Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions
cancausecancer Junior Member • Posts: 45
My n82 improvement wishlist

Further improvements to the site or the camera? If to the camera, then I can tell you have improvements I'd like to see over n82.

Here is my improvement wish list:

1) Ability to sit the phone on a table without it falling over. The sides have a slant which makes the phone unable to sit on it's own.

2) Ability to take pics within a few seconds of opening the lens cover button. It takes 5-20 seconds to get the first shot off with my n82, can be more than 30 seconds if the phone decides to be slow and difficult.

3) Raw mode. I downloaded a 3rd part photo app to take raw DNG photos but it only snaps them at low res. Since it's possible, include it.

4) Something to allow longer exposures. I can't get enough light with exposure compensation maxed out and the iso on the highest. I just need a way to record more light.

cancausecancer Junior Member • Posts: 45
I too have bulging pockets

You're not alone. I had a phone, Sony PSP and P&S I carried around with me depending on what my travel agenda was for the day. I got tired of it and just wanted 1 gadget so after months of research I grabbed the Nokia n82 because at the time it was the best (5MP, nGage gaming).

Now that I have only 1 gadget I can't go back to 2-3 gadgets ever again, its just a pain in the ass. If I bring the large camera with me then I leave my phone at home. If I take my phone I leave the large cam at home.

The n82 is old now and software/interface is slow so I want an upgrade but there hasn't been anything considerably better in the speed/camera/gaming mashup to warrant it.

wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: I too have bulging pockets

I see a release date in Europe of late august 2010, is that correct?

Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: I too have bulging pockets

The only official information available at this time is Q3.

br

D

wii wrote:

I see a release date in Europe of late august 2010, is that correct?

G10Rebel
G10Rebel Contributing Member • Posts: 788
Nokia N8 UK Hands-On

Here:

http://labs.v3.co.uk/2010/06/hands-on-nokia.html

Looks promising as multimedia powerhouse.
--
http://hdr.strivearth.com | canon fodder

danny_d New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Questions for Damian

Hi Damian,

Does the N8's sensor have backside illumination.
I read the iphone 4 is using this.

http://www.tested.com/news/how-iphone-4s-new-camera-sensor-illuminates-low-light/396/

Are you farmiliar with this?

If you are, is there a real improvement in image quality or is this just the usual Apple hype.

Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893

danny_d wrote:

Hi Damian,

Does the N8's sensor have backside illumination.
I read the iphone 4 is using this.

http://www.tested.com/news/how-iphone-4s-new-camera-sensor-illuminates-low-light/396/

Are you farmiliar with this?

If you are, is there a real improvement in image quality or is this just the usual Apple hype.

The N8 is using a frontside illuminated sensor. But not all sensors are the same.

It wouldn't be professional for me to comment on another manufacturers product. So I'll just comment on ours According to the information we have we [Nokia] should remain happy with the performance of the N8 against its competitors in the market place as a result of the combination of the Carl Zeiss optics, large sensor and image processing.

atb

D.

tyler_dx Regular Member • Posts: 174

hey guys,

i still love my old nokia n82... the image quality is awesome for an old cell.

in terms of picture quality the n8 seems to be great, but i'm kinda sick of symbian. i think android offers way more.

so here is what i'm planning to buy: the motorola XT720. great camera with a real xenon flash and android.

OP Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

Well, that's not really true. Functionality wise my 4 year old Symbian still offers everything Android does. It's still by far the best non-touchscreen interface out there. The problem really only was in the touchscreen interface, but that's exactly what the N8 and Symbian^3 should fix, so I'd wait until it has launched.

tyler_dx wrote:

hey guys,

in terms of picture quality the n8 seems to be great, but i'm kinda sick of symbian. i think android offers way more.

so here is what i'm planning to buy: the motorola XT720. great camera with a real xenon flash and android.

do u really think so?

i also like the functionality of my 2 n a bit year old symbian device... i am a symbian fan, cause it offers a lot. but for touchscreen devices i don't have a good experience regarding symbian. i don't know about symbian 3, but i know i like android.

i'm sure i'd get all the software i really need (wikipedia, dictionary and a decent navigation software) for symbian, but there is plenty of useful stuff out there for android already and android is growing super fast. when i think about the next two years (normal time u use a cell) i decided android should work better for me than symbian 3.

i'm pretty sure though that the camera of ne n8 will be better than the one of the XT720 (not cause of the MP.... that's for sure), but the XT720 has android and a screen resolution i prefer.

if the XT720 gets bad reviews the n8 is the second device i consider, becuase there are only a few good phones out there with a xenon flash.

Jon Rty wrote:

Well, that's not really true. Functionality wise my 4 year old Symbian still offers everything Android does. It's still by far the best non-touchscreen interface out there. The problem really only was in the touchscreen interface, but that's exactly what the N8 and Symbian^3 should fix, so I'd wait until it has launched.

tyler_dx wrote:

hey guys,

OP Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

I do. The only question really is the touchscreen interface, but from what I've seen from the dozen or so youtube videos about the N8 it looks pretty good. Those who have used both say it's smoother than Android.

As for apps, theres already more than ten thousand in the store alone, and many more over http://www . Nokia and Intel are also togheter is migrating to a new developement language, Qt, which really should boost developement for Symbian. Thanks to Qt almost half of all smartphones out there as well as every Intel tablet or netbook can run every app made in it. That should make Qt a very attractive language to develope in, so I can't imagine that there will be a shortage of apps. You've got to remeber that there's over ten times more Symbian than Android phones out there, and developers usually want as many customers as possible.

tyler_dx wrote:
do u really think so?

i also like the functionality of my 2 n a bit year old symbian device... i am a symbian fan, cause it offers a lot. but for touchscreen devices i don't have a good experience regarding symbian. i don't know about symbian 3, but i know i like android.

i'm sure i'd get all the software i really need (wikipedia, dictionary and a decent navigation software) for symbian, but there is plenty of useful stuff out there for android already and android is growing super fast. when i think about the next two years (normal time u use a cell) i decided android should work better for me than symbian 3.

i'm pretty sure though that the camera of ne n8 will be better than the one of the XT720 (not cause of the MP.... that's for sure), but the XT720 has android and a screen resolution i prefer.

if the XT720 gets bad reviews the n8 is the second device i consider, becuase there are only a few good phones out there with a xenon flash.

Jon Rty wrote:

tyler_dx wrote:

hey guys,

thanks a lot for the useful information jon!

didn't know about that much about the apps from nokia.

i really want to see both devices in real life to see which one i like more. i used nokia devices for several years and i loved them - especially because of symbian. when touchscreens came up i was a bit upset about the first nokia devices and symbian... hopefully symbian 3 makes everything better.

XT720 is still higher on my list, because of the specs, but i really have to see the first reviews of both devices.

thx
tdx

G10Rebel
N9 Rumors?

http://www.gsmarena.com/qwertyenabled_nokia_n9_surfaces_runs_on_symbian ^3-news-1764.php

Dual LED flash. Hopefully it can be used as torchlight
--

Anfy
Anfy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,465
Re: N9 Rumors?

I thought N9 would have been the designation for the Linux based Meego N900 successor (which camera BTW is acceptable).

Ciao!

G10Rebel wrote:

http://www.gsmarena.com/qwertyenabled_nokia_n9_surfaces_runs_on_symbian ^3-news-1764.php

Dual LED flash. Hopefully it can be used as torchlight
--

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

ocean21fxb New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

I hope this would be a great camera phone. I even used to my N82 and it delivers a great images. in a 5mp camera, but now with n8. it would be much more.

godfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

I know this has been commented on many times, but I just want to say I agree with those asking for noise reduction that can be adjusted and disabled. I am sure the level of NR done in the phone is just what most people are looking for, however NR control is just what most advanced users are looking for.

Also, RAW+JPEG would be absolutely great. Even the top end hardware JPEG engines in 1000$+ DSLRs are no match for the latest software RAW developers, so I doubt the JPEG engines in phones are getting the most from the sensor. Adding this would also remove the need for NR control (only single-sensel NR on RAW please ).

Thank you for taking your time to interact here on DPReview, it is an very interesting insight into phone camera development. The N8 seems to be taking the path Ive been hoping phone makers would go for, the best possible non-zoom optic on the biggest possible sensor. Hopefully the next phone will have a back lit sensor

-- hide signature --
G10Rebel
Re: N9 Rumors?
stylinred New Member • Posts: 10

+103892130980 for a RAW format

eagerly awaiting this phone I hope it comes out soon

stylinred's gear list:stylinred's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony E 20mm F2.8
GeorgeZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,773
Article by Damian

Here an interesting article about the camera in the N8, written by the man himself:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/07/08/nokia-n8-camera-2260-days-in-the-making-part-12/

I hope people will have some comon sense and see that this is, while not killing compact cameras, a serious step in the right direction. A decent 28mm lens, a large sensor and some brains behind the image processing will give you something that you want to use more than ever before in something you always carry with you.

wii Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: Article by Damian

These samples look good:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/07/09/nokia-n8-sample-images-untouched/

But I would like to see some videos as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads