NEW Lensmate S90 Adapter Installation

Started Apr 28, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Royal1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,406
NEW Lensmate S90 Adapter Installation

I received my new style Lensmate S90 filter adapter kit today. As usual with Lensmate the product was shipped very quickly and is made of quality products. This is the kit to use to prevent the flash shadow as seen previously.

The first thing you need to do is clean the area around the lens with the included alcohol swap.

As instructed turn the camera on DON'T zoom the lens and remove the battery.

As you can see the adhesive disc is on the adapter. You need to separate the two rings. They developed a very nice bayonet mount - just twist slightly and pull them apart.

Now place the cardboard adapter tube over the lens until it stops. I had some trouble with this and was afraid of putting too much pressure on the lens. I used a letter opener to kind of ream out the tube on the edge.

Now slip the tube over the lens.

Now remove the tape backing from the adapter and place in the tube. I lined the two little magnets horizontally to the body.

Remove the cardboard tube and this is what you have.

Replace the battery and turn on your camera. You can now take flash pictures with the filter adapter holder removed.

With a filter on - I first screwed the filter on the holder and then put the holder on the camera. A very light twist is all you need on the bayonet adapter and the two little magnets hold in firmly in place. To remove twist in the opposite direction to clear the stops.

This contraption is to remove the holder if you want. Although you will need to get an additional adhesive disc. There is no reason to remove the holder to get flash shots.

You even get a nice ckip on lens cap.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND TAKE SOME PICTURES !!!!

Royal1's gear list:Royal1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E2 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II +1 more
PJBC Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: NEW Lensmate S90 Adapter Installation

Any idea how much lower profile this adapter is than the old one? It doesn't look too much thinner than the first lensmate version one I already have on there.

But my adapter gets in the way so often, I'm looking to replace it with something much slimmer.

Royal1 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,406

It must be a bit thinner because I can get it in my case easier than the old one. It's not a wide when the filter adapter is off. Hence the fact you can now take a flash shot without the blackout area at the left top.

40 yr vett Junior Member • Posts: 32

Hey, thanks for the tip. I've been gathering s90 accessories and tips on my "Canon s90 Tips & Accessories" page at

http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/s90-Accessories+Techniques.html

Maybe, eventually, I'll track them all down.
--
40 yr vett

Cool, thanks.

Oh, if it's easy to do, might you be able to perhaps measure its depth? Then I can compare it to the old one.

royal1 wrote:

It must be a bit thinner because I can get it in my case easier than the old one. It's not a wide when the filter adapter is off. Hence the fact you can now take a flash shot without the blackout area at the left top.

emailsucks98
emailsucks98 Regular Member • Posts: 308

royal1 wrote:

It must be a bit thinner because I can get it in my case easier than the old one.

Do you use the Canon leather case by chance?

I am really interested in this adapter, but I have the leather case and was concerned that the receiver ring might make the lens to thick to fit inside the case. It's already a tight squeeze with the grip added on.

Thanks for the write up!

According to the site it adds about 3mm or 1/8 of an inch to the camera. Here is the site showing the size. These are very nice people if you have any concerns they will answer them real quick.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/s90v2.php

PuzzleGal Contributing Member • Posts: 953
thanks

cool, thanks for sharing.

Re: thanks

Your welcome. Thanks for the acknowledgment.

Ah, so the new adapter, then, is not actually any thinner than the old one...They are both 3.25 mm.

I'm going to stick with the previous version that I have. Sometime soon I might actually remove mine since it makes sticking into cases and pockets surprisingly more difficult (that's the only downside of lensmate...)

It is slighty thinner. But as stated the big advantage was being able to use the camera flash without a shadow being cast by the adapter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads