New lens for XTi

Started May 10, 2010 | Discussions
doades New Member • Posts: 1
New lens for XTi

The only lens I have currently is the 18-55 IS from Canon. I want to get a telephoto lens and have pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Canon 70-200 f/4 non-IS or the Tamron 18-270mm, ~$600 is my range. I want to take some sports/action photos and some portrait photos with the lens I will be getting. Anyone have any recommendation between the two?

alien3333 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,476
Canon 70-200 f/4 non-IS

doades wrote:

The only lens I have currently is the 18-55 IS from Canon. I want to get a telephoto lens and have pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Canon 70-200 f/4 non-IS or the Tamron 18-270mm, ~$600 is my range. I want to take some sports/action photos and some portrait photos with the lens I will be getting. Anyone have any recommendation between the two?

TruePoindexter
TruePoindexter Forum Member • Posts: 73
Consider the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM

doades wrote:

Since you're considering the Tamron 18-270 speed must not be a concern. I'd suggest taking a good look at the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM. I love mine on an XTi and the extra reach is killer.

That said if I had to only choose between the two you listed I'd probably get the Canon EF 70-200mm. The Tamron super zoom makes too many compromises in image quality to achieve that massive zoom range. If you're not picking it because of the versatility (its only real high point) you'd be better off with the more conservative lens.

TruePoindexter
TruePoindexter Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Consider the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM

Some example pictures:

Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM @ 300mm f5.6 1/1600

Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM @ 80mm f7.1 1/320

Legion5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Re: We'd be looking at a stupid-high number...

doades wrote:

The 70-200mm F/4 non-IS has 383% the resolution of the Tamron 18-270mm.

That's what you call a stupid high number. Basically if you put a 2x teleconverter on the 70-200mm it will look about the same.

There really couldn't be a clearer choice.

Legion5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Re: We'd be looking at a stupid-high number...

Personally I'd also recommend the 70-300mm Canon IS too. While the 70-200mm non IS f4 will look better than the 70-300mm IS in every measurable situation, including looking sharper cropped at 200mm vs 300mm, the 70-300mm has image stabilization which at this focal length is going to be very significant. Your camera doesn't have much resolution so the flaws of the 70-300mm will be well matched to it. If you can afford it the 70-200mm F4 IS would be ideal or if you're 100% sure you don't need IS then the 70-200mm F4 non is will deliver the clearest pictures.

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,341
Re: New lens for XTi

doades wrote:

It's hard to imagine two more different lenses. Do you want an optically superb, very well-built lens with state-of-the-art USM/FTM focusing? Or a consumer superzoom with a lot more zoom range but all the optical compromises that entails?

Either one would be a valid choice - just decide where your priorities lie and the correct one will leap off the page.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads