Black/White + one colour.

Started Apr 29, 2010 | Discussions
Ace-dk New Member • Posts: 11
Black/White + one colour.

Bear with me – I’m e newbie to this world of photography.

I bought a Canon EOS 550D 5 days ago and loving it already. I read the manual, and are playing around with it and having a lot of fun. But when I look at some of the pictures in here, I see some really nice pictures of black/white pictures with one additional colour. Is this possible to do on the camera, or do I have to have additional software to do this kind of thing?

I know have to take normally black/white pictures, but note have to add one more colour.

Thanks.

Drewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
Re: Black/White + one colour.

Welcome to the forum Ace

I don't know of any camera that will take Spot Colour photgraphs - I don't think even the new 550D will do that.

It's best to take a colour picture and then convert it to black and white as this gives you a better range of black to white tones. As for 'adding' colour (or leaving certain colour subjects in when you turn the rest B&W) this needs to be done in post processing (PP) and there are many software packages that will do this. Most are free to trial as downloads off the internet.

Below are 3 pictures showing what I think you are talking about.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

'The whole idea of learning Photography is to reduce the number of Monkeys it takes.'

MrWisker Regular Member • Posts: 337

The camera itself will not do this for you. You will need to purchase some type of photo editing software to do this. I currently use Aperture 3 to do tasks such as this.

The process usually involves taking a color photo. Converting it to B&W and then using an eraser tool erase the B&W conversion out to give back color to selective parts of the photo.

Hope this helps a bit.

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,360

Drewbie wrote:

Welcome to the forum Ace

I don't know of any camera that will take Spot Colour photgraphs - I don't think even the new 550D will do that.

My Canon G11 has that feature in its scene modes, but no Canon dSLR does.
--
Olga

OP Ace-dk New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks for the answer. Yes it’s exactly this I’m looking for. I shall try to find a software packages witch helps me do this. What is the correct tem I’m looking for when I look for software – is it ” Spot Colour photographs”?

One more question – do I need to take the photo in RAW or is it ok for at JPEG file?

Liz_A New Member • Posts: 16

The feature is called Color Accent. Two of my P&S Canon SDXXX cameras include this feature. It's a neat for doing something different. I've only used it for stills but its suppose to do it in movies too. I know my 500d doesn't include the built in feature by anything's possible with photo editing s/w with overlays using either PS or GIMP.

Dream Surfr Forum Member • Posts: 74

Yes you can do it in camera. You don't need to use special software other than the one provided by Canon. The software is called Picture Style Editor. It allows you to shift/remap colours and upload your colour profile to your camera.

If you shoot jpg straight out of the camera, you need to upload your custom made picture style and select it before you take pictures. If you shoot RAW, you can do it in post processing by selecting the picture style in your DPP.

The Picture Style Style Editor is quite obscure to understand but is quite powerful if you know it.

See this picture I did with my own custom picture style:

Ace-dk wrote:

Bear with me – I’m e newbie to this world of photography.

I bought a Canon EOS 550D 5 days ago and loving it already. I read the manual, and are playing around with it and having a lot of fun. But when I look at some of the pictures in here, I see some really nice pictures of black/white pictures with one additional colour. Is this possible to do on the camera, or do I have to have additional software to do this kind of thing?

I know have to take normally black/white pictures, but note have to add one more colour.

Thanks.

Tom
Tom Senior Member • Posts: 2,740

Thanks! Learn something new every day... that looks easier than Photoshop Elements!

-- hide signature --
 Tom's gear list:Tom's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D
Drewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,181

LOL - yeah, me too. That's a great duck pic. I didn't know this was possible in Picture Style.

Tom wrote:

Thanks! Learn something new every day... that looks easier than Photoshop Elements!

-- hide signature --

'The whole idea of learning Photography is to reduce the number of Monkeys it takes.'

Himanshu Gaurav Regular Member • Posts: 473
Wow....now teach us too

...don't just tease us

David Strachan
David Strachan Senior Member • Posts: 1,326
Re: to saturate or desaturate parts of your picture.."Picture Style Editor"

Here's a link..

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/editor/index.html

Will show how to use the Canon "Picture Style Editor". Individual colours can be picked and then desaturated, for example.

cheers David S

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica V-Lux 4 Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +2 more
OP Ace-dk New Member • Posts: 11

Really nice picture – it is exactly what I’m looking fore. I have installed the Picture Style Editor provided from canon but still I can’t make it work.

I take the picture in RAW and upload it to the program. But I can’t make the picture in to B&W. I only seem to be chancing 1 colour at the time and even that one I can’t make in to B&W.

Is it possible to take a photo. Convert it in to B&W in one click, and the put on one colour on the thing you want to colour?

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 25,416
Great third shot

Your dog? Give it a pat for me.

BAK

David Strachan
David Strachan Senior Member • Posts: 1,326
Re: Black/White + one colour. use a PP program

Use a post processing program.

Select area you want left cloured. Choose "Invert" so the inverted area is selected.The inverted area is then "desaturate". Deselect everything...and left with a spot of colour in your monochrome image.

Cheers David S

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica V-Lux 4 Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +2 more
Dream Surfr Forum Member • Posts: 74

If you want to use that workflow, then picture style may not be right for you. You may need to use Photoshop software.

The picture style editor is tricky to use and requires a bit of patience. To fully desaturate the colours you need to use multiple overlapping "areas of influence". One is not enough.

Another limitation is you cannot locally change a colour without affecting the same colour in another part of the photo. For example, the following photo (done with another custom picture style) retains the blue and orange colours while everything else is desaturated. You cannot have one duck leg desaturated but retain the orange on the other leg.

Ace-dk wrote:

I take the picture in RAW and upload it to the program. But I can’t make the picture in to B&W. I only seem to be chancing 1 colour at the time and even that one I can’t make in to B&W.

Is it possible to take a photo. Convert it in to B&W in one click, and the put on one colour on the thing you want to colour?

Passegua New Member • Posts: 3

Dream Surfr wrote:

Yes you can do it in camera. You don't need to use special software other than the one provided by Canon. The software is called Picture Style Editor. It allows you to shift/remap colours and upload your colour profile to your camera.

If you shoot jpg straight out of the camera, you need to upload your custom made picture style and select it before you take pictures. If you shoot RAW, you can do it in post processing by selecting the picture style in your DPP.

The Picture Style Style Editor is quite obscure to understand but is quite powerful if you know it.

See this picture I did with my own custom picture style:

Would you be so kind to explain me how is it possible to selective coloring that picture using Canon Picture Style Editor? I searched around but I didn't figure out how come. I'm using Canon DPP and I'd like to keep it simple without new software as Lightroom or Photoshop. Many many thanks. Daniele

Passegua's gear list:Passegua's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
WSteveP
WSteveP Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Daniele

Do you realize that this thread is almost five years old.

You might be better off asking your question in the Retouching Forum.

Steve

WSteveP's gear list:WSteveP's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads