the leaves, even at ISO 200, is simply missing, blurred. Was GH1 focused on infinity?

-- hide signature --
 klopus's gear list:klopus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
OP KingDon Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
Re: Can GH1 be THAT bad?

klopus wrote:

I'm no m43 fan and can easily imagine bigger sensor to outresolve and have better DR and high ISO.

And Sony makes the best sensors (from cell phones to S90, to D90, D300, to all the way to D3x).

SF Photo Gal
SF Photo Gal Senior Member • Posts: 2,228

I have a GH-1 and a Canon 1DsIII, which shoots at 21mp, and I've been very happy with the GH-1. But I'm not one to blow things up 10,000 times.

I'm not terribly surprised that the photos at 1600 and 3200 aren't that good - high ISO isn't the GH-1 strength. But I really question (suspicious of) the photos at 200 and 800. Although as a practical matter, who the F crops photos that close?

I think if the GH-1 was truly that bad, reviewers would have made that assessment by now. So is the NEX THAT good or are be being played a little bit here? Because if it IS that good, then how can Sony justify the production and price of their full size dSLR line? Sony has never been regarded as being all that.

SF Photo Gal
Canon 1Ds MkIII/Panasonic GH-1-LX-3-FZ-50

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
dingenus Senior Member • Posts: 1,995

Have you see the EXIF. All photo's Sony Nex5 iso 200 !!!!!!!!!! No GH1 exif.
I think that here is manipulated.

dingenus's gear list:dingenus's gear list
Olympus E-M1
zepzr Senior Member • Posts: 2,012

dingenus wrote:

Have you see the EXIF. All photo's Sony Nex5 iso 200 !!!!!!!!!! No GH1 exif.
I think that here is manipulated.

what's your proof all Sony photos are ISO 200? The crops are same on the other page

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/462124/sony-nex-5-iso-comparisons.html

SF Photo Gal
SF Photo Gal Senior Member • Posts: 2,228
Have to wait and see

I know this forum is loaded with people who want to see the m4/3 standard crushed and keep predicting the end of times for it. But we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

It could very well be that Sony has produced a truly break out camera. For those who shot photos in a cave then crop 10X, this could be the camera for them.

SF Photo Gal
Canon 1Ds MkIII/Panasonic GH-1-LX-3-FZ-50

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
zepzr Senior Member • Posts: 2,012
Re: Have to wait and see

SF Photo Gal wrote:

I know this forum is loaded with people who want to see the m4/3 standard crushed and keep predicting the end of times for it. But we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

that's not unique to this forum. pentax forum has people who predict pentax death. And Sony forum has far more regular posters who predict death of Sony's enthusiast DSLRs that they claim will be turned into cybershot p&s line.

G1Houston Veteran Member • Posts: 3,085

SF Photo Gal wrote:

wihighISO isn't the GH-1 strength. But I really question (suspicious of) the photos at 200 and 800. Although as a practical matter, who the F crops photos that close?

I think if the GH-1 was truly that bad, reviewers would have made that assessment by now. So is the NEX THAT good or are be being played a little bit here? Because if it IS that good, then how can Sony justify the production and price of their full size dSLR line? Sony has never been regarded as being all that.

The noise is very easy to see in the RAW files obtained by the GH1 at ISO400. I use CS4 to read these RAW files and could not believe what I saw. This has been reported by dpreview that the RAW files from these cameras are quite noisy although the JPEG is not bad. Why people do not report/notice this more often, I don't know. For me personally, I found this by accidents because I was always led to believe that the GH1 is doing well in the ISO area so I never really check. Most people here probably just shoot JPEGs with NR on so they don't see it. (some the so called fanboys may not want to see it) By contrast, RAW files from Nikon D90, which uses the previous gen of the Sony 12MP sensor do not show any noise at ISO800. I am thus not surprised that the new sensor in these NEX cameras are so much better in terms of high ISO performance. It is hard to know if NR is properly applied, whether the GH1 files will look as clean and detail as those from Nikon. However if this discussion is limited to the noise in the RAW files, those from GH1 are noisy and noise can be easily seen at ISO400. You do not need to go to shadow area to see noise. The noise will show up on people's face, which makes people's face look muddy.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads