Repair centre in San Francisco

Started Apr 29, 2010 | Discussions
Nikko aus London Senior Member • Posts: 1,138
Repair centre in San Francisco

Hi folks

I've relocated from London to San Francisco for the next couple of years and have brought my UK-purchased D2Xs and assorted lenses with me. The camera now has trouble with its AF on the outside sensors and I'd like to get this fixed.

I believe that Nikon USA insists on fixing cameras centrally and, furthermore, they don't touch product sourced outside the US. Is there a business in the Bay Area (equivalent to Fixation in London) that has in-house experts who can fix Nikon product?

All thoughts and local knowledge will be gratefully received.

Best regards

N

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Steve House Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: Repair centre in San Francisco

And if you can discover something on your on, do let us know. This is one of my pet peeves. I can sort of understand their position on warranty service but if you're willing to pay for the service, IMHO a Nikon purchased from anyone anywhere in the world that needs service should be able to be serviced by Nikon anyplace else in the world.

torags Senior Member • Posts: 1,574

There is a Nikon certified shop in Sacramento (don't remember the name); that is not Nikon USA.

They will fix offshore product.

-- hide signature --

Rags

macfred Regular Member • Posts: 426

Nikko, I would contact Keeble and Suchat Photography http://www.kspphoto.com/repair_department.html in Palo Alto near Stanford University. They are an authorized Nikon dealer, with an in-store repair department. It is a fun store to visit to checkout all the pro equipment.
--
WSSA #318

OP Nikko aus London Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Thanks the all the ideas, folks. I will head down to Palo Alto and see whether they can help me down there.

Best regards to all

N

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
mfbernstein Veteran Member • Posts: 6,518

Nikko aus London wrote:

Thanks the all the ideas, folks. I will head down to Palo Alto and see whether they can help me down there.

Best call them first. I've not had my gear repaired there, but my impression was that they send out non-trivial repairs, so you may end up in the same situation w.r.t NikonUSA.

It is a fun place to browse though...

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

Oscar Rico
Oscar Rico Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

This may help, good luck. Regards: Oscar
http://www.nikonlinks.com/resources_repair.html

Brent Allen Thale Regular Member • Posts: 486

If you're closer to Marin, I believe Seawood Photo also has a repair shop ( http://www.seawood.com/repair/ ). I haven't tried them but they were recommended to me by someone who has.

Brent Allen Thale's gear list:Brent Allen Thale's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Bill Fagan Senior Member • Posts: 1,981

If you have a reciept of purchase from the UK, the international warranty WILL be honored by Nikon USA. The west coast factory service center is in El Segundo, CA, and I have had very good experiences with them. Call first and you may get "special" attention. My experience has been that pro level equipment gets different treatment from run of the mill consumer kit.

West of the Mississippi River:
Nikon Inc. Photo & Digital Service
Nikon Inc. Factory Service
841 Apollo Street, Suite 100
El Segundo, CA 90245-4721
310) 414-8107

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads