M.Zuiko 9-18mm samples, lens size comparison

Started May 15, 2010 | Discussions
Weylyn Regular Member • Posts: 314
M.Zuiko 9-18mm samples, lens size comparison

Got the new 9-18mm on the 11th and although I haven't been able to go out and shoot properly with it because of finals, I am really enjoying the FOV it offers. This is my first wide lens on any camera. I can already tell I'll be using it extensively for trips and urbex especially, which is one of the main reasons I got it because of how limiting 14mm is on the 14-45 for me.

This thing is tiny and light! Lens construction is plastic-y but good. When the lens is extended you can feel the front end wobble a bit. It auto focuses on the GF1 every bit as fast as the 14-45, although despite Olympus playing up how quiet the focus is, it's not any quieter than the 14-45. Both are virtually silent in video. The center is very sharp at f4, and the corners start looking good at 5.6. With optics this small, that's no small accomplishment! I thought that having no I.S. in this lens with my GF1 would be a problem, but at 9mm, camera shake is usually not an issue. I've been getting sharp results at 1/20 and even 1/8 pretty regularly.

With time my 14-45's zoom action has become very bad, with a lot of friction when zooming. The 9-18 is refreshing because of how smooth the zoom ring is. It really feels good. It's kind of annoying to 'ready' the lens by extending it every time, but I assume I'll get used to that.

Overall I'm very happy with it, but still feel like it is at least $100 overpriced. And no lens hood or bag included? Nice one, Olympus.

Here are some shots of the lens, and then some taken with the lens at my college campus. Nothing special, just some samples.

kiri Senior Member • Posts: 1,651
Re: M.Zuiko 9-18mm samples, lens size comparison

Thanks for posting. I'm also considering this lens.

Have you tried using it with video? And if so, how was it? Specifically, how was the auto-focus in video mode?

reggieandtfe Regular Member • Posts: 238

Thanks a ton for your impressions. I'm really considering this lens and it's good to hear how petite the lens is. My only issue is that I can get the 40-150mm 4/3 and 9-18mm 4/3 lenses for $650n combined.

OwenA New Member • Posts: 8

But the 9-18 4/3 will still have a 2x crop factor applied as i understand it so the FOV will be 18-36, so no wider than the 14-45.

Ibeti Forum Member • Posts: 97

OwenA wrote:

But the 9-18 4/3 will still have a 2x crop factor applied as i understand it so the FOV will be 18-36, so no wider than the 14-45.

Well - the 14-45mm has the FOV equivalent of 28-90 on full frame.
So yes, it is a lot wider

is tempted

Kai Griffin Contributing Member • Posts: 811

OwenA wrote:

The 2x crop factor applies to all lenses across the board, including the 14-45 you mention, along with every other lens ever made for any format throughout history that you could possibly mount on a m4/3rds camera, be it large-format, medium format, 35mm SLR, APS, 16mm motion picture camera, or those tiny old 110 film camera lenses like the Pentax set I have. So 9-18mm is considerably wider than the 14-45mm.

Kai Griffin's gear list:Kai Griffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Fujifilm X100F +10 more
Reto Regular Member • Posts: 469
Got mine today...

I'm also very happy with the lens, its size and specially its weight. The corners are a little soft and red-fringy but otherwise I think the lens is comparable to the Tokina 12-24mm I had on my Canon. And that was more than double the size and triple the weight. The missing lens hood is IMHO the only real nuisance of the 9-18mm.

-- hide signature --

Reto

Reto's gear list:Reto's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +11 more
Tony Reynolds Senior Member • Posts: 1,236
Re: Got mine today...

I would rather have to purchase a lens hood separately than have one that cannot be removed, a la the Lumix 7-14mm UWA, where there's no option of leaving it home.

Tony

James M Hilliard Regular Member • Posts: 472
Me too, arrived today

I also got the hood on Ebay. I cannot believe how small the lens is!
--
Mark Hilliard

http://www.TheLensWorkGallery.com
http://www.InfraredAtelier.com

OP Weylyn Regular Member • Posts: 314
Re: Got mine today...

Tony Reynolds wrote:

I would rather have to purchase a lens hood separately than have one that cannot be removed, a la the Lumix 7-14mm UWA, where there's no option of leaving it home.

I'm also all for detachable lens hoods, like on the m.zuiko 9-18mm. However still, Olympus could've easily provided one with the lens for the price paid. Heck, even on my old E-510, both kit lenses included their own respective lens hoods.

minh0204 Regular Member • Posts: 281
Disagree

The old 4/3 ZD 9-18mm was sold with a lens hood and lens pouch for cheaper than this little-overpriced m4/3 counterpart. That's where it pisses many people off.

Completely disagree on the nondetachable lens hood.The lens hood in the wider lens, such as fisheye lenses or Panasonic or Olympus 7-14, etc. are designed to give the most protection during usage. It's stupid to detach the lens hood from those lenses, for the front element is so exposed and any slight miss handling (puting camera lens front down - believe it or not a lot of ppl do that) will ruin the lens. You will be glad how this simple fixture saves you thousand of dollars and give peace to your mind

reggieandtfe Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: Disagree

minh0204 wrote:

The old 4/3 ZD 9-18mm was sold with a lens hood and lens pouch for cheaper than this little-overpriced m4/3 counterpart. That's where it pisses many people off.

Completely disagree on the nondetachable lens hood.The lens hood in the wider lens, such as fisheye lenses or Panasonic or Olympus 7-14, etc. are designed to give the most protection during usage. It's stupid to detach the lens hood from those lenses, for the front element is so exposed and any slight miss handling (puting camera lens front down - believe it or not a lot of ppl do that) will ruin the lens. You will be glad how this simple fixture saves you thousand of dollars and give peace to your mind

I think people are forgetting that part of the price premium is coming from the size. This thing is absolutely tiny and I'd gladly pay more for a high quality UWA that I can slap on the camera and throw in my "man bag" that I carry with me all day. In the same way that laptops of equivalent specs to PCs will carry a large price differential as shrinking something down adds cost. I'm glad that Olympus is doing something different with their lenses and not just copying the same characteristics of the great Panasonic lenses; it gives us more to choose from.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads