Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

Started Apr 27, 2010 | Discussions
RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
Re: bulging pockets

Eric Fossum wrote:

Having returned from a week in Hawaii fairly recently, I had a chance to consider what I was going to stuff into the pockets of my shorts during scenic walkabouts.

Which is lovely if you're prepared to go out and take in scenery. By all means, carry a camera. But what about when you're walking out of the bank and see someone with a giant iguana sitting on their head. That happened to me a few days ago and I didn't have a camera or my phone with me. Heh...but if I'd have been more likely to be carrying my phone at the time. Although, to be honest...when I leave the house I usually leave my phone at home unless I'm going to be out for quite a while. I like being unreachable.

So...uh...I'm arguing for the usefulness of an appliance I don't really like to carry, but I can see how it might be very handy for some!

-Rob (who's had the same cell number for over a decade and still can't remember it)

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,672
Re: Nokia N8 announced: 1/1.9" 12 megapixel with + Samples

What does 1/1.9" actually mean? Can some one explain? Why not just give the opposite corner to corner dimension of the sensor?

Jules

Jon Rty wrote:

The Nokia N8 launched today and should have a 1/1.9" sensor: http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-large-is-the-nokia-n8-12-megapixel-large-image-sensor/

There's also a small gallery taken with a pre-production phone: http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/27/first-12-megapixel-sample-photos-shot-on-nokia-n8-untouched/

Some of them are pretty nice considering that the phone won't be launched in 4 months or so.

-- hide signature --

Too much political rubbish coming through my letter box. Politicians note,.....save a tree.

OP Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

It's a old naming scheme and thus a bit confusing. DPRview explains it nicely.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

JulesJ wrote:

What does 1/1.9" actually mean? Can some one explain? Why not just give the opposite corner to corner dimension of the sensor?

Jules

Jon Rty wrote:

The Nokia N8 launched today and should have a 1/1.9" sensor: http://blog.gsmarena.com/how-large-is-the-nokia-n8-12-megapixel-large-image-sensor/

There's also a small gallery taken with a pre-production phone: http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/04/27/first-12-megapixel-sample-photos-shot-on-nokia-n8-untouched/

Some of them are pretty nice considering that the phone won't be launched in 4 months or so.

zzonbi Regular Member • Posts: 231
compared to Pixon12

In the case of the optics we're using here the theoretical output resolution is so close to 12mp that it's not worth mentioning.

3000lph in practice? Pixon12 is only about 2000, and seems the best camera on a phone currently.

Quite some resolution gradient on those pics. Perhaps raw, to go with the 'Tessar' trick?

JKP Regular Member • Posts: 232

Quite amazing for a cell phone! Especially the HD video was good, the best I have seen so far.

Looks like it's time to upgrade my old phone.

lanef Forum Pro • Posts: 10,317

Stunning for a phone camera.
Could be the killer of P&S!

If I'm not mistaken Nokia said some time ago that they're the biggest camera manufacturer in the world. Soon there might be some merit to it :).

lanef wrote:

Stunning for a phone camera.
Could be the killer of P&S!

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,672

Thanks for that link Jon.
Jules

Jon Rty wrote:
It's a old naming scheme and thus a bit confusing. DPRview explains it nicely.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

JulesJ wrote:

Jules

Jon Rty wrote:

-- hide signature --

Too much political rubbish coming through my letter box. Politicians note,.....save a tree.

udi4444 New Member • Posts: 3
Nokia N8 12-Megapixel Camera First Review

from the reviews on the net so far, the N8 doesn't look like the best smart phone out there, but the camera looks VERY VERY promising ...

you can check out the reviews here: http://noknok.tv/2010/04/27/nokia-n8-12-megapixel-camera-reviewed-and-tested/
and here http://bit.ly/c7FLWX
enjoy

DisplayName New Member • Posts: 1
Nokia N8 sensor is 1/1.83" : What about high speed video recording ?

I think the sensor is capable enough to capture high speed video but don't know whether NOKIA have the willingness to add this feature in N8.

If it can record HD video @ 25fps , it can do VGA @ 120fps ( or 100 ). Or QVGA @ 400 fps ! It can be done with not so complicated software algorithm.

M4dde New Member • Posts: 21

I'm really impressed by the sample photos from the device but have one major concern about the device. That is the lack of a lens cover. Do you think the lens is covered by some sort of sapphire glass that makes it resistant to scratches? And how effective would you think that a solution of this kind would be?

Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Testing...

M4dde wrote:

I'm really impressed by the sample photos from the device but have one major concern about the device. That is the lack of a lens cover. Do you think the lens is covered by some sort of sapphire glass that makes it resistant to scratches? And how effective would you think that a solution of this kind would be?

I suggest you take a look at this to answer that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7991777.stm

Yes we use scratch resistant glass on those lens covers.

br

D

Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,025
Re: Testing...

Reassuring QA! I see some here call for optical zoom lenses in these tiny phones. I guess that is as inevitable as 24 MP sensors, but I would frankly prefer a lens that is actually good rather than compromised to offer lots of zoom or ultra wide angle.

Unfortunately, as we've seen in the compact camera market, consumers care more about the numbers than quality, so there's a real risk that N8 is the best camera phone to be produced the next decade or so

Re: Nokia N8 12-Megapixel Camera First Review

The only review that I know of is by Eldar Murtazin ,a ex-Nokia employee who got fired, of a early pre-production version. Hardly a truthful review worth basing any weight on. But even then his main problem was that the phone was on par with other touch phones but nothing revolutionary, which isn't exactly harsh criticism

udi4444 wrote:

from the reviews on the net so far, the N8 doesn't look like the best smart phone out there, but the camera looks VERY VERY promising ...

you can check out the reviews here: http://noknok.tv/2010/04/27/nokia-n8-12-megapixel-camera-reviewed-and-tested/
and here http://bit.ly/c7FLWX
enjoy

Oleg Ivanovskiy Forum Member • Posts: 54

IQ is not bad, but all we have are low-ISO samples with good lightning. Any p/s can do the same, even $99 General Electric, which - by the way - also has cameras with 1/1.8 sensors - still very crappy. Sensor size alone means nothing. You also need good optics with precise and fast AF motor and powerful processor - like Canon Digic to do things right. Samples say nothing special - no high-ISO samples, no samples of flash work, no moving objects. Any p/s can make a nice photo of a static scene in bright sunlight, even $99 ones.

Sure, but few manufacturers show hi-iso samples form pre-production cameras. We'll have to wait and see. As for optics, Daimian claimed a theoretical output resolution is close to 12mp. The processor power should be more than adequate considering that the phone's running a ARM A8 chip whit a decent GPU.

Nigejk New Member • Posts: 1

As a consumer who loves to carry a decent P&S camera around, wants a good phone but also likes to travel light this camera phone really made me situp and take note.

I have never really felt the image quality and operation of camera phones came close enough to a dedicated P&S to replace it but this looks as though it may. The lag of many camera phones is something that I have felt really hampered them - reading this thread it seems to suggest that this may overcome that.

I have been surprised in the past that a real quality camera phone has not been put together as they share so much in common. It seems that in the atempt to get a device to appeal to as big a market as possible every conceivable feature is crammed in, usually meaning that none of the features are as good as they could be.

I also find the miniature tripod pretty handy at times on my P&S and had wondered why the attachment thread has never been incorporated into camera phones. Forgotten, manufacturing complexity or just not deemed necessary?

Damian D Contributing Member • Posts: 893

I completely agree that response times are very important. Whilst we've made improvements, especially in AF lag, which is around 0.5 seconds (sometimes less), we would still like to improve the camera activation and shot to shot performance. We're doing everything possible to ensure these are competitive, I think we'll be at the level where you feel it's 'OK' (depending on high your expectation bar is set) but we may not set any records in these two measures. But let's see what happens as we continue to refine the performance...

Nigejk wrote:

As a consumer who loves to carry a decent P&S camera around, wants a good phone but also likes to travel light this camera phone really made me situp and take note.

I have never really felt the image quality and operation of camera phones came close enough to a dedicated P&S to replace it but this looks as though it may. The lag of many camera phones is something that I have felt really hampered them - reading this thread it seems to suggest that this may overcome that.

I have been surprised in the past that a real quality camera phone has not been put together as they share so much in common. It seems that in the atempt to get a device to appeal to as big a market as possible every conceivable feature is crammed in, usually meaning that none of the features are as good as they could be.

I also find the miniature tripod pretty handy at times on my P&S and had wondered why the attachment thread has never been incorporated into camera phones. Forgotten, manufacturing complexity or just not deemed necessary?

photosites New Member • Posts: 4
Lens Cover

I guess apart from scratches, lens cover prevents smudges resulted from finger prints, facial oil, oily table tops, etc. Without a lens cover, one would literally need to clean the lens before every shot. Even with the lens cover on my C901, I still have a Lenspen mobile attached to my phone and I will still need to clean it occasionally.

You may have the best sensor with the best lenses but I can very surely tell you that a little bit of smudging will ruin the best photos. Most mobile camera lenses are smudged most of the time. What is the point of the lens being able to resolve 12mpx when its performance is degraded by smudges all the time?

So if I can make a suggestion for this phone, I would strongly suggest adding a lens cover - either via an external attachment, casing (hard or soft) or through some small modifications to the chassis.

Re: Lens Cover

I'd say the only way now is with a external cover, as I'd be very surprised if Nokia changed the design so close to launch. I think most will use some sort of sleeve on it anyway considering the size of the screen, shouldn't that help some already?

photosites wrote:

I guess apart from scratches, lens cover prevents smudges resulted from finger prints, facial oil, oily table tops, etc. Without a lens cover, one would literally need to clean the lens before every shot. Even with the lens cover on my C901, I still have a Lenspen mobile attached to my phone and I will still need to clean it occasionally.

You may have the best sensor with the best lenses but I can very surely tell you that a little bit of smudging will ruin the best photos. Most mobile camera lenses are smudged most of the time. What is the point of the lens being able to resolve 12mpx when its performance is degraded by smudges all the time?

So if I can make a suggestion for this phone, I would strongly suggest adding a lens cover - either via an external attachment, casing (hard or soft) or through some small modifications to the chassis.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads