Practical, Real Life w/ the HX5v

Started Apr 20, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jumpmonger23 New Member • Posts: 4
Practical, Real Life w/ the HX5v

I was on the fence for a while with the HX5v. I think the best way to describe the camera is that it's a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of camera. But in real life, it actually handles quite well. I'll use 3 images to illustrate my point.

Yesterday, I went for a walk with my dog. A casual sort of walk - the kind of routine walk that doesn't have you thinking "I'm going to bring my DSLR". I tossed the HX5v in my pocket and we were rolling.

I stop to shoot a sweep panorama. Most other cams don't grab this shot in the 2-3 seconds it took to make this. You'd get higher IQ with a DSLR or perhaps a S90/LX3, but you'd spend at least a couple minutes shooting with the right exposure (or bracketing), and then another 10-15 minutes on the comp stitching it together. Do you get this shot with a Pano ZS7/TZ10? Straight out of the camera here:

I see some geese about 20-30 yards offshore, and zoom in for a closer look. Seems that one of them is sporting a dixie cup as a scarf. The S90/LX3/(or other high IQ compact) don't get this shot due to too short of a zoom range. Sure, there's noise or smearing, but the point is, you actually see a subject instead a few dots in a sea of pixels. I cropped into this picture:

Then I'm turning the corner to the east, where the sun is rising, and am facing a scene with a huge dynamic range. Shooting in HDR mode, I spend a total of about 10 seconds including the power on/off of the camera to shoot this. There's some lens flare from the shooting angle, but that's easily addressed. You can achieve HDR using other methods, but few currently do this in camera. It's something you usually have to do afterwards on the computer - but imagine this scene, with the wind blowing, trees moving. Wouldn't that be a pain to combine the images later on? It's not a spectacular shot but it illustrates my point:

So, can you find cameras with a higher IQ? Certainly. If you want to pixel peep, I'm afraid that there's likely no camera currently out there that'll satisfy you. Above, you can see the practical uses of the HX5 - you could find individual cameras that could take each of the shots above separately with better quality, but probably very very few cameras that could take ALL of the shots above in a span of literally minutes (including the time it took to "post process", which in this case was virtually none). I'm sure the case for the HX5 would grow even more compelling if I had any examples of HHT in this sequence, but alas, that'll have to wait for another post.

DavePlugh Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
Re: Practical, Real Life w/ the HX5v

Very nicely done. And your right. There's no such thing as a perfect camera. There are far, far better cameras out there. But obtaining one is invesrly proportional to the amount of money in your wallet.

Dave

DavePlugh's gear list:DavePlugh's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Proparoo Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

Yes, I too say "Very well done"

As a semi pro photographer, I have a Nikon D700, D300, and everything else I could want (2.8, 1.4, ) in the area of pro glass.

I wanted a P&S after my wife got mad at me for not bringing my DSLR with me everywhere I went and missing some shots of the kids.

That's when I went out to get "The Best" p&S I could get, and after much searching I got a Canon G11.. After using it for 2 weeks I realised it was way too big, not at all that good at low light / High ISO shooting, really bad red eye, and overall it was just an OK camera.

That's when I said I would just look for a compact camera with lots of features and a super zoom. I think that the Sony HX5V....

You put it well, nothing except my D700 and my 24-70 or 70-200 will take really great photos, so I might as well just get something that's small and easy.

Enjoy...
--
Rich
http://www.richbaum.smugmug.com

T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,431
Excellent Selling Points...

There are some people on this forum that makes those who actually own the HX5V feel like dirt. This bashing is unreal, very unpleasant and forces us to want to defend soemthing we really don't need to defend. I can see if one actually owns the HX5 and getting lousy results and needs help, but all in all, this camera is standing up and providing really nice results.

I am happy with mine and it is providing me with beautiful pictures every day, and the more that I use it the more I learn and the problems that do come up, I am learning to overcome those.

Your HDR is a perfect example of how you spotted the right time to use that feature, and the pano mode adds another dimension to your photography that you don't have to think about... you just do it within a couple of seconds and you have a decent pano!

I feel we need to turn this forum around and begin taking pictures, sharing, and talking about how to improve composition, etc.

I gave up my HX1 last week to my wife and she has taken it on a couple of outings and have come back with some really incredible pictures. With the HX1, she is taken better pictures than me!!! She had a W Series for years now and have gotten good results with that, but now she wanted something a cut above the rest. I am sure with the HX5 she could probably make it sing, too.

In a couple of weeks or so, I will be giving up my a300 to my son in NYC. He is an artist and is in need of a DSLR. I am giving up something that I love and have gotten a lot of good use from, but I know he will do better with it and will use it to earn income.

I have two Casios that I will be giving up, too, and will solely have the HX5 and my android 5mp camera, as well as the occasional use of the HX1 if the urge arises!

I will revisit the DSLR path in a couple of years, when I can focus on acquiring the right lense that would give me the results that I want. I know my HX5 won't get me the professional bird shots that DSLR cameras with the proper lense can offer, but like your dixie cup duck shot, I can at least get some of those! I did go to the duck pond last week with the HX5 and was very impressed with the quality.

Thanks for posting and thanks for reading. People, please, just chill out... if you don't own the camera back off. Just feel good enough about yourself that you know so much about IQ and the perfect camera that you actually own such a beast and you can live the rest of your life without upgrading your gear because no matter what new camera comes out, yours is much much better.

Those of us who do buy a current model are not ignorant; we recognize the issues and problems but the greatest gift is that we can come to this forum to teach each other how to overcome those issues and problems. No matter what, there will always be a sacrifice and despite what some of you lead us to believe, we are not victims... instead, we are photographers who work with what we got to get you the pictures we take. Appreciate it. If you have talent and can help us take better pictures, in ways of composition or by a manual or different setting, then please share.

Bless all of those that care to share in a positive way.

-- hide signature --

HX1 User Group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596585274&ref=name#/group.php?gid=101987207312

http://spiritualu.shutterfly.com/

Proud owner of Sony HX-1
a300 & 18-70mm and 75-300mm lens
Casio Z75 & Z1000
HTC Touch Pro 3mp Cell Phone

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453
you da man

your little story with the pictures confirms what I wrote on my HX5 blog even before she hit the shelfs.
The HX5 is the swiss army knife of the pocket zooms.
You are prepared for nearly everything you encounter to capture.

thanks 4 sharing

-- hide signature --
cboy7 Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: you da man

great post . you nailed it... thats what this cam exels at .. capturing the moment... photo or video... its a great way to simplify in this increasingly complex world.

hd video and camera in one? fits in your pocket? 10 x zoom ? yep I like it.

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582
Re: Excellent Selling Points...

T. L. Rutter wrote:

There are some people on this forum that makes those who actually own the HX5V feel like dirt. This bashing is unreal, very unpleasant and forces us to want to defend soemthing we really don't need to defend. I can see if one actually owns the HX5 and getting lousy results and needs help, but all in all, this camera is standing up and providing really nice results.

I think you've got bigger problems than IQ if you take personal offense with someone's critique of an electronic device that you did not design nor build. There are those who expect to much from these cams indeed. However, there are just as many if not more who engage in "purchase justification" and refuse to find fault in something they already paid for. Both parties are detrimental to any sort of valuable discussion.

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582

I don't mean this to offend but I don't believe the latter 2 images are going to do anything to make your point. Forget pixel peeping. At their default size, they look pretty bad. I say this someone who really likes the HX5V and is satisfied with the IQ for the class. I am just saying if you are trying to make a point to the "haters", they probably aren't the best choice. If I saw the latter 2 and never saw any other pics, I'd probably go buy a $100 Casio.

Imagine that!

Bingo! Your point is well made, and that is the fun thing about these forums. People pick on the IQ of the camera and not the iQ of the person taking the picture and people miss out on a lot...

If I listen to those on this forum that bash the HX5 I would be missing out on so much. In fact, what really sold me on the HX5 was what I thought was horrible, horrible pictures from a post like this. I downloaded, cropped, and tweaked a bit and then printed them out and WOWEEEE!!!!! That's when I bought the camera!!! The HX5 haters almost had me convinced that this was a dud! In fact, I still have the pictures at the office and I have had several people comment on how awesome the pictures are and I would have to explain they aren't mine!

So listen up everybody, ACH3rOn has a valid point, you may think a picture sucks, but download it, tweak it and then print it out! You have to let go of EGO and let go of thinking you are the perfect photographer and you know what IQ is and that the original poster doesn't know anything about IQ.... just because the OP doesn't say it, doesn't mean he/she isn't aware.

And folks, give us a break... we just got the camera!!!! We're still learning, but we can still crank out saw really nice pics. Honestly.

Ach3r0n wrote:

I don't mean this to offend but I don't believe the latter 2 images are going to do anything to make your point. Forget pixel peeping. At their default size, they look pretty bad. I say this someone who really likes the HX5V and is satisfied with the IQ for the class. I am just saying if you are trying to make a point to the "haters", they probably aren't the best choice. If I saw the latter 2 and never saw any other pics, I'd probably go buy a $100 Casio.

-- hide signature --

HX1 User Group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596585274&ref=name#/group.php?gid=101987207312

Proud owner of Sony HX-1
Casio Z75 & Z1000

Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Molan Contributing Member • Posts: 976

The OP didn't say it was good IQ, but showed how you can take pictures you can't take if:

1. dSLR or SuperZoom is a home

2. Your superior IQ P&S, don't have panorama mode and you are not, really that interested in spending the time making it
3. You have to shoot a backlit image because of the circumstances

So, you say " I am just saying if you are trying to make a point to the "haters", they probably aren't the best choice. If I saw the latter 2 and never saw any other pics, I'd probably go buy a $100 Casio."...really, the shown picture shows just fine the point the OP's was making, IMO.

Molan's gear list:Molan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +14 more
jumpmonger23 OP New Member • Posts: 4

Ach3r0n wrote:

No offense taken at all! For the 2nd shot with the birds, I probably should have prefaced more. The shot is at full 10x zoom, and then I cropped out probably at least 60% of the pixels. The birds were far enough off shore that to the naked eye, you could barely make out that there were something trailing the big ones, which of course turned out to be the rest of the family.

At this level of crop, the fine details are definitely smeared or gone - but my point is, there's something there, that you can see. I think any camera with less than a 10x zoom and 10mp doesn't give you much of anything in this circumstance.

John NA87 Senior Member • Posts: 1,643

Very well spoken. The very highest iQ is always provided by the camera that you have with you, not the one that's on the shelf or on someone else's web page.

I agonized and pixel peeped for weeks between numerous brands and categories and eventually realized that what I wanted was a FUN pocket cam with some FUN features that also just happened to take some decent photos. And since it will be in my pocket most of the time, I am absolutely positive that it will generate the very 'best of class' photos for my needs, versus the superior cameras that would not be with me most of the time.

As I type this, I am suffering the painful initial battery charge of my own HX5V which was delivered at work about 20 minutes ago. It's lunch time, and I want to go out and play with it!

DGJones10 Forum Member • Posts: 92

Check the battery again.

Mine came fully charged as also did the additional battery I got from Amazon

The indicator is fully white when full.

Northernlanes Forum Member • Posts: 90

I agree with T.L.Rutter, the HV5v is a great tool for taking photos, what convinced me to buy it was the 1920x1080 video which turned out to be superb .. better than any other P&S camera footage I've seen, and no matter how good other camera footage in 720p appears it is simply not as detailed as the HX5v, also the optical antishake is superbly effective and the video in lowlight is not as bad as some of the detractors may have you believe, infact in my tests it is pretty good compared to other cameras. Other excellent features are the easy to use Panoramo feature, yes the pixel count is not the highest (when compared to 'stitching' stills) but is still great as an additional feature few other cameras have and is very quick and easy to use. The Hand Held Twilight is awesome as well - you can be in a virtually dark room and have bright pictures, when you first use it its hard to believe!

Face detection & smile detection are other little treats that the camera throws our way .. maybe they won't take better pictures for us but they're handy 'extras' to have. Another great feature is the 10x 'optical' zoom and the wideangle 25mm lens .. it is great to be able to get those wideangled shots that have previously eluded me with other P&S cameras .. and I can still get up close with the 10x zoom.

For me slight disappointments are the windnoise from the mic's, obviously its an outdoor thing but can be mostly cured with a homemade windsock - a small stickon piece of fur, and the photo quality is not quite as good as other top of the range point and shoots but still pretty good.

The camera does have one or two failings but overall has many more good features that many other cameras don't have, and despite the what one or two others have said I've found the gps to be very sensitive and accurate, it very rarely loses its fix for me, and quickly gets a fix from cold.

There seems to be a couple of people on this forum who constantly chirp in with negative comments, I don't even think they own a HX5v in some cases .. maybe they're doing the same on other camera forums. Their logic seems to be this .. they see what they think is a bad photo posted on here, then take great joy in criticising it and using it to rubbish the camera .. how about posting your own shots and maybe being more positive about others !

Frank B Veteran Member • Posts: 5,410

An excellent post and lovely images. I totally agree with you.

I have an Olympus E-3 which I have not used since Sept 2008 , when I bought my Panasonic LX3. It was just so much more convenient to use my LX3. However, the LX3 was not long enough (understandable with its f2/2.8 lens and larger than average CCD for a compact)) .

I bought the Sony HX5 to supplement my LX3 in the telephoto range and for action shots with the telephoto and 10 fps.. What I am finding is that being able to get shots in the 25mm to 250mm range , the 10fps capability, a usable manual mode and decent low light capability with HH Twilight Mode has resulted in my not feeling I need to carry my LX3. Except for the occasional 8x10 print all my pictures are displayed on the internet at a maximum of 860 pixels. I process all my images in Lightroom and Photoshop and when I'm done and the picture is downsized to 860 pixels it is very difficult to see any differences .

I think the HX5 does an excellent job of capturing detail for my internet photos and I don't feel deprived as a result of using this "Jack of all trades", as you so aptly characterized the HX5. Here are a three examples.

Thanks gain for your excellent and thoughtful post.

-- hide signature --
 Frank B's gear list:Frank B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +7 more
This is too late for you... but... future reference..

1 - Congrats on the HX5

2 - You'll be pleasantly surprised that the first 10 minutes when you put the battery on the charger, it goes into a supercharge mode... this typically gives you enough juice to do about 8-10 minutes of video or to take a few dozen pictures.

3 - Lithium-ion batteries... you don't have to wait for it to be fully charged... but when I got my HX5 I went ahead and did a full charge.

Enjoy your camera!

John NA87 wrote:

Very well spoken. The very highest iQ is always provided by the camera that you have with you, not the one that's on the shelf or on someone else's web page.

I agonized and pixel peeped for weeks between numerous brands and categories and eventually realized that what I wanted was a FUN pocket cam with some FUN features that also just happened to take some decent photos. And since it will be in my pocket most of the time, I am absolutely positive that it will generate the very 'best of class' photos for my needs, versus the superior cameras that would not be with me most of the time.

As I type this, I am suffering the painful initial battery charge of my own HX5V which was delivered at work about 20 minutes ago. It's lunch time, and I want to go out and play with it!

-- hide signature --

Proud owner of Sony HX-1
Casio Z75 & Z1000

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,583
Ach3r0n Re the duck picture ...

Ach3r0n wrote:

Consider the duck picture. If shot with the excellent LX3, it would have be cropped 4X to equal the HX5 frame. (60mm vs 250mm) You would have 1/16 as many pixels. Those LX3 pixels better be real good . Like many have said, each camera has its strengths. In this case of the duck picture, the HX5V beats the LX3.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +4 more
dannier Forum Member • Posts: 54

the pics are awesome ,which lens you use ?

Compact Fan Forum Member • Posts: 74

I take a lot of panorama photo's with groups of people, for example indoors at parties.

Because of the instant review I know when to retake a shot. Classical panorama mode is not as suited for this.

sparkle1103
sparkle1103 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,654

That photo is so cute with the goslings. Mom is leaving 2 behind and what is that thing on the 2nd adult gooses neck?

Janice
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads