Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

Started Apr 20, 2010 | Discussions
voider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,017
Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

Hi,

I always found my 85 1.4 way too cold looking. With the right light (early morning or late evening) it was good. But in shades or with artificial light it was always way too cold for me and I had to edit it afterwards.

The Nikon A2 warming filter just adds the right look IMO.

Yes, this can be done easily in PP. But I like to make a shot as close to the look I want before editing.

This shot is not post processed yet. Picture Control: Portrait and AWB, F1.4

Here is the shot, which I edited in 5 minutes

Unfortunatly I had no time to shoot the picture without the filter to show the difference. But 85 1.4 owners should see the difference immediatly.

I love my "new" 85 1.4. The A2 filter will stay on it.

Cheers,
Timur

-- hide signature --
 voider's gear list:voider's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +8 more
sting Veteran Member • Posts: 4,970
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

voider wrote:

Yes, this can be done easily in PP. But I like to make a shot as close to the look I want before editing.

While I agree that the results of a warming filter are pleasing, you are better off taking a picture of a white balance card with the filter mounted and storing that as a white balance preset. Any filter that reduces light transmission will affect your focusing and reduce your shutter speed/beg for high ISO and thus increase noise.

tundracamper Senior Member • Posts: 1,818
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

To me, the D2XModeI picture control preset does the same thing in-camera, without the need for the extra hardware.

cajuncc Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

You know if you hold the WB button and turn the sub-command dial, you can shift the white balance toward Amber or Blue to get a similar effect without using a filter?

Seems to me the camera would try to compensate for the filter in auto white balance anyway...

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

You can do this using the white balance on the camera, and if you shoot RAW and tweak later you have much finer control over the results.

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
BrianHalcYoN Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

Good on ya. IWhile many reply that it can be done in post, why spend the cycles of PC time and tweaking EVERY shot when a simple filter can give you the image as you see it. I have a few warming filters I found in a box of old 35mm camera gear a friend gave me, Hoyas in fact. I need to slap them on the 30/1.4 sigma as it too is a "cool" lens.

Thanks for the motivation.
--
Taking pictures of what I want to...
http://www.photobriangray.com/

 BrianHalcYoN's gear list:BrianHalcYoN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +7 more
Windancer
Windancer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,575
Also

sting wrote:

Any filter that reduces light transmission will affect your focusing and reduce your shutter speed/beg for high ISO and thus increase noise.

Also adds another air/glass surface to diffract light.

Terry
--
Graham Fine Art Photography
http://grahter.sasktelwebsite.net
http://gallery.reginaphotoclub.com/TGraham
Photography on the North American prairies & plains:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PrairiePhoto/

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

 Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +21 more
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

BrianHalcYoN wrote:

Good on ya. IWhile many reply that it can be done in post, why spend the cycles of PC time and tweaking EVERY shot when a simple filter can give you the image as you see it.

I spend about 20 secs on each shot I want to print or post. Moving the WB slider will increase that to about 23 seconds! If I had a warming filter on the lens it would mean tweaking WB more often than not. If I did want to warm every shot I'd tweak the WB in camera rather than add a filter.

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
BrianHalcYoN Contributing Member • Posts: 560
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

slimandy wrote:

I spend about 20 secs on each shot I want to print or post. Moving the WB slider will increase that to about 23 seconds! If I had a warming filter on the lens it would mean tweaking WB more often than not. If I did want to warm every shot I'd tweak the WB in camera rather than add a filter.

That is all well and good, but if you're swapping lens, you may not want to tweak the camera's settings. If a filter can simplify your life, why not? If he can increase the perceived value of his lens, let him. A few of the posts seemed almost condescending that he would not just post in the warmth. Maybe I misconstrued.

It's cool.
--
Taking pictures of what I want to...
http://www.photobriangray.com/

 BrianHalcYoN's gear list:BrianHalcYoN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +7 more
OP voider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,017
Re: Highly recommended: Nikon 85 1.4 + Nikon A2 warming filter

Hi Brian,

that is exactly my point. When I am swapping lenses fast, I don't want to adjust white balance. I am using anyway filters to protect the lens and so I use for the 85 1.4 just the warming filter.

I do like the output with the warming filter a lot. So this is how this gonna stay...unless there are too many situations were it is not what I want. But so far it was perfect with the A2

BrianHalcYoN wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I spend about 20 secs on each shot I want to print or post. Moving the WB slider will increase that to about 23 seconds! If I had a warming filter on the lens it would mean tweaking WB more often than not. If I did want to warm every shot I'd tweak the WB in camera rather than add a filter.

That is all well and good, but if you're swapping lens, you may not want to tweak the camera's settings. If a filter can simplify your life, why not? If he can increase the perceived value of his lens, let him. A few of the posts seemed almost condescending that he would not just post in the warmth. Maybe I misconstrued.

It's cool.
--
Taking pictures of what I want to...
http://www.photobriangray.com/

-- hide signature --
 voider's gear list:voider's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads