Opened my HX5v - Any requests?

Started Apr 11, 2010 | Discussions
lazlo2003 New Member • Posts: 18
Opened my HX5v - Any requests?

Hello to everyone on the Sony Forum!

I've been reading everyone's posts about the HX5v since the camera was announced and want to say thank you for all your opinions, technical explanations and user samples. After weeks of "research" I purchased the HX5v today and just opened it this evening. This camera will hopefully replace my Panasonic TZ5.

I would like to offer to take sample pictures for others on this forum that might be contemplating a Sony purchase. If you have a special condition you would like "tested" with the HX5v (within reason---I'm not a professional), please let me know and I will try to take them for you. I may not have access to the exact conditions you want but I will do my best! I can also take a comparative shot with the Panny.

Again, thank you for everyone's help. I am hopeful that this camera will be the right one for me.

Fooo New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Opened my HX5v - Any requests?

Since this is a newer camera, can you try filming a verticle service in video mode and cature a single frame vs a normal icture of a verticle surface? ut the verticle surface near the edge (like a light pole, a wall, etc).

JUst curious if they are doing anything about the barrel distortion in video mode.

SOrry for the lack of p's. My keyboard is ass.

E R A 2 0 0 0
E R A 2 0 0 0 Contributing Member • Posts: 718

Thank you!
I'd like to see the telephoto max-out! Long shots please.
--
E R A
Light is everything : )
http://www.pbase.com/era2000

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582

Congratulations on your new camera and thanks for the offer. I am on the fence between the HX5V and the ZS7 so any comparison shots are welcome but here are a few I am particularly interested in:

(1) sunset
(2) landscapes
(3) indoors, with/without flash (maybe with 1 lamp on or similar lighting)
(4) outdoors night, with/without flash

(5) Action shot ... for me it will be moving dogs and wildlife but any kind of action shot comparison would be great
(6) I am curious if full resolution is used for all scene modes

Thanks again!

stuart goldberg Junior Member • Posts: 45

Note the vertical architectural elements near the edges of this picture:

This zoomed in on Whiteleys (about .4 KM north of where I was standing)

These were taken in my office. Camera set to "smart zoom" and resolution at "VGA".

This was taken at widest angle:

This was taken at maximum zoom (57X)

Hope these comparison shots are helpful.

Stu

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,844
I thought you meant screwdriver time !

When you said opened.
I was waiting for the next offer to blend it like the iPads !
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a77 II +17 more
zchymalaga Forum Member • Posts: 96
TZ5 vs Hx5v video in low lights conditions

Hello,

I would be interesting you can share with us your opinions about both cameras in low light condition videos.

Another question, what adjustement can yo make in video mode? Can you adjust EV, brightness, or something to improve dark videos?

Thanks in advance

mark30pwr Contributing Member • Posts: 859
Does the camera blend? lol

Seatch the net for "does a [name of object] blend" videos if you're unfamiliar.

mark30pwr's gear list:mark30pwr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV
Is there barrel distortion in video mode at wide angle?

Just like the previous person, I'd like to know this. Best bet is to point the camera at a wide screen tv while in video mode at wide anle. What does the wide screen tv look like? Does it look like a rectangle (meaning Sony fixed the problem) or does it look like an oval (meaning problem not fixed)?

To compare can look at the same wide screen tv with the camera set in any still image mode. In still image mode (e.g., auto mode), there is no barrel distortion because the camera processes it away.

if you think the barrel distortion is gone, please post screen shots of videos, or the entire videos. Thanks.

Sony RX100 IV
ron2000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,208
Re: Is there barrel distortion in video mode at wide angle?

mark30pwr wrote:

Just like the previous person, I'd like to know this. Best bet is to point the camera at a wide screen tv while in video mode at wide anle. What does the wide screen tv look like? Does it look like a rectangle (meaning Sony fixed the problem) or does it look like an oval (meaning problem not fixed)?

To compare can look at the same wide screen tv with the camera set in any still image mode. In still image mode (e.g., auto mode), there is no barrel distortion because the camera processes it away.

if you think the barrel distortion is gone, please post screen shots of videos, or the entire videos. Thanks.

Did you not have enough confirmation (evidence) already?
The distortion is there, no doubt about it.

It is not a matter of individual camera, it is the same in all cameras in this model.

Take it or leave it. I am not bothered about it.

tallymom Regular Member • Posts: 121

I agree with this. I doubt Sony corrected the issue. I didn't notice it with the few videos I took before today. I just went to test it out in my living room with my big screen t.v. and it is apparent at wide angle. It does not bother me, though.

One of the members of the forum here reported that a Sony rep said that Sony has corrected the problem with the cameras they are now shipping.

I am inerested in seeing if there is a difference.

Sony RX100 IV
chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453

OK I have a request,

smash your hx5 with a baseball bat and post the video on You Tube and lets see if we can beat the Apple I (feminine product) viewer numbers.

Nah just kidding, congratz to your new toy, mine will arrive in 3 days.

If you find anything worthwhile you want to share with the world, let me know and I put it on my blog

-- hide signature --
Frank B Veteran Member • Posts: 5,410
Re: TZ5 vs Hx5v video in low lights conditions

In Movie Mode you can adjust exposure + - two f/stops.

zchymalaga wrote:

Hello,

I would be interesting you can share with us your opinions about both cameras in low light condition videos.

Another question, what adjustement can yo make in video mode? Can you adjust EV, brightness, or something to improve dark videos?

Thanks in advance

-- hide signature --
 Frank B's gear list:Frank B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +7 more
ron2000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,208

mark30pwr wrote:

One of the members of the forum here reported that a Sony rep said that Sony has corrected the problem with the cameras they are now shipping.

I am inerested in seeing if there is a difference.

Take that statement with a pinch of salt (from the rep, not the poster).

chupame

chupame: where are you bought your Hx5v? At what price?

OP lazlo2003 New Member • Posts: 18

Ok. I have taken both a still picture and a frame from a video to compare.

The photo was shot in Hand-Held Twilight mode and the video was HD 1080i

To obtain the screen grab I used the "print screen then paste in Microsoft paint" method so quality is not great, but it will show the barrel distortion. It's not awful but it's not fantastic either...

Here are some night shots I took last night. It was about 10pm and for light there was one street lamp and a few house lights. All the Sony HX5v shots were taken in HHT mode. I have included two modes from the Panny TZ5 just for comparison ("high sensitivity" - flash didn't fire and iAuto - flash fired).

Ok, this is my first attempt at an "action shot." My mother-in-law visited and brought her dog. However, the dog is very old and doesn't exactly run (more of a light trot). Nevertheless I have posted a few pictures using the "Anti-Blur" mode on the Sony HX5v. I'm not super impressed but again, I'm not the best photographer so it could be my composition. I'll try to figure out a different type of action to capture on a different day.

Super Interesting post!

FANTASTIC! MANY THANKS! IMHO quality of HHT is SUPER! Images are terrific, clear at very high ISOs, minimum grain, and it´s a small compact!. For sure next years all camera´s manufacturers copy HHT idea.

IMHO this is the most interesting post I have read about this camera!

Do you know if it´s possible activate flash with HHT mode activated?

I think "chupame" could put this thread on his Hx5v web dedicated:

http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

Another thing, how about video quality, comparision again with your tz5 ( a great challenger), specially in low light conditions, and wide angles.

Many thanks again! Super post!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads