Japanese Food

Started May 9, 2010 | Discussions
sam photo Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: In defense once again

...LOL...is this your Mea Culpa Pix?...

...if so, which story is true?...you're semi-retired...you make six figures as a commercial photographer...

...just trying to finally get to the truth...

Hawaiian Punch Senior Member • Posts: 1,004
I'm at a loss here

So your assumption is that all posters from Hawaii are my buddy Mike, aka BigPixel? We might be a small state but I can assure you that there are more than a few Hawaiian posters here.

I honestly wish you well, appreciate your concerns; but I'd like to ask you to think things through before you make accusations. I don't speak for BigPixel, I'm speaking about BP, a guy I know. I think he got a raw deal here the last few days.

Nico de Bruin Forum Member • Posts: 86
Re: I'm at a loss here

So let me just clarify that Raw deal Bigpixel apparantly got :

Someone posted some photos, great photos according to most on this thread. Bigpixel shot down OP's technique, and posted an example of his own. unfotunately a photo that was not an example of his best work. When this photo was criticized, ( as to be expected on this site), instead of taking comments and critique gracefully, he started abusing, insulting and degrading others.

His excuse? "I am a professional, and my photos are beyond reproach". Dont you dare tell me my photos are not as good as I think I am. Just because I am a professional, it gives me the right to call people names, swear etc.

I think he got what he deserved, and exactly what he asked for.

Thank you moderators. Hats off to you.

And BTW, Whats up with Hawaiian Professionals

And just for the sake of it, Hawaiian Punch, I read a few of your old posts. Clearly Professionals from Hawaii are in a different class to normal human beings.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=34887236

or for the ones who cant follow links:

"Man! I thought this was a 'Pro' forum! Professionals don't tip sub-contractors. They build their profit margin off overhead expense that includes subs. If the guy bid low, so what? That was his choice as a businessman.

So many of you part time amateurs come here, supposedly to learn from actual professional photographers, and then ignor solid business advice.

Earth to Newbies!!! If you got a fair quote from a subcontractor whose work you are comfortable with, take it. No need to tip him, give him flowers, kiss-up. Its a done deal. You just made more money."

Do yourself a favour / disfavour, and read on from there.

Your credibility has just been shattered hawaiian punch. You clearly have the same attitude towards us amateurs and newbies.

As I said before. Please please save me from being a professional, if this is what I will become.

WIMorrison Senior Member • Posts: 1,844
Re: And BTW, Whats up with Hawaiian Professionals

I wonder if Hawaiian Punch is actually BigPixel and this nom de plume is used when he has gone to far with the other login? I notice that he/she has come to the defence of BigPixel a few times, and has a very similar, if slightly less aggressive tone to many of his/her posts.

He/She also displays the similar 'I'm a pro, so listen to me' attitude - or maybe it is the Hawaiian climate that makes them develop such a similar attitude?

I am sure that not all Hawaiians are like this - at least I hope not

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +13 more
Re: And BTW, Whats up with Hawaiian Professionals

Bingo WMorrison, my thoughts, exactly

Harrythephot Contributing Member • Posts: 661
No, I am saying

That the OP'S images are great and BP tried to slate them, showing a lesser example.

He got criticised for the terrible attitude he displayed in refusing to accept that (tactfully) no-one else thought his image was as good as the ones he so readily criticised.

So in his eyes we were all talentless amateurs who wouldn't know a good image if it .........etc etc

I frequently agree with BP, but on this one. Nope.

There have been a few cases recently, where a poster gets too gobby and slags off "amateurs", and is then caught out producing sub-standard work, so it usually seems that the bigger the mouth, the less there is to show.

I am not saying that BP has nothing to show, but if he really is a pro, then he must maintain his shop front better if only to silence the critics.

Re: In defense of BigPixel

...Pixel-Punch...now you're starting to reference yourself in the third person?!!...I really didn't think it was possible for you embarrass yourself more than you already have but here you come shining through once again...

...for the record, I'm not sure what english courses you've taken but the rest of the developed world recognizes a difference between writing style and content...nobody cares about your writing style, it's your content that is offensive...especially in light of your fabricated status...

...no need to reply, your imagery speaks for itself...

Those are my statements

And I am proud to have made them. Professional photography is a business like any other, you need to make a profit or you're not in business.

My mistake was probably defending BP in the "Lighting" section, clearly not advertised as a professional forum. I apologize for that, but I honestly thought that anyone with concerns regarding lighting technique were probably pros or amateurs intent on becoming such. Lighting is such a technical area and far above casual point and shoot available light photography.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with talk that would easily pass on a professional forum.

Re: In defense of BigPixel

What's amazing to me is that I have not posted any imagery here and have chosen not to list my web site here, just like you. If you're replying to BigPixel that's fine, just do so directly, no skin off my nose. I'm sorry I offered a defense for BP already.

Re: Those are my statements

Hawaiian Punch wrote:

And I am proud to have made them. Professional photography is a business like any other, you need to make a profit or you're not in business.

It seems the only difference is, that to be a professional Photographer, you have to be arrogant and rude. No thanks.

My mistake was probably defending BP in the "Lighting" section, clearly not advertised as a professional forum. I apologize for that, but I honestly thought that anyone with concerns regarding lighting technique were probably pros or amateurs intent on becoming such. Lighting is such a technical area and far above casual point and shoot available light photography.

Then why oh why would you stoop so far below your apparant top level to comment on this Amateur Topic. It is obviously way below you, and you don't have an ounce of respect for any of us amateurs here. So please stick to your professional forum, your ignorance, arrogance and condescending attitude is not welcome here.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with talk that would easily pass on a professional forum.

So please head back over there to where everybody knows everything, and leave us amateurs to try and learn the stuff you have obviously already forgotten, including manners.

Re: Those are my statements

...Pixel...man up already and stop this charade...you don't even know which one of your personas stated what...

...stop trying to posit this as a pro vs amateur thing when this is nothing of the sort (you embarrass all pros with that stance)...there would have been no problem with your critique had you pointed out weaknesses for the benefit of the op and then given a worthy example to emulate...

...the fact of the matter is that all pros receive critique on a DAILY basis from their respective creative partners and clients...for you to try and claim that your image has no weaknesses is again, absurd...it clearly represents you as a weak minded individual who has no place in a field where the subjective nature of the work weeds out the lesser talent...

Okay. I'll say it.

The "amateurs" photo's were better than the "pro's" photo.

There are many amateurs who are so incredibly talented, they put a lot of pro's to shame, so tarring people with that sort of brush is arrogant and pointless.

Any time I hear a "pro" slagging off amateurs, I know we are dealing with someone who's ego is bigger than their talent.

lusia New Member • Posts: 21
Re: 35 pics?

good job !

these food make me hungry

Re: Okay. I'll say it.

Harry,

Would it blow your mind if I said I agree with you? I do actually but the point is that professionals are actively involved with selling this type of work day in, day out. Professionals conduct themselves in a way that generates business and income. That means marketing, establishing a reputation and client base based on work performed . There is no magical dreamland for a professional to wander around in like some of you would like to believe.

It doesn't matter if you, as a non-professional, like or dislike the work of the pro in this thread. What you should have garnered from his posting is that he has made an income from his work and has taken the time to tell you how and why.

So, dream on if you like! True professionalism lies in understanding a market and competing successfully in it. All the rest is just, well; supposition.

Re: Okay. I'll say it.

Who said I am a "non-professional"? Just not in food photography.

Big Pixels first post in this thread was;

I'm sorry but whatever you read or understand about food lighting is wrong. Most of these with back lighting look dead frontally, have ackward shadows thrust forward.

We were then shown an example of how it should be done, which few liked as much as the OP's, which caused BP to throw a tantrum.

FYI. His images may be saleable and tick all of the right boxes, but because he was so abrasive and displayed a fairly obnoxious attitude, I have no problems in saying again that I prefer the OP's and that they are indeed perfectly saleable in their own right.

Being a pro just means that it provides your income.

It does not mean to say that you are always right, nor that an "amateurs" work is not allowed be better, or that you somehow have more talent.

It certainly doesn't give someone the right to be so critical of everyone else, but it does seem to be the default setting here for a few who call themselves "Pro's"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads