Started May 11, 2010 | Discussions
ZJLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Nex 5 is tiny

No, I don't have giant hands - the camera is small

ZJLM's gear list:ZJLM's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Charles Nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: Nex 5 is tiny

Good to know. NEX5 with lens does seem to look big in the pics. I just ordered mine through Sony style

redsim74 Senior Member • Posts: 2,209

I have to say I was surprised to see that the NEX-5 is smaller than the NEX-3. The early leaked images didn't really show the comparative size at all.

I'd certainly be tempted by one of these, though the user interface appears to be a bit of an issue.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,978

Yes, that is small.

How does it feel in the hand and in use when you have the 18-55mm and 18-200mm mounted on it?

Does the 16mm have image stabilization?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

mediman30
mediman30 Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

Just want I want for a pocket size camera. A700 + NEX 5 = I'm happy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gfQ8nxTBs

-- hide signature --

JP (Somerset, UK)
'Be a reason for someone else's happiness...Life is beautiful!'

mediman30's gear list:mediman30's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R Sony a6400 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
VKM3 Regular Member • Posts: 255

Thanks for the link! It really helps to see the camera being used to get a proper understanding of its size. While in photos the lenses seem huge, in reality the whole system is just tiny! Looks fantastic.

willbfree Forum Member • Posts: 71

I notice the NEX5's grip also protrudes from the bottom of the camera. (Unlike the NEX3, which has a flat bottom.) Did you find that was a noticeable help in holding the camera?

willbfree's gear list:willbfree's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,121

Hi,

I was thinking how to hold this camera with the 70-400....

Some new acessory grip needed. Perhaps the NEX is not the right tool for me...
--
Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

OP ZJLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,161

Henry Richardson wrote:

Yes, that is small.

How does it feel in the hand and in use when you have the 18-55mm and 18-200mm mounted on it?

Does the 16mm have image stabilization?

It felt great with the pancake. The 18-55 was okay but looks quite big on it. It helps that the lens is quite light. They didn't have the 18-200 there.

The 16mm doesn't have stabilization.

Olympus OM-D E-M5

Yup - the NEX 5 with the pancake attached seems to be a great combo for portability

Olympus OM-D E-M5

willbfree wrote:

I notice the NEX5's grip also protrudes from the bottom of the camera. (Unlike the NEX3, which has a flat bottom.) Did you find that was a noticeable help in holding the camera?

I didn't actually think about that when holding it but it was quite comfortable to hold. The grip is quite good and I had two fingers under the camera.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
KEITH-C Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131

If anyone wants a wide angle quality compact then perhaps they should consider the Olympus EP-2 or E-PL1 with the new 9-18mm or the kit 14-42mm. Both cameras have image stabilisation & can take a fit-on EVF which is excellent & the E-PL1 has a built-in flash which is capable of wireless controlling 3 external flashes.
--
Keith-C

The Panasonic and Olympus models seem very tempting - I've tested the Olympus E-PL1, which was very nice but it doesn't really know, which way it wants to go - beginners or advanced users.

The Sonys are clearly aimed at beginners and I actually think they will do quite well in that market segment.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Klipsen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,166
... but its lenses are huge

I'm unlikely to ever own or use one, so I won't make any judgements, but it does seem odd to make an almost microscopic "pocket sized" camera ... and equip it with lenses twice as big. Not the 16 mm, of course, but the two zooms dwarf the camera body.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +15 more
Re: ... but its lenses are huge

Klipsen wrote:

I'm unlikely to ever own or use one, so I won't make any judgements, but it does seem odd to make an almost microscopic "pocket sized" camera ... and equip it with lenses twice as big. Not the 16 mm, of course, but the two zooms dwarf the camera body.

No doubt that the m4/3 format is better suited for the mirrorless format due to the smaller lenses.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
The Squire
The Squire Regular Member • Posts: 453

A nice big bit of glass to hold on to, then all I need is somewhere for a few buttons and a high res screen. It doesn't really matter how small the body is so long as the whole thing is functional. Look at the whole package.

The Squire's gear list:The Squire's gear list
Panasonic LX100
The Squire
The Squire Regular Member • Posts: 453

Thinking about it, I guess that's why Sony has over-invested in nice metal lens - It's the most tactile part of the system now.

The Squire's gear list:The Squire's gear list
Panasonic LX100
Phil Askey
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,822

And the lenses aren't.

ZJLM wrote:

No, I don't have giant hands - the camera is small

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Editor, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica M10 +11 more
Phil Askey
Phil Askey Veteran Member • Posts: 9,822

I guess my point here, which I made clear to Sony when we first saw prototypes of the camera almost a year ago is that while it's a tour-de-force demonstration of how small Sony can make cameras from a practicality and ergonomic point of view it simply feels too small, especially when you consider the size of the lenses. A perfect example of this is the oddly scalloped base of the NEX-5 with its square-inch tripod mount. If the cameras were a little larger in all dimensions then a couple more buttons could have made their way onto the rear of the camera which would have assisted usability considerably (menus not withstanding).

-- hide signature --

Phil Askey
Editor, dpreview.com

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica M10 +11 more
john175bramley Regular Member • Posts: 295

I'm getting the feeling the NEX review will be less than glowing......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads