Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions
Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: Lens Cover

Jon Rty wrote:

I'd say the only way now is with a external cover, as I'd be very surprised if Nokia changed the design so close to launch. I think most will use some sort of sleeve on it anyway considering the size of the screen, shouldn't that help some already?

photosites wrote:

I guess apart from scratches, lens cover prevents smudges resulted from finger prints, facial oil, oily table tops, etc. Without a lens cover, one would literally need to clean the lens before every shot. Even with the lens cover on my C901, I still have a Lenspen mobile attached to my phone and I will still need to clean it occasionally.

You may have the best sensor with the best lenses but I can very surely tell you that a little bit of smudging will ruin the best photos. Most mobile camera lenses are smudged most of the time. What is the point of the lens being able to resolve 12mpx when its performance is degraded by smudges all the time?

So if I can make a suggestion for this phone, I would strongly suggest adding a lens cover - either via an external attachment, casing (hard or soft) or through some small modifications to the chassis.

You are right. We take this very seriously but we also need to balance the capability of the entire product, not just the camera but also the size and design. Adding a lens cover, would have increased the size of the raised area around the camera, especially with regard to thickness. (something in the range of 2 – 2.5mm) There would also have been an impact to the foot print as there are other components in that area. Such as, flash capacitor, loudspeaker and one of the stereo digital microphones. The cover glass itself is multi-coated and is heavily scratch resistance. It passes Nokia’s tumble test and other associated durability tests which I posted a link to in another message in this thread.

Furthermore, there are more and more applications becoming available which use the main camera, such as Facebook and augmented reality applications. These allow the camera to be launched from the application itself. However, a manual design would not allow this. You need to separately open the lens cover. An automatic lens cover would overcome that issue but such mechanisms thus far have required larger foot prints.

From a personal point of view I am accustomed to wiping the lens with a clean soft item of clothing. The scratch resistant properties allow this and the design makes it easy to do without it feeling a chore. I have seen many camera phones even with physical lens covers still showing finger prints. Granted the risk is lower but there is no perfect solution I am afraid. One issue which can occur with mechanical mechanisms is the build up of dust which collects in the recessed areas and because the opening is so small it's very hard to clean. The designs such as that used in the Nokia N8 we find are much easier to clean in practice.

atb

D

Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,240
the 1/1.9" sensor is nice ... but do we need 12Mp for a cell-phone?

I am impressed to see how Nokia manages to get that quality of photography into a cell phone / mobile device... As a photographer, I rather have a sensor more optimized for the best possible IQ / DR / low light ... then trying to cram more Mp into the small sensors. There are so many situations where we need to photograph fast moving scenes and flash is not a possible option... that does require high ISO / high speed / wide open aperture... and these are situations where those small sensors only give less then decent images.

I think this market is still racing for more Mp's for marketing purposes instead of becoming rational ... the P&S market is finally realizing that Mp's is not everything as shown by the success of the Panasonic LX3 and now the Canon S90. To me, instead of 12Mp for a cell / mobile device, 8Mp (of high IQ) is plenty and more then enough... I would be even happy with 6Mp ... enough to make very good 5x7 to 8x10.

Comments and thoughts?
--
Escaping (CT, USA) http://www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D90 / K10D / K-m / GF1 / LX3

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X30 +83 more
photosites New Member • Posts: 4

Damian D wrote:

Jon Rty wrote:

I'd say the only way now is with a external cover, as I'd be very surprised if Nokia changed the design so close to launch. I think most will use some sort of sleeve on it anyway considering the size of the screen, shouldn't that help some already?

photosites wrote:

I guess apart from scratches, lens cover prevents smudges resulted from finger prints, facial oil, oily table tops, etc. Without a lens cover, one would literally need to clean the lens before every shot. Even with the lens cover on my C901, I still have a Lenspen mobile attached to my phone and I will still need to clean it occasionally.

You may have the best sensor with the best lenses but I can very surely tell you that a little bit of smudging will ruin the best photos. Most mobile camera lenses are smudged most of the time. What is the point of the lens being able to resolve 12mpx when its performance is degraded by smudges all the time?

So if I can make a suggestion for this phone, I would strongly suggest adding a lens cover - either via an external attachment, casing (hard or soft) or through some small modifications to the chassis.

You are right. We take this very seriously but we also need to balance the capability of the entire product, not just the camera but also the size and design. Adding a lens cover, would have increased the size of the raised area around the camera, especially with regard to thickness. (something in the range of 2 – 2.5mm) There would also have been an impact to the foot print as there are other components in that area. Such as, flash capacitor, loudspeaker and one of the stereo digital microphones. The cover glass itself is multi-coated and is heavily scratch resistance. It passes Nokia’s tumble test and other associated durability tests which I posted a link to in another message in this thread.

Furthermore, there are more and more applications becoming available which use the main camera, such as Facebook and augmented reality applications. These allow the camera to be launched from the application itself. However, a manual design would not allow this. You need to separately open the lens cover. An automatic lens cover would overcome that issue but such mechanisms thus far have required larger foot prints.

From a personal point of view I am accustomed to wiping the lens with a clean soft item of clothing. The scratch resistant properties allow this and the design makes it easy to do without it feeling a chore. I have seen many camera phones even with physical lens covers still showing finger prints. Granted the risk is lower but there is no perfect solution I am afraid. One issue which can occur with mechanical mechanisms is the build up of dust which collects in the recessed areas and because the opening is so small it's very hard to clean. The designs such as that used in the Nokia N8 we find are much easier to clean in practice.

atb

D

Let me first say how impressed I am to find a representative from a manufacturer participating in a forum like this to gather feedback and answer questions. By doing this, I think Nokia is already taking a great step towards creating a great product for consumers.

Back to the lens cover issue, Damian I think your explanation is valid regarding keeping the size small and you are right on the dust problem associated with lens cover. However, scratch proof or not I still get very nervous when I see an exposed lens being stuffed into a pocket. It is a bit like looking at an exposed sensor from a micro fourthirds camera and touching it

It would definitely be great if Nokia can also include some kind of lens cleaner or protector in the final packaging. Perhaps, as what Jon Rty mentioned, something as simple as a pouch. But it has to be a pouch that takes extra care of the lens. Definitely not something like the Pixon 12 pouch which protects everything else BUT THE LENS!!

G10Rebel
G10Rebel Contributing Member • Posts: 788
Re: Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

New interview with Nokia about N8:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8_camera-review-476.php

-- hide signature --
Re: the 1/1.9" sensor is nice ... but do we need 12Mp for a cell-phone?

Here's what I wrote elsewhere on this thread in case you missed it relating to your point:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=35185046

One other point relating to this though. In the case of video we use the opportunity provided by having all those pixels through the binning process to reduce noise to such a low level in good lighting that we're not appying any noise reduction. It's this that provides the high detail yet low noise we get vs broadly comparable devices.

BTW in 16:9 mode the resolution is 9mp and we're finding more and more people are using this aspect ratio given the size of electronic displays.

br

D

Escaping wrote:

I am impressed to see how Nokia manages to get that quality of photography into a cell phone / mobile device... As a photographer, I rather have a sensor more optimized for the best possible IQ / DR / low light ... then trying to cram more Mp into the small sensors. There are so many situations where we need to photograph fast moving scenes and flash is not a possible option... that does require high ISO / high speed / wide open aperture... and these are situations where those small sensors only give less then decent images.

I think this market is still racing for more Mp's for marketing purposes instead of becoming rational ... the P&S market is finally realizing that Mp's is not everything as shown by the success of the Panasonic LX3 and now the Canon S90. To me, instead of 12Mp for a cell / mobile device, 8Mp (of high IQ) is plenty and more then enough... I would be even happy with 6Mp ... enough to make very good 5x7 to 8x10.

Comments and thoughts?
--
Escaping (CT, USA) http://www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D90 / K10D / K-m / GF1 / LX3

Thank you for your comments.

Not sure what the story is right now with cases and lens cleaning clothes in box. My area of speciality is just imaging in relation to this specific product. But I'll pass this on.

On the subjct of cases, given the very high volumes of a high profile device such as the N8 (sorry, I don't mean that to sound arrogant or complacent) but I would expect there to be many different cases provided by various suppliers in addition to ourselves. I would therefore be surprised if you couldn't find a case that fits the bill for you after the product becomes available.

atb

D

photosites wrote:

Damian D wrote:

Jon Rty wrote:

photosites wrote:

atb

D

Let me first say how impressed I am to find a representative from a manufacturer participating in a forum like this to gather feedback and answer questions. By doing this, I think Nokia is already taking a great step towards creating a great product for consumers.

Back to the lens cover issue, Damian I think your explanation is valid regarding keeping the size small and you are right on the dust problem associated with lens cover. However, scratch proof or not I still get very nervous when I see an exposed lens being stuffed into a pocket. It is a bit like looking at an exposed sensor from a micro fourthirds camera and touching it

It would definitely be great if Nokia can also include some kind of lens cleaner or protector in the final packaging. Perhaps, as what Jon Rty mentioned, something as simple as a pouch. But it has to be a pouch that takes extra care of the lens. Definitely not something like the Pixon 12 pouch which protects everything else BUT THE LENS!!

photosites New Member • Posts: 4
Wish List

I love great camera phones, it is almost always there with you and taking pictures with it is as inconspicuous as, well making a call. The N8 has potential to be the greatest camera phone ever. Just thought I might as well make a wish list for it (some of which could already present in the product)

• Uncompressed RAW file format - This usually allow better noise control and adjustment.

• Control of Noise Reduction - I think Damien mentioned that there is no NR done in camera? It would be great to be able to control.

• Shot to shot time of about 2 sec... or less

• Burst mode of about 3-4fps

• Aperture control - Is the aperture made up of blade diaphragm? It will be nice to be able to control the aperture

• Flash control - Forced ON/Fill flash capable (unlike the Satio)

• Software filter effects (Fish Eye/Miniaturization Effects/ HDR perhaps? )

• Adjustable Exposure Compensation

• Continuous AF tracking in Video

• Various Metering mode (Spot, Matrix, etc)

• A decent built-in post-processing software

• Dynamic Range Optimizer?

Thanks.

Re: Wish List

Thanks for the wish list. I added some comments below:

atb

D

photosites wrote:

I love great camera phones, it is almost always there with you and taking pictures with it is as inconspicuous as, well making a call.

DD. Yes I personally see this is their greatest value but one which many people seem to miss. I hear "OH I'd only ever use my DSLR..." Yes we all want the best quality we can get but if it ain't with you... I know some people will chime in here and say how they always carry a small compact instead and so don't need a camera phone. Fair enough and you're fully entitled to that choice, but that I know is representative of the minority.

I use a Nikon D70 with some pretty expensive glass which I'm waiting to replace with a D300s but I have to say that when I look at images taken in OK light with something like the N8 I can't tell the difference. I've currently got as my desktop wallpaper an image I took with my N8. People see it and expect me to tell them it's taken with a high end SLR. It looks gorgeous! Last year when we were tuning the N86 8MP I had two shots taken at the same time and most people I showed them to prefered the image taken with the Nokia phone (primarily because of the punchy colour and good detail at that magnification). Yes, I know the D70 is old now and this was full screen viewing (what most people do) and was in good light. I'm not saying that either of these products are a replacement for something like a DSLR before anyone starts calling me stupid, I'll save you the trouble

Of course where DSLR's really score is in low light without flash. But we're working on that, but that's for another day

It's just that for a hell of a lot of people out there these things can take some pretty damn good images these days. I'm not suggesting they're perfect. That's not my style and our guys in R&D know that too well as I'm always pushing for more But for what pictures are intended to provide and how they would normally be viewed (not 100%+ screen magnification pixel peeping) they've come a long way.

The N8 has potential to be the greatest camera phone ever. Just thought I might as well make a wish list for it (some of which could already present in the product)

• Uncompressed RAW file format - This usually allow better noise control and adjustment.

I understand the need. We need JPEG+RAW mode to make this work so people can still easily send images direct from the device. RAW on it's own is no good IMO in such devices. This is a lot more complex than it seems on the surface because you need to take into account the whole ecosystem with devices such as phones. You can't just presume everyone has Adobe Photoshop..

• Control of Noise Reduction - I think Damien mentioned that there is no NR done in camera? It would be great to be able to control.

We're not applying any noise reduction in good lighting in video, but we do in stills. We've reduced significantly the amount of noise reduction in the N8 favouring preservation of details with a little fine noise (only visible at high magnifications) which you can then remove yourself if you wish. This recognises that you can't recover detail that's lost forever.

• Shot to shot time of about 2 sec... or less

We're should be around that in most situations. Of course we'd like to be faster.

One for later.

• Aperture control - Is the aperture made up of blade diaphragm? It will be nice to be able to control the aperture

In the case of the N8 it's fixed at f/2.8 The N86 was one of the first and one of only 2-3 mobiles that have any form of variable aperture. I think we would need a wider range of apertures to make it viable to extend manual control. The aperture mechanism on the N86 used a series of perfectly circular discs very similar to the old Minolta TC-1 35mm compact of years gone by Some may remember them as waterhouse stops I believe.

The problem we have is the height of the camera module has a massive affect on image quality. In the case of the N8 rather than the variable aperture mechanism from the N86 we used that space for improved optical performance. I think it was the right decision based on the images we're seeing.

• Flash control - Forced ON/Fill flash capable (unlike the Satio)

N8 supports all of those and we are currently evaluating auto fill-in for when it make sense to do so. e.g. flash for subjects 100m is out of scope and it should know that.

• Software filter effects (Fish Eye/Miniaturization Effects/ HDR perhaps? )

Not at capture stage but there is an onboard editor which allows a lot of controls for later editing before uploading/sending etc, it's pretty cool.

• Adjustable Exposure Compensation

Yes, + - 2 EV

• Continuous AF tracking in Video

See other posts from me explaining why we don't have this in N8. In summary it's to ensure we have dependable subject detail. We use an Active Hyper focal distance system which coupled to the 28mm wideangle and the circle of confusion required for 720p video means you get lots of detail from 60cm to infinity.

• Various Metering mode (Spot, Matrix, etc)

It's like a matrix system. No other metering options. Focus and AE are locked at half press though so you can often get around not having those additional options when the going gets tough.

• A decent built-in post-processing software

Looks good to me, but given the availability (or not as the case may be) of on-board editors in devices not sure what would consititute decent? Some may say it 's amazing...

• Dynamic Range Optimizer?

We've been testing this but I have to say I don't like the noise it brings...

Barretlight Regular Member • Posts: 302

Dear Damian,

First of all, congratulations for the great work you have done on N8. The amazing samples drew a lot of attention to all amateur photographers that want to carry a camera everywere …like me.

Since I have the oppurtunity to talk with someone from inside Nokia, I 'd like to point out a few things.

My first mobile phone was a Nokia but I ve stayed away from them for a lot of years. The main reason for that was that i didnt like their camera performance. I know that phones like N82 have won awards for their photos but to me they looked like overprocessed uglyness.

For god's sake stay away from that horibble noise reduction that you 've been using for the past years that turns photos into oil paintings (that effect becomes stronger in photos that depict green grass and trees). OR give us the OPTION to chose the level of ND. Some noise is not always bad it seems natural!

I see that you have made some progress with some of the latest phones. I mean 6700c (and E72) had the ND kept low and took really detailed pics compared to those of X6 and N97 while all of them are supposed to have 5mp cameras.

I see you are using the same noise reduction algorithm in N8 but it seems to be softer and therefore leaves behind more details.

Now my other concern are the Megapixels. Like some people said before me, we dont really need 12 mps on a phone camera. Nobody is going to print a poster. I know its probably not your decision and its still a marketing trick.... but I really hope that a company like nokia can finaly stop that silly megapixel war. If you used that large sensor with 8-6 megapixels then we would probably have the LX3 of the phone market.

Still its nice to see for a first time in the camera phone market that besides the megapixel number also the sensor size is mentioned. I hope that only sensor size will increase from now on.

Anyway, I believe that if the price is kept at normal levels N8 will be a best seller.

Its the closest thing to a regular compact camera and I hope its raises the bar for the whole phone industry.

Keep up your good work and good luck.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,672
Re: Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

What, like McDonalds are the biggest beefburger manufacturers!
Jules

Jon Rty wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Nokia said some time ago that they're the biggest camera manufacturer in the world. Soon there might be some merit to it :).

lanef wrote:

Stunning for a phone camera.
Could be the killer of P&S!

-- hide signature --

Does Cameron look like Postman Pat or what?

I think I have addressed these comments already on this thread.

Re noise handling I agree and we are.

br

D.

Barretlight wrote:

Dear Damian,

First of all, congratulations for the great work you have done on N8. The amazing samples drew a lot of attention to all amateur photographers that want to carry a camera everywere …like me.

Since I have the oppurtunity to talk with someone from inside Nokia, I 'd like to point out a few things.

My first mobile phone was a Nokia but I ve stayed away from them for a lot of years. The main reason for that was that i didnt like their camera performance. I know that phones like N82 have won awards for their photos but to me they looked like overprocessed uglyness.

For god's sake stay away from that horibble noise reduction that you 've been using for the past years that turns photos into oil paintings (that effect becomes stronger in photos that depict green grass and trees). OR give us the OPTION to chose the level of ND. Some noise is not always bad it seems natural!

I see that you have made some progress with some of the latest phones. I mean 6700c (and E72) had the ND kept low and took really detailed pics compared to those of X6 and N97 while all of them are supposed to have 5mp cameras.

I see you are using the same noise reduction algorithm in N8 but it seems to be softer and therefore leaves behind more details.

Now my other concern are the Megapixels. Like some people said before me, we dont really need 12 mps on a phone camera. Nobody is going to print a poster. I know its probably not your decision and its still a marketing trick.... but I really hope that a company like nokia can finaly stop that silly megapixel war. If you used that large sensor with 8-6 megapixels then we would probably have the LX3 of the phone market.

Still its nice to see for a first time in the camera phone market that besides the megapixel number also the sensor size is mentioned. I hope that only sensor size will increase from now on.

Anyway, I believe that if the price is kept at normal levels N8 will be a best seller.

Its the closest thing to a regular compact camera and I hope its raises the bar for the whole phone industry.

Keep up your good work and good luck.

photoSmart42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
that's limited thinking, to say the least...

How many photos have you taken as a 'photographer' when you didn't have your camera with you? Is it the camera that makes one a 'photographer', or the actual photos? By your account anyone not using a 4x5 'real' camera isn't a photographer I suppose.

BTW, have you seen the sort of award-winning photos people have taken with their phones cameras? Might want to expand your view on photography before you make statements like this. Just an opinion.

G10Rebel
Questions for Damian D

Damian,

N8 looks great and I will snap this one without doubt if the answers to these questions are satisfactory:

1. Will there any user selectable level of noise removal in the camera system? Advanced users may want to keep some noise in the captured images to be removed later in post processing

2. Will there be any torchlight in the cellphone? Can the flash be used as torchlight?

3. Can it play Divx files right off the bat? If yes, will a converter software be supplied in the package?

4. What will be the game included? I will be satisfied if you include Tetris or Bejeweled

5. Have the firmware been finalized yet?
--
http://hdr.strivearth.com | canon fodder

GeorgeZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,773
Re: Questions for Damian D

I am not Damian but I'll still chime in

G10Rebel wrote:

Damian,

N8 looks great and I will snap this one without doubt if the answers to these questions are satisfactory:

1. Will there any user selectable level of noise removal in the camera system? Advanced users may want to keep some noise in the captured images to be removed later in post processing

That's missing in 97% of P&Ss- you really expect it in a phone?

2. Will there be any torchlight in the cellphone? Can the flash be used as torchlight?

Since it's a real flash it cannot be used as a torchlight. You can't have it all.

3. Can it play Divx files right off the bat? If yes, will a converter software be supplied in the package?

Even if it doesn't there will be (i guess free) SW for it. There are many free converters on the net, good ones too, like AutoGK or WinFF.

4. What will be the game included? I will be satisfied if you include Tetris or Bejeweled

Already some free games on the Ovi Store. These days it's better not to include too much since it's a SMART phone and the user can decide what he wants.

No, at least all the latest demos were not final FW.

-- hide signature --
GeorgeZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Damian D wrote:

One for later.

Obviously- even most dedicated P&Ss these days don't get to 2fps.

N8 supports all of those and we are currently evaluating auto fill-in for when it make sense to do so. e.g. flash for subjects 100m is out of scope and it should know that.

Now THAT's good to hear- finally!! Is there any P&S which can do that? There are so many stupid decisions made by cameras which would be so easy to fix- this is one of them. And it's done by a phone...

Hi responses below marked DD.

br

D

G10Rebel wrote:

Damian,

DD> No dedicated control will be available. However, here's what we're trying to do: Get the best balance between noise and detail out of the box. We won't remove ALL noise but our aim is for it to be low. But at same time we recognise that for some it's best to leave some choice of noise/detail balance hence why we won't remove all noise and some detail with it.

DD> No, xenon can't be used for this, The [red] LED that is present is only for focus assist. Be wary of products until you have tried them which say they have video light but are single LED based.

DD> I believe so but don't quote me on that and I can't guarantee it at this stage in development.

DD> Don't know, I am only involved in the imaging side.

DD> No

-- hide signature --
G10Rebel

Damian D wrote:
Hi responses below marked DD.

br

D

G10Rebel wrote:

Damian,

DD> No dedicated control will be available. However, here's what we're trying to do: Get the best balance between noise and detail out of the box. We won't remove ALL noise but our aim is for it to be low. But at same time we recognise that for some it's best to leave some choice of noise/detail balance hence why we won't remove all noise and some detail with it.

That's good to know

Although you might be panned in reviews because of this (ooh, look, noise! Aargh, my pictures have acnes!)

DD> No, xenon can't be used for this, The [red] LED that is present is only for focus assist. Be wary of products until you have tried them which say they have video light but are single LED based.

My Siemens S75 has LED based camera assisting LED that can be used as weak torchlight. Very helpful in tight spots

DD> I believe so but don't quote me on that and I can't guarantee it at this stage in development.

DD> Don't know, I am only involved in the imaging side.

DD> No

And I have heard that the N8 has been owning other models out there in terms of benchmark speed.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
wii Regular Member • Posts: 206

Damian,

Thanks for posting here.

Can you elaborate on the video feature of the N8?

1. Is the 720p comparable to the current 720p we see on Panasonic TZ7/TZ10?

2. Is read somewhere that the sound of the N8 is in fact in stereo, but can you please make sure that it can handle live concerts without distortion? Panasonic TZ7/TZ10 can, but for example the Sony HX5V can't.

Thanks

Re noise, in ok lighting you're going to need to zoom to 100% to see it. And even then it's low, well at least IMO.

br

D

Q1. I presume you mean is it as good? To be honest I haven't been able to compare it so I can't answer that. The recording specs are 1280x720p @25fps, encoded using H.264 at just over 9mbps (small chance this could change).

Q2. Yes it is stereo It's encoded using AAC 128kbps with 48kHz sampling, sounds really great. Re sound distortion: We have some new algorithms running in the N8 for the first time. One of the aspects they handle are environments where a relatively constant high volume is automatically adjusted. I've seen/heard videos tested in a bar environment where there was live music. In this particular example I was amazed at the performance. Firstly the music was clear and free of distortion and secondly there was someone behind the person filming who asked them what they wanted to drink and that was perfectly clear as well. This is because the one of the stereo digital mics is at the front of the product (just below the display) and the 2nd is placed at the back just by the camera.

atb

D

wii wrote:

Can you elaborate on the video feature of the N8?

1. Is the 720p comparable to the current 720p we see on Panasonic TZ7/TZ10?

2. Is read somewhere that the sound of the N8 is in fact in stereo, but can you please make sure that it can handle live concerts without distortion? Panasonic TZ7/TZ10 can, but for example the Sony HX5V can't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads