Anybody used an Eye-fi card in a photo shoot? (ad-hoc mode)

Started Apr 5, 2010 | Discussions
love_them_all Senior Member • Posts: 2,794
Anybody used an Eye-fi card in a photo shoot? (ad-hoc mode)

Anybody tried using the eye-fi card in ad-hoc mode during a shoot?

AFAIK I can get on location with a laptop connected to the card while I am shooting, and the images will be downloaded to the laptop directly w/o the need of a router.

I wonder how fast it works and realistically useful for a commercial shoot situation. If an assistant can look at the actual results right off the laptop and can comment/feedback to the model without stopping that would be nice. A back up copy can also be burned as I go, that's extra insurance and time saving. The client on the set can also see the progress.

Any comments?

mactrash Regular Member • Posts: 444
Re: Anybody used an Eye-fi card in a photo shoot? (ad-hoc mode)

I have the same question ...

Last time I check this card, and it will just upload when the camera is stop shooting / turn off? is that any upgrade on the current pro card?
--
http://www.hkphoto.com

mactrash's gear list:mactrash's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-3
BlissStreetPhoto Junior Member • Posts: 49
Slow.

At this point all wireless solutions are slow. The technology simply to do this simply isn't keeping pace with the market. The best bet is to shoot tethered, and even that is slower then it needs to be.

I have seen 2 demos of the Eye-fi card, the original and the Pro, and neither has the range or speed for real use.

OP love_them_all Senior Member • Posts: 2,794
Re: Slow.

I thought so....
--

C S A Regular Member • Posts: 430

Yep. I borrowed one and it was absolutely useless. Way way too slow.

Dee300 Regular Member • Posts: 139

Eye-Fi are bringing out the Pro x2 card which supports wireless-N - that ought to be pretty quick!?

OSAM Regular Member • Posts: 489

IIRC the Eye-fi cards only transfer jpg files, not RAW.

The pro ver does offer RAW transfer but obviously it will be way slow.

OSAM wrote:

IIRC the Eye-fi cards only transfer jpg files, not RAW.

-- hide signature --

So anybody knows any wired solution for viewing/downloading images on a computer as I shoot?
--

TonyGamble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452

"So anybody knows any wired solution for viewing/downloading images on a computer as I shoot?"

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/

I use it regularly. And if you get those 'active' USB cables you can work quite a long way from the computer.

Tony

dik Regular Member • Posts: 349

Here's a 10 meter active USB extension cable, ridiculously cheap, works perfectly.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6149&seq=1&format=2

And if you want up to 150', here's a USB> Ethernet> USB cable set, also very affordable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2

slowhands Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470

I shoot Canon;
the software to support shooting teathered is included (at least for PC)

A couple USB extension cables (10', 8' +"normal" length) can be strung together successfully.

Canon EOS software downloads file to the specified directory, alterning filename as specified.

I use IrFanView to display the latest image file; hotkey can send to Photoshop to crop/adjust/ run macro to add event border, etc... send to printer or lab.

With MS Windows fikle sharing, other networked laptops can see the same folder of image files. Let your imagination run wild.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
slowhands Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470

I've got the 5m (16') active extension cable and a couple shorter passive cables, they have all been excellent tools for shooting teathered.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D

Thanks guys for the input.

EOS utility... almost forgot about that. Yes, using an USB cable to tether is far cheaper than the wireless route. The only down side is people always trip on cable and as a result damaging the USB ports on the camera/laptop.

I should look for some kind of hook attach to my belt and to the short usb cable to my camera. That way when the longer cable is pulled it will just yank off the hook off my belt, not directly off the camera.

slowhands wrote:

I shoot Canon;
the software to support shooting teathered is included (at least for PC)

A couple USB extension cables (10', 8' +"normal" length) can be strung together successfully.

Canon EOS software downloads file to the specified directory, alterning filename as specified.

I use IrFanView to display the latest image file; hotkey can send to Photoshop to crop/adjust/ run macro to add event border, etc... send to printer or lab.

With MS Windows fikle sharing, other networked laptops can see the same folder of image files. Let your imagination run wild.

-- hide signature --

berend New Member • Posts: 2

MacTrash wrote:

Last time I check this card, and it will just upload when the camera is stop shooting / turn off? is that any upgrade on the current pro card?

While it is technically true that the camera is always given priority access to the storage, in practice there are plenty of lulls in the camera's access in typical shooting scenarios for the wireless interface to transfer the files. It obviously won't work if all that's done is holding the shutter down in continuous shooting mode, but with spaced bursts of shots, there will be enough pauses for transfers.

Whether it works for any given shooting scenario is all workload dependent. The "X1" cards have been used by numerous folks in RAW+JPEG simultaneous shooting setups to transfer the JPEG copies only for quick and easy preview by assistants, etc. The Pro X2 has an 802.11n radio and when coupled with a good 802.11n router (or an ad hoc connection), in a normal radio noise setting (i.e. a studio as opposed to a trade-show floor with tens of wireless networks in the air), it will transfer fast, but it's still probably not realistic to think of it as a solution for moving continuously-shot 10 MB+ RAW files in real time.

Finally, if you benchmark one of the cards and or have heard of benchmark results, be aware of one common pitfall. Starting with an "idle" setup, the transfer of the first photo always takes longer than back-to-back photo transfers because the card has to associate with the wireless network, get a DHCP address and initiate transfers. After that, it bursts photos, until there's a one minute gap of inactivity (three minutes on ad hoc) after which it disconnects to conserve power.

Berend (yes, I work for Eye-Fi)

Berend,

Am I right in thinking that the Pro X2 card will download jpgs quickly and then use any spare time to download the matching RAWs - and then remove the RAWs from the camera card once it knows it has them safely on the PC?

I've been using Breeze DSLR remote from a Canon 5d to a Samsung Q1 Ultra for out-of-studio portrait sessions. The client and I get to see what is happening on the Q1 and I retain the RAWs on the camera for safety. However, with that system I can, when the camera is full, simply put in a new CF card.

I've now moved to working with a Panasonic G1 that is not supported by Breeze. I have always been interested in Eye-Fi but aware of the fact that, unless one relies on jpgs for the quick viewing on the PC, it is slow working with RAWs. However, even an 8 gig card could fill up with a long session shooting with RAW and jpg - and having a second Eye-Fi card would be costly. What I like is the concept that you can remove the RAWs from the camera and delete them.

Is my understanding correct?

Tony
London UK

NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

love_them_all wrote:

Anybody tried using the eye-fi card in ad-hoc mode during a shoot?

AFAIK I can get on location with a laptop connected to the card while I am shooting, and the images will be downloaded to the laptop directly w/o the need of a router.

AFAIK you need a router and an Internet (active) connection to transfer files...

I wonder how fast it works and realistically useful for a commercial shoot situation. If an assistant can look at the actual results right off the laptop and can comment/feedback to the model without stopping that would be nice. A back up copy can also be burned as I go, that's extra insurance and time saving. The client on the set can also see the progress.

Any comments?

For 16-19 MB RAW files it takes between 20 to 40 seconds - depending on the distance you are from the router - until they open in Lightroom, for example...

Not a stellar performance, but surely less time than turning the camera off, remove the memory, etc., etc. .

I bought mine one month ago, and I have mixed feelings about my purchase...

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Pedro

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +15 more

"AFAIK you need a router and an Internet (active) connection to transfer files..."

Not with the new card that does 'ad hoc' IMHO.

Tony

Berend,

I've got my Pro X2 card but not yet got it to link into the ad-hoc network I have created. There is a cry for help on the Eye-Fi bulletin board - and another post on this forum.

If you could steer someone in my direction it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tony

Eye-Fi Support Forum Member • Posts: 55

Please contact us and we will be happy to get you set up on your ad hoc network. support.eye.fi/contact-support

The ad hoc network works a lot better with Windows Vista, Windows 7 or the Mac OS X. Windows XP is more of a pain.

• Eye-Fi Support

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads