Bottom Line - Is the HS-10 a good camera?

Started May 4, 2010 | Discussions
Red Rubi 08 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Bottom Line - Is the HS-10 a good camera?

Hello - for those of you who own the HS-10 I wanted to get your opinion. Now that you have bought it, and used it - are you glad you got it, love it, hate it, wished you bought a difference advanced point and shoot, wished you had bought DLSR, etc?

I know there is a ton of stuff already posted on this camera - but simplify it for me and tell me your thoughts if you were in my position. I want a camera that takes good pictures, is fast, and takes good quality video, and has a good optical zoom. The Fuji has all of this if you read the specs - but I want to know if you really think it performs as good as it looks on paper? Is there another Advanced Point and Shoot that has a zoom over 24X that you would recommend over this camera?

I am debating between buying this Fuji HS-10 or the Canon T2i (550D SLR). I know they are two different camera's - but I like the price and simplicity of the Fuji compared to the Canon SLR.

I keep thinking if I choose to go the route of the Point and Shoot - that the Fuji HS-10 is the way to go. Am I making a mistake if I choose to buy this camera?

Thanks for your help!

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Bottom Line - Is the HS-10 a good camera?

The answer to all your questions is available in threads currently running. Suffice to say the real answer will only come from your eyes. Check out the many hundreds if not thousands of images posted here and make the call.
Good luck, Ted

Red Rubi 08 wrote:

Hello - for those of you who own the HS-10 I wanted to get your opinion. Now that you have bought it, and used it - are you glad you got it, love it, hate it, wished you bought a difference advanced point and shoot, wished you had bought DLSR, etc?

I know there is a ton of stuff already posted on this camera - but simplify it for me and tell me your thoughts if you were in my position. I want a camera that takes good pictures, is fast, and takes good quality video, and has a good optical zoom. The Fuji has all of this if you read the specs - but I want to know if you really think it performs as good as it looks on paper? Is there another Advanced Point and Shoot that has a zoom over 24X that you would recommend over this camera?

I am debating between buying this Fuji HS-10 or the Canon T2i (550D SLR). I know they are two different camera's - but I like the price and simplicity of the Fuji compared to the Canon SLR.

I keep thinking if I choose to go the route of the Point and Shoot - that the Fuji HS-10 is the way to go. Am I making a mistake if I choose to buy this camera?

Thanks for your help!

guybie Contributing Member • Posts: 855

IMHO, i think one thing is simple, if you need a P&S 30 X zoom, with tiltable LCD and good high ISO quality, the HS10 is the only one!

Guy.

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 915

For me it has been a very good camera, but it does have its quirks. Slow processing in RAW, but hopefully a firmware update will help with that. The quality of the lens is outstanding.

The HS10 is a low end or entry level dslr. You can try it and if it isn't to your liking, then return it.

Here are my Sunday pictures from a visit to the zoo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40273503@N03/sets/72157623987102690/

Good luck!

JimmyDee Regular Member • Posts: 317

Red Rubi 08 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

You need both - in fact, you need three cameras to be a serious photographer:

A compact P&S for convenience (take anywhere), DSLR for quality (for sharp, high IQ, low light, indoors) and a megazoom for fun (nature, birding etc.) Can't replace one with the other.

Fuji HS10 is cream of the current megazoom crop, and you can't go wrong with Canon T2i. Find a good P&S (Canon, Sony or Panasonic) and you are all set.

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410

The HS10 isnt any type of DSLR, I'm sure you meant that in your opinion it is similar to, or something like that. Obviously it is not a low end DSLR or any other end DSLR.
Ted

Bodhi-U wrote:

The HS10 is a low end or entry level dslr. You can try it and if it isn't to your liking, then return it.

ukmark62 Regular Member • Posts: 160

"I want a camera that takes good pictures, is fast, and takes good quality video, and has a good optical zoom."

Good pictures? - Yes - sometimes amazing esp. with macro shots of flowers or bird shots etc. As long as you're not 'pixel-peeping', the quality is perfectly good up to A4 size prints or for viewing on a HDTV or PC monitor. I'm not too concerned with IQ as long as the images look good on my Plasma TV or up to A4 size on paper, and so far it has passed these 2 tests easily.

Fast? - Fast enough for me as I shoot only in JPEG. Apparently quite slow if you shoot in RAW.

Good video? - As long as you don't zoom during video capture then it's fine. The manual zoom is 'jerky' to use during video and the microphones pick up the noise made when zooming. However, I rarely zoom during video - instead I'll stop shooting, then zoom to where I want to go next and start shooting again. Finally join up the video on the PC and put a transition in between these clips and in my eyes the results are better than zooming in/out during video (makes me dizzy!). Some folks can use the zoom during video quite well, but it's definitely not as smooth as a motorized zoom. The video is not 'great', but it's definitely good.

Good optical zoom? - Fantastic zoom. I have achieved very sharp pics at 30x using the EVF.

"Is there another Advanced Point and Shoot that has a zoom over 24X that you would recommend over this camera?"

I have tried a Nikon P100 (26x zoom) but I found the HS-10 to be significantly better than the Nikon. To me, the images are more pleasing and I love Fuji colours. The HS-10 is a fun camera to use and some people on here (esp. 'Lloydy' and 'Bodhi-U' have taken some amazing pics with it.

DaLiV Forum Member • Posts: 88

i've trying to decide between 3 models
Fuji HS-10

• price 500$

• slow card write (no unlimited contuous burst mode)

• average 1080 video (but may to say that is ok for 720p)

Canon T2i (550D SLR) EF-S 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS KIT

• price (regional) 1400$

• overheat issue

• limited shutter resource

• will be forever married with canon (optics).

Panasonic GH1

• price (regional) 1600$

• optics 14-140

So, while i'm lean to HS10 (price per that quality is more adequate for most 9x15cm and some A4 prints)

at second place i'm position GH1, but cost on micro 4/3 whle is not adequate, too small is competitors offer.

550d - good enough, while price drop for canon models per year is approximatelly 500$, so 1 years later that will be ok, but in that time will be new models, that changes market positioning and for left after purchasing hs10 1k$ i'm think we can see many acceptable solutions

DaLiV's gear list:DaLiV's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
kdletkeman Regular Member • Posts: 151

Bodhi-U wrote:

The HS10 is a low end or entry level dslr.

Seriously ... that's a remarkably misleading statement. As Ted pointed out, it is not in any way shape or form a digital single lens reflex camera. Completely different design.

And before you respond that you really meant that it can compete with one, no it cannot. They serve different audiences. The only thing they have in common is that you take pictures with them. How they feel in the hand, the responsiveness for AF and shot to shot times is leagues apart. So is noise, clarity and detail retention at high ISO.

And that's not to say that the HS10 is not a great cam. It is ... wonderful fun.

-- hide signature --

kimletkeman.blogspot.com

DaLiV wrote:

i've trying to decide between 3 models
Fuji HS-10

• price 500$

• slow card write (no unlimited contuous burst mode)

• average 1080 video (but may to say that is ok for 720p)

Canon T2i (550D SLR) EF-S 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS KIT

• price (regional) 1400$

• overheat issue

• limited shutter resource

• will be forever married with canon (optics).

Panasonic GH1

• price (regional) 1600$

• optics 14-140

People seem to overlook the used market at Adorama (and no, I don't know if you are US or not) ...

Nikon D5000 with 18-55VR Nikon refurb

• price $519.95

• very clean 12mp CMOS sensor

• HD 720p video (smaller files, more than enough for YouTube LOL)

• Fast

• Add 70-300VR (105-450mm equiv) for about $450

It doesn't always cost an arm and a leg to get something better.

But for the money, the HS10 is a lot of camera and is extremely convenient.
--
kimletkeman.blogspot.com

no,
1. i'm not look for used equipment
2. not in US
3. only cams with warranty and local, not buying from ebay or overseas ...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1

DaLiV wrote:

no,
1. i'm not look for used equipment
2. not in US
3. only cams with warranty and local, not buying from ebay or overseas ...

Bummer ... you are therefore going to have to make a decision based on features or price, depending on which matters more to you.

-- hide signature --

kimletkeman.blogspot.com

Bummer - possible : i'm not ready to buy something for 1k$ without warranties and pay for optics problems that is made inaccurate postage peoples or after 1 month for shutter fault repairing ...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
VRiabov Regular Member • Posts: 145

In my opinion, NO CONTEST - DSLR wins hands down. I'm returning HS10 - I can't get results matching even four years old F30 at wide angle. Full zoom is OK.

Extremely strange behavior for the NR even with upgraded firmware - anything with diagonal pattern gets MUSHY. Check the image below. EXTREME!

VRiabov's gear list:VRiabov's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30
Velvet Ant Senior Member • Posts: 1,909
Red Rubi....

Based on the comments of Greg, a professional photographer who posts at the FTF, this camera is only for those who are serious about photography. Links containing his work include the following and may assist with your decision:

http://gregdickins.photosydney.com.au/index.php?x=about
http://photosydney.com.au/gregps/index.php?showimage=45
http://photosydney.com.au/gregps/index.php?showimage=41

On the other hand, if you want an opinion from a hobby photographer like me, I would say that I feel the HS10 is an excellent camera with quirks. The write-time is very slow; some have experienced poor battery use. I feel the NR is very strong and may create blur issues amid some shooting circumstances, particularly where the wide/long reaches are at their maximums. The cable-to-computer hook-up could have been better-made; one person here was hooking up the cable and the little hook-up box detached from the camera. Due to the poorer construction in this area, I'm using a card reader for uploading.

The firmware update appears to have rectified many former issues.

I would purchase the camera again and again and again, but I'm leery at this time to recommend it to other photographers but I can say that the HS10 fits my shooting needs well.

Good luck!!

DaLiV wrote:

Bummer - possible : i'm not ready to buy something for 1k$ without warranties and pay for optics problems that is made inaccurate postage peoples or after 1 month for shutter fault repairing ...

Wow ... if I could actually parse what you wrote there I expect that it would be unpleasant LOL

-- hide signature --

kimletkeman.blogspot.com

Roger France New Member • Posts: 1

Greetings from France. I have had my HS 10 for a little over two weeks. I strongly recommend that you download the manual and read it at least twice before you touch the camera. I have gone through a couple of sets of batteries just learning how to drive the machine!

A couple of hundred photos so far and no disappointments- that were not my fault. Exceptional close up quality and you would not believe what filled my screen when I caught, at full zoom, the neighbour’s cat walking away from me at 50 metres!

If you are the type that wants to debate whether or not the 4302rd. pixel down from the left hand corner is more square than its counterpart or if it has sky blue pink ( with yellow spots on ) fringing then look elsewhere but if you want a really good all-rounder that will cover by far the most none professional needs, and offer some stimulating challenges- then go for the HS10.

Last tip- talk to your local camera shop re prices. Mine gave me a package that significantly undercut the best Internet deal and it came with a handshake and a smile.
Good luck, Roger

Velvet Ant Senior Member • Posts: 1,909

Adorama is one of my favorite sources for gear. If I'm remembering correctly, that's where I purchased my s100fs - the first one.
--
Jada
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49807453@N02/
http://s630.photobucket.com/home/The_Eastwitch_Gallery

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,452

Red Rubi 08 wrote:

I have the HS10 and all of the above emotions I feel with this camera. I love it, I hate it, I wish I bought a DSLR. There are many things going against this camera including write times but many things going for it like the bazooka Fuji call a lens. It is a fun camera.

I know there is a ton of stuff already posted on this camera - but simplify it for me and tell me your thoughts if you were in my position. I want a camera that takes good pictures, is fast, and takes good quality video, and has a good optical zoom.

The HS10 does all this. How fussy are you though. It comes down to IQ. If you are going to pixel peep then DON'T buy this camera. Just snapping at the long end will be problematic as well, need time and to take a number of shots to guard against blurry images.

If you want DSLR IQ buy a DSLR

Only if you want DSLR like IQ.

I labour the point about IQ, this will be the most disappointing aspect of this camera if you are fussy otherwise you will love the camera and learn to live with and/or workaround its faults/quirks.

Danielepaolo
MOD Danielepaolo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,452
Re: Red Rubi....

Your a shocker Jada! Made me giggle though.

ps: in a nice way of course.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads