HX6V - what would you like to have changed

Started Apr 17, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453
HX6V - what would you like to have changed

Let´s imagine you could talk to a Sony engineer who is now working on the HX5 successor.
What would you tell him to change and what should be left unchanged.

How would YOUR HX6V look?

-- hide signature --
kage Senior Member • Posts: 1,480
Re: HX6V - what would you like to have changed

I'm actually pretty happy with mine.

What I would LOVE for them to add (and really, I would like them to add this via firmware update to the current model HX5V) is:

• User definable Saturation, Sharpness, Contrast, Noise Reduction, and Color Modes (I really feel that they went way too far in the opposite direction with the HX/WX cameras).

• The ability to have a single setting carry across to the other modes (example setting EV in P, would carry across to the other modes, without having to set it for each one). Either that or the ability to have each one remember the settings (rather than resetting as soon as you leave the mode on all modes except P).

• manual focus

Some stuff that would be nice, though probably not implementable via firmware update (so probably only an option for the next iteration):

• increased resolution on the panorama modes

• full 1080 P support

• faster lens

• higher resolution LCD

• a few more physical buttons for things (ISO comes to mind)... a few less for certain things (like.. I really DON'T need a button for smile shutter!)

• k

kage's gear list:kage's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II +35 more
Dan Kramer Regular Member • Posts: 398

I just got my HX5V today, have taken a few test shots & videos, and I like it.

What would I wish for? The same IQ I get from my Rebel xsi with the 17-40f4L & the 70-200f4L while combining the zoom ranges of the two, as well as the battery life of my xsi.
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the Sony!

-- hide signature --

Equipment in Profile

Oh yes... one more thing to add to the first group (ie: things I wish they would fix via firmware):

• I wish that the HX5V would remember what setting you were last on, when you left a given mode. For example if I was adjusting the ISO in P mode, and then switch over to HHT, when I go back to P mode I want it to be on ISO settings, rather than start ALL the way at the top of the menu and have to scroll down to re-select the ISO settings. (In Japan, this caused me to accidentally lower the image resolution in a couple of instances where I was in a rush to capture a shot... THAT was annoying!).

• k

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II +35 more
Compact Fan Forum Member • Posts: 74

I'd wish to have it remember more settings.

And if I make a setting manually, it could appear in bright orange. My Ricoh does this - it is immediately clear that you've adjusted a setting.

mark30pwr Contributing Member • Posts: 859

Great thread; I hope Sony listens. My 'top ten' wish list:

1) Better image quality. By this I mean more detail and more sharpness in the images.

2) High Dynamic Range to be an automatic feature in "intelligent auto" mode.

4) Barrel distortion in video mode to be gone.

5) Better low light video performance.

6) Microphones relocated to where you're finger doesn't natually sit. Also add a windscreen to the mircorphones.

7) Supply an infolithium batter with the camera.

8) Option to set (throttle down) flash output to low power.

9) Option to select image quality (standard or fine).

10) Smaller dimensions and lighter.

11) Longer battery life.

12) More optical zoom with a brighter, sharper lens.

13) Better auto white balance under fluorescent lighting.

14) Fewer selections on the mode dial (HHT, HDR can be moved to scene mode).

Basically what I want is the Sony P200 camera with better dynamic range, more zoom, panorama mode, smile shutter and better video ability.

Features I current like in the HX5 include: 720p movie mode, panorama mode, smart zoom, smile shutter, manual white balance option, tripod mount, plus the colours are good for the most part.

mark30pwr's gear list:mark30pwr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV

mark30pwr wrote:

Great thread; I hope Sony listens. My 'top ten' wish list:

2) High Dynamic Range to be an automatic feature in "intelligent auto" mode.

It does this already, I've seen. Maybe only in the plus-mode that can take two pictures automatically?

bricar01 Regular Member • Posts: 331

Kage's recommendations to make the various settings sticky, global, and a little more customizable would make me very happy - and I would think that they could be accomplished via a firmware update.

Auto white balance indoors is challlenged, that should be fixable as well. With the wide range of new light bulb color temperatures available at the local hardware store, I'm thinking this will only get worse for most camera. The mini lfuorescent tunes we have in our kitchen cause problems for all cameras.

I don't expect the barrel distortion in video to ever be corrected. At 60 or even 30 fps, I seriously doubt that the processor can software correct that much information. I suggest either zoom in a little, or get a bulkier, probably dedicated video camera where the lens is engineered to correct the distortion.

-- hide signature --
T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,431

For me, I would like to see this camera have a tilting screen, an audio line-in for video recording, and wind reduction.

Beyond that, 14 or 20mp sensor and 14x optical lense within the same body.

-- hide signature --

HX1 User Group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596585274&ref=name#/group.php?gid=101987207312

http://spiritualu.shutterfly.com/

Proud owner of Sony HX-1
a300 & 18-70mm and 75-300mm lens
Casio Z75 & Z1000
HTC Touch Pro 3mp Cell Phone

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 22,052

T. L. Rutter wrote:

sure and this will give top image quality.
--
All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 +37 more

I'd like to see the scene mode/dial setting in the Exif data. I didn't notice it if it is there.

Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

Build in a microwave oven and a hotdog heater!

Compact Fan wrote:

I'd like to see the scene mode/dial setting in the Exif data. I didn't notice it if it is there.

Oh yes, I second that. That WOULD be very helpful (especially for sharing techniques and tips).

• k

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582

mark30pwr wrote:

7) Supply an infolithium batter with the camera.

Remaining battery life isn't displayed on screen? Really??

T. L. Rutter wrote:

Are you joking? I can't even imagine how bad the IQ would be at 20MP and even at 14MP you're going to degrade the IQ at this sensor size.

mark30pwr Contributing Member • Posts: 859

It's sad but true. My previous Sony caneras all came with InfoLithium batteries, which I liked. The HX5 comes standard with a 'dumb' battery; InfoLithium batteries are available for purchase separately.

mark30pwr's gear list:mark30pwr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV

mark30pwr wrote:

It's sad but true. My previous Sony caneras all came with InfoLithium batteries, which I liked. The HX5 comes standard with a 'dumb' battery; InfoLithium batteries are available for purchase separately.

That is sad and I would put that on my wishlist also. My Panasonic camcorder tells me how many minutes left and it is quite accurate. I've been spoiled by it.

Luckily th eimitation battery I git for $4,75 including shipping does show the time remaining. Sad thing is it is not available any more from that seller on ebay.

chupame OP Regular Member • Posts: 453

so you are all happy with the screen? no one wants more resolution, brightness and contrast, in short a nice AMOLED like Samsung has since a year?

and a tilting screen in not such a wierd idea, Kodak had it already 5 years ago and the camera was not thicker than the hx5, so it is possible.

... she was not different in size (103 x 63 x 26 mm (4.1 x 2.5 x 1 in)) but man, what a concept, even wifi was thought of for transfering pictures. Now use the full flip out size with a AMOLED touch screen and we are talking innovation here
--
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

chupame OP Regular Member • Posts: 453

Compact Fan wrote:

Luckily th eimitation battery I git for $4,75 including shipping does show the time remaining. Sad thing is it is not available any more from that seller on ebay.

I beg to differ, did you searched for it?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Battery+For+SONY+Camera+CyberShot+NPBG1+NP-BG1+BG1+FG1

how much more do you need for that price?
--
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads