Sony HX5V vs Panasonic TZ10 video comparisons

Started Apr 9, 2010 | Discussions
perfectsquare Forum Member • Posts: 67
Sony HX5V vs Panasonic TZ10 video comparisons

Noticed a guy on YouTube is doing side-by-side recordings with the HX5V and TZ10/ZS7 in varying conditions, and posting them as split-screen videos. Thought I'd share the link as it's quite nicely done:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikesmultimedia

Does a good job exposing the relative strengths and weaknesses of each camera's movie mode.

Compact Fan Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Sony HX5V vs Panasonic TZ10 video comparisons

The Sony seems darker. Maybe Sony only does this in the dark only, exactly like HHT mode is darker than AMB mode? In any case it is a pity the test was not run with some EV to compensate.

I think the Sony zooms back in a bit after zooming out, which is ugly. The TZ10 does not.

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582

I saw this and it's swayed me back to the ZS7 despite nearly purchasing the HX5V the other night. While the Panasonic's blooming is a concern, the Sony's video just looks terrible period. It is dark and washed out and simply unpleasant to look at.

NavinRJohnson Forum Member • Posts: 89

Very surprising. Makes me have second thoughts about my HX5. However, HHT, better stabilization and its slightly-thinner case would be sorely missed.

chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453

did anybody of you guys actually look at the videos?
the panasonic is better and the sony is too dark?

the sony meters much better and captures the full spectrum while the panasonic constantly has problems with bright spots (flaring, striping) and mostly overexposes.

you can easy fix a video what is a bit too dark, but you can not fix blown out highlights or blown out buildings.

original size screen captures at my blog

at one beginning twilight video when the sun is setting and the color change slowly to red the video from the panasonic shows a overly blue sky and a overly blue building, while the sony shows a normal blue sky and a building what reflects the evening sun and therefore is more reddish than bluish.

gimme a break, and use your eyes and your brain before you post
--
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

tallymom Regular Member • Posts: 121

Thank you!

KingFatty Regular Member • Posts: 182

What are you talking about, the ZS7 has that new feature where you can erase entire buildings!

But seriously, I guess the two cameras use different styles of metering when the scene has high dynamic range? Maybe the ZS7 is trying to guess at what the typical viewer would want to be exposed at the cost of blowing out some things, rather than trying to capture everything at the cost of making everything too dark as in the Sony?

You watched those and you find the Sony's video preferable? How do you propose you "fix" the missing details? You can't. I don't expect miracles from a pocket cam nor do I need them as I have a nice high-end consumer cam. Those Sony videos are simply unusable though. If you can fix them, then please do so and educate us because they look unsalvageable to me. I agree that the blooming is an issue with the Panasonic but as big of a problem as that is, that Sony video just looks awful in general and even an earthquake-proof IS wouldn't convince me otherwise looking at it as it stands.

maharajh New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Too Much Too Little

Thanks. That guy did a great comparison. Panasonic way oversharpens the video; halos everywhere; blown out highlights. Sony way undersharpens the video; has a low contrast; appears underexposed. Fortunately you can fix the Sony video; unfortunately nothing you can do about the Panasonic's.

Here are some other allegedly untouched Sony HX5V videos.

http://vimeo.com/thewarmland/videos

Now my question is, why do these look as if they were shot with an entirely different camera? The blacks are black, the shroud of darkness is gone, etc. We can see the barrel distortion but we knew about that already. They aren't perfect but unlike the other videos, these are more than acceptable imho.

DanK♂ FP6900 Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: Sony HX5V low light video blows

So, I thought it was a bad camera he was using in his tests, then I tried it myself and I can confirm that HX5V is not exactly mind blowing for low light videos. Personally, I will not be using it for that purpose, but kinda disappointing anyway.

BurgerKingFatty wrote:

What are you talking about, the ZS7 has that new feature where you can erase entire buildings!

that must be a great relieve for the 9/11 people now

But seriously, I guess the two cameras use different styles of metering when the scene has high dynamic range? Maybe the ZS7 is trying to guess at what the typical viewer would want to be exposed at the cost of blowing out some things, rather than trying to capture everything at the cost of making everything too dark as in the Sony?

complete buildings and the sky are not some things that is major in my book

-- hide signature --

Ach3r0n wrote:

You watched those and you find the Sony's video preferable? How do you propose you "fix" the missing details? You can't. I don't expect miracles from a pocket cam nor do I need them as I have a nice high-end consumer cam. Those Sony videos are simply unusable though. If you can fix them, then please do so and educate us because they look unsalvageable to me. I agree that the blooming is an issue with the Panasonic but as big of a problem as that is, that Sony video just looks awful in general and even an earthquake-proof IS wouldn't convince me otherwise looking at it as it stands.

educated you want to be?
certainly

i use his clips just as a reference to compare with the panasonic.

since he does not use sonys full hd but only 1440x1080 i do not know how his software handles the squeezing 2 videos together in one frame with different modes.

just comparing the overall impression and not the quality, in most of them i see a bad blue color cast at the panasonic videos , see first capture above.

the panasonic looks to the untrained eye more appealing because of the more punchier color, contrast, brightness and sharpening.

all these things can be adjusted to your taste while viewing, what you can not change is missing buildings, missing sky and missing detail.

If you had like me nearly watched every hx5 video available on vimeo, youtube and the websites you would know that the sony video is outstanding in nearly every situation.

So again, his clips are not to see the original quality of both cameras but to see how they handle the same situations.

and as a 2 MP foto with a 2 MP sensor has lots of more detail than a 1MP with a 1MP sensor the sony 1080 CAN hold the double amount of the panasonic 720 mode.
Will that be the case?
I can tell you in a week when I do the test with my HX5

-- hide signature --
zchymalaga Forum Member • Posts: 96

I don´t understand this apparently terrible quality low light videos.

There are a lot of good hx5v videos on the web, but I also assume this clip discourage a lot of potential hx5v buyers. For my untrained eye the diference is really big:

ZS7 much better than hx5v in low light conditions videos. People interesting in a superior stills low light compact camera, probably find very important videos in low light conditions.

I need to check more comparative videos.

zchymalaga Forum Member • Posts: 96

I think the most important is:

it is easy ( like is show at the first youtube video seconds) to fix dark hx5v videos in post production. Which program or way to do it? The focus problem is another issue, users can talk us about this.

KevD Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Sony HX5V vs Panasonic TZ10 recording times?

Sony's US website (footnote 9) quotes AVCHD recording times are limited to 10 mins (29 mins for Mpeg 4)?, does anybody know if this is true or a typo? See link below:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077169#footNotes

Northernlanes Forum Member • Posts: 90

I'm not buying the footage from the link in the first post of this thread, the footage is way too dark, and looking at other clips from the same guy shows more dark footage, I think I'd go as far as to say that there may be a fault with his camera.

More representative of the Sony HX5v lowlight/night time video capabilities are seen better in this clip from You Tube ..

lowlight footage ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8QPoCtI_4

I have posted some 1920x1080i AVCHD footage from my HX5v on Vimeo with the following link ..

http://www.vimeo.com/10831201

.. this is more representative of the quality of the video this camera is capable of, it should be noted that this video has been edited in Pinnacle Studio and resaved, and then encoded by Vimeo themselves and has thus lost a little of its original quality, an original short clip can be found here ..

http://www.vimeo.com/10815073

PS: I posted a longer version on You Tube but their encoder really screwed up the clip intoduced artifacting, Vimeo made a far better job of it.

Northernlanes Forum Member • Posts: 90

Another good clip can be found here ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQU9UxFBshA

.. don't forget to turn on the HD.

OP perfectsquare Forum Member • Posts: 67

Northernlanes wrote:

lowlight footage ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8QPoCtI_4

Seems like quite a different "low light" scene to those in mikesmultimedia's video; it has strong road lighting in the foreground. But eliminating any argument about that is the point of the side-by-side test - it controls for variables such as differences in lighting, whereas looking at videos of different scenes and trying to mentally compensate is inherently less certain and easily influenced by observer bias.

There are shortcomings in mike's videos and in the way they're judged by viewers (e.g. not blinded), but fewer than trying to compare based on independently recorded scenes. Individual clips are great for demonstrating that "this camera records really lovely video" but that's easily said of clips taken by competing cameras. Side-by-side is a more reliable way to highlight the differences.

Ideally another party would replicate his tests, but it's a big ask to have someone to purchase both cameras, set up the side-by-side apparatus, record different locations at various times of day, sort and upload the videos, respond to critics, etc.

ron2000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,208

Sony video looked dark in the comparision.

The problem with judging the video from the web is that they are not originals.

As well as the author having rendered the original videos , they have also been converted by vimeo/youtube.

As well as too dark, the Sony video also suffered ghosting which is a sign of inability in rendering process, and/or vimeo's conversion of 1440x1080 60p.

I would also wonder if there is anything in the setting that may affect the video exposure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads