Olympus OM Lenses - EOS Adaptors

Started Mar 29, 2010 | Discussions
Andy Howell Junior Member • Posts: 31
Olympus OM Lenses - EOS Adaptors

I've just ordered a cheap adaptor ring that will allow me to use my old Zuiko M lenses with the 5D II.

I remember these as cracking prime lenses and will be interested see how they match up.

Is anyone else using one of these adaptors?

LDunn1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,904
Re: Olympus OM Lenses - EOS Adaptors

Hi Andy,

I have been participating in another thread on the same subject:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=34837988

......I got a cheap ebay Eos-OM adapter & have been using my (growing!) colleciton of old OM kit on 5dmk2.

.......apart from lenses you can also use OM extension tubes & bellows unit. Note that if you want to use the Bellows unit you also HAVE to use an extension tube between body & bellows - the bellows mount does not clear the prism otherwise & you cannot mount the two directly......sandwich an extension tube between the two & you can.

I just did some sample shots of OM 21mm, 24mm, 35mm T&S & 55mm vs Canon 24-105L & 50 1.4 lenses. I think the shots I've posted so far do not really show much - I need to crop & show 100% views so that the imperfections can be better seen......the full frame uncropped shots are just too small via the DPReview gallery to reveal much.

I think i may have just added an OM 18mm to my collection too which I am excited about, so will post samples of that in due course too.

Would be good to get you to join in with the samples - what OM glass do you have?

LDunn1's gear list:LDunn1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
OP Andy Howell Junior Member • Posts: 31

Lawrence,

I'd be more than happy to join you in the review/experiment.

I've the Canon 24-110 kit lens and have ordered a 17-40. But I thought it would good to use the fixed lenses as well.

In my collection I have:

24/2.8
28/2.8
50/1.8
135/3.5

I don't know how the 135 is as I picked that up a few years ago second hand, and actually haven't used it. At the time I was looking for a 100 which I seem to remember had the reputation of being a wonderful lens. The others in the collection are pretty good!

Good man.

I did samples this weekend & have posted the results, but to be honest, I probably need to redo.

From what I have seen so far, it looks like the wide angle OM kit at least is very viable on the Canon......I don't think the loss of features like AF & IS on a wide is such an issue for stills use & or video on a tripod or using something like a steadicam maybe......BUT I'd love Canon to come out with a new 16-35L f2.8 that had IS, just for when you hand-hold video.

Join in the banter of the other thread I sent you if this one does not kick off more.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
OP Andy Howell Junior Member • Posts: 31

Certainly agree with you about wide angle. Focus is not so much of a problem and — to be honest — I still find that these lenses work quite intuitively.

mu55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,401

I've got a few L lenses (28-70, 24-105, 135L and have used many others) but I find the old OM lenses to produce exactly what I expect in a photograph - the colours are alittle muted, the contrast high and the midtones almost perfect - if they ever put a 5D sensor in an OM body I'm there

I've got a 21mm & 28mm f3.5 and 100mm f2.8 - love them.

I did try the 135 f2.8 and 50mm 1.4 but found the 100 2.8 and Pentax A series 50mm 1.4 to be better.

Have fun with the adapter and lenses.
The OM 100mm f2.8 is smaller than the canon 50mm 1.4 - makes a great travel lens
--

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more

......I must try the 100 f2.8 I have on the 5dmk2.

......so why don't you get an EOS-OM adapter & use the OM glass on the 5d/5dmk2 then if you ideal is an OM4 with 5d sensor.....you are almost there with an adapter

......I actually bought the adapter as I wanted to use the OM glass for video work so I had manual control of the aperture (before the firmware updates).......and the other aspect is that the AF in video mode being less than ideal, the old manual focus lenses give a better manual focus feel than the Canon Eos lenses do.

stevielee Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Andy Howell wrote:

I've just ordered a cheap adaptor ring that will allow me to use my old Zuiko M lenses with the 5D II.

I remember these as cracking prime lenses and will be interested see how they match up.

Is anyone else using one of these adaptors?

I'm using 2 lenses right now that come in a Olympus OM mount: the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 MIJ (Made in Japan) variant, and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f2.8-4 3rd edition (Komine).

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

My Olympus OM adapters both have AF confirm. The 50mm Zuiko MIJ is fantastic on the 5D II. Not as fast as the Canon 50mm f1.4, but as sharp wide open at 1.8. The only real downside is the darkening viewfinder when stopping down these adapted lenses since the aperture is controlled manually via the dial on the lens. At f5.6, or greater, precise focusing is better attained using live view than looking through the viewfinder. I picked up the 50mm Olympus for $50, and the Vivitar 70-210 for $65.00, as well as both the OM to EOS adapters on eBay for about $25 apiece. They have worked out just as advertised - though accurate focusing can still be a tricky affair - especially with longer focal range lenses above 70mm.

Karl Burke Regular Member • Posts: 102

I got a Jinfinance or Camerabits adaptor off Ebay in order to use a Tokina OM-mount 17mm/3.5 lens on my 5D and it works very well. Happy memories of using OM-1s in the past - super lenses, great little cameras, if a little fragile.

Now what I'd really like is the Zuiko 21mm f2, however it'll take more than that to get me taking pictures like Eugene Richards.....

stevielee Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Karl Burke wrote:

I got a Jinfinance or Camerabits adaptor off Ebay in order to use a Tokina OM-mount 17mm/3.5 lens on my 5D and it works very well. Happy memories of using OM-1s in the past - super lenses, great little cameras, if a little fragile.

Now what I'd really like is the Zuiko 21mm f2, however it'll take more than that to get me taking pictures like Eugene Richards.....

The Zuiko 21mm f2 is a legendary wide angle prime - right up there with the Zeiss 21mm f2.8, and Leica's 19mm 2.8 in optical performance. I had the f3.5 version of that Zuiko 21mm adapter for my original 5D. It was a fantastic combo - but I've replaced it with the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 C/Y adapter to the 5D II. The Zuiko 21mm f2 if pretty rare and resells for nearly 1K (well worth it) on eBay.

FranKois
FranKois Junior Member • Posts: 36

Good man.

I did samples this weekend & have posted the results, but to be honest, I probably need to redo.

From what I have seen so far, it looks like the wide angle OM kit at least is very viable on the Canon......I don't think the loss of features like AF & IS on a wide is such an issue for stills use & or video on a tripod or using something like a steadicam maybe......BUT I'd love Canon to come out with a new 16-35L f2.8 that had IS, just for when you hand-hold video.

Join in the banter of the other thread I sent you if this one does not kick off more.

I have just recently baught a 6D and have a couple of zuiko lenses that I would like to use.

Could you be so kind to tell me the brand name of the adapter you are using?

To operate the manual focus have you changed the focusing screen?

Is the exposure metering still normally working?

Thank you for your answers.

Regards

FranKois

FranKois's gear list:FranKois's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
FranKois
FranKois Junior Member • Posts: 36

100% agreed with you !

When E5-OMD was annonced , it was my dream: an OM body with a digital FF!

Sony with its RX1 FF fixed lens was more clever respect to canon with its M. Now sony will make a new RX with interchangeable lenses. Once such model will reach a price under 2000 USD, m4/3 will be killed as it happen, many years ago, with many reduced film dimensions smaller than 24x36.

FranKois's gear list:FranKois's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads