Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions
wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Article by Damian
tom sugnet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,342

It's noisy at low ISO's as all tiny-sensor cams.
--
Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5500 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555

tom sugnet wrote:

Grain is good.

OP Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

Well, I wouldn't call the sensor tiny. In fact it's the same size as in the G11, S90 or LX3, all highly regarded cameras. Granted, there's some luminance noise, but I'd say it's quite unobtrusive, and mostly only visible in even areas. Personally I prefer a bit of noise instead of sacrificing sharpness, especially in a pure-JPG camera, as you're always able to remove noise afterwards.

All in all I find the new samples very good, and dismissing them because of a little noise seems a bit quick-handed.

tom sugnet wrote:

--

RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555

Jon Rty wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call the sensor tiny. In fact it's the same size as in the G11, S90 or LX3, all highly regarded cameras. Granted, there's some luminance noise, but I'd say it's quite unobtrusive, and mostly only visible in even areas. Personally I prefer a bit of noise instead of sacrificing sharpness, especially in a pure-JPG camera, as you're always able to remove noise afterwards.

All in all I find the new samples very good, and dismissing them because of a little noise seems a bit quick-handed.

Well, and you always have your cell phone on-hand. There's a lot to be said for any camera you carry 24/7.

What I'd like, and I know the "liquid lenses" are probably going to eventually make this idea one for the scrapheap, but I'd love a little internal lens turret with three tiny primes so the cell phone camera didn't always have to be a wide-angle machine.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,135

tom sugnet wrote:

Nope, IQ is awesome. Stop viewing at 100 or 200% with your eye up to your screen and start enjoying the entire picture!

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,135
incorrect

Jon Rty wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call the sensor tiny. In fact it's the same size as in the G11, S90 or LX3, all highly regarded cameras.

G11 is 1/1.7" sensor and this is what 1/1.9" or 1/1.83". Not the same size.

Re: incorrect

You're absolutely right, this has a 1/1.83" sensor, so its not exactly the same size. Maybe I should've said so close to the same size that it makes virtually no difference? Personally, I almost never note the sensor-size difference between Canon and Nikon crop-cameras, even though the difference is comparable.

RedFox88 wrote:

Jon Rty wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call the sensor tiny. In fact it's the same size as in the G11, S90 or LX3, all highly regarded cameras.

G11 is 1/1.7" sensor and this is what 1/1.9" or 1/1.83". Not the same size.

Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Noise and our handling of it explained a little more.

Hi Jon Rty.

This was exactly are thinking, not to destroy details for the benefit of viewing lower noise at 100%. We also concluded that retaining detail provided more flexibility for those whose personal preference differed from ours. In other words, if you want to reduce the small amount of noise then you're free to do so. But if we had done that the detail would be lost forever for those who would prefer to retain it like yourself, so we keep more people happy this way. [I hope].

What was different this time was that we had better optics than ever before and a bigger sensor. It's the combination of these that gave us a better platform to create a more naturally detailed image rather than the over enhanced images of other broadly comparable handsets.

Comparing against other digital cameras from very well known brands we have been seeing this.

Against 'A' brand compacts (along the lines of a top of the line Ixus) we are typically providing more detail in a variety of situations.

Against 'A' brand high end prosummer compacts (along the lines of Canon G11) we are seeing similar detail in ok ish lighting but with a little more noise at 100%. In A3 size prints you can't tell the difference at all.

Glad you like them btw

br

D

Jon Rty wrote:

tom sugnet wrote:

--

Re: Noise and our handling of it explained a little more.

I do indeed, and I appreciate you taking the time to post here. Personally, I might wait for a MeeGo device, as IT is as much a hobby for me as photography. Sadly I suspect having to sacrifice the camera-performance. But I have to say, the N8 is the first phone I've seen that takes photographs that really please me, and it seems to be a valid choice for a camera for those who are looking for quality.

As a comparison, I didn't like the samples from the Ricoh GXR with the P10 module.

Damian D wrote:
Hi Jon Rty.

This was exactly are thinking, not to destroy details for the benefit of viewing lower noise at 100%. We also concluded that retaining detail provided more flexibility for those whose personal preference differed from ours. In other words, if you want to reduce the small amount of noise then you're free to do so. But if we had done that the detail would be lost forever for those who would prefer to retain it like yourself, so we keep more people happy this way. [I hope].

What was different this time was that we had better optics than ever before and a bigger sensor. It's the combination of these that gave us a better platform to create a more naturally detailed image rather than the over enhanced images of other broadly comparable handsets.

Comparing against other digital cameras from very well known brands we have been seeing this.

Against 'A' brand compacts (along the lines of a top of the line Ixus) we are typically providing more detail in a variety of situations.

Against 'A' brand high end prosummer compacts (along the lines of Canon G11) we are seeing similar detail in ok ish lighting but with a little more noise at 100%. In A3 size prints you can't tell the difference at all.

Glad you like them btw

br

D

Jon Rty wrote:

tom sugnet wrote:

--

M4dde New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Noise and our handling of it explained a little more.

I do not mind the noise at all. I think you made the right choise!

Mehluli New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

What is the range of shutter speed in the N8?

Is it possible to shoot night trails like atleast most DSLRs do? If not, I'm thinking that its a software issue hence its possible that FW updates include it, say up to 5secs long?

I know this is a phone PLUS Camera, hence we can not expect everything but I guess it would be nice to have such features if its possible.
--
-more than a conqueror-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads