Does Canon 2x Extender works wiht Canon 55-250 lens?

Started Mar 29, 2010 | Discussions
Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Does Canon 2x Extender works wiht Canon 55-250 lens?

Does "Canon Extender EF 2x II" works wiht "Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" lens ?

I've already check B&H 2x Extender Chart and it does not appear in it. Is that correct or the Chart is incomplete?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon2xExtender.html

Has somebody tried this combination?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

misha Forum Pro • Posts: 18,768
Re: Does Canon 2x Extender works wiht Canon 55-250 lens?

Condor wrote:

Does "Canon Extender EF 2x II" works wiht "Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" lens ?

I've already check B&H 2x Extender Chart and it does not appear in it. Is that correct or the Chart is incomplete?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon2xExtender.html

No, it does not. No teleconverters work with that lens, since it is an EF-S mount lens.
--
Misha

Ed Yamanaka Regular Member • Posts: 400

Condor wrote:

Simple answer: No.

It is a complete chart. The Canon extenders only work with a few Canon L lenses. Canon extenders do not work with any EF-S lenses.

Has somebody tried this combination?

It simply won't work. Also, there is no telextender (Kenko, Tamron, Vivitar, etc) that I am aware of that will work with an EF-S lens. I may be wrong on this, but it really has to do with the way EF-S lenses are mounted. If you notice when you attach the 55-250 lens, you align the white dot on the lens with the white dot on the camera. There is a second red dot on the camera that is directly beneath the Canon name on the flash housing. That red dot is where you line up any standard EF (full frame) Lens. So unless there is a telextender specifically designed for EF-S lenses, they will not mount correctly on the adapter.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but you just will not be able to add any type of telextender to the 55-250 lens. On the plus side, you have a nice lens that was very inexpensive. I have a 70-300 IS and although I can fit a Kenko telextender to it, I don't because I don't want the added hassles. I am instead trying to save up for a 400mm f/5.6 lens.

Hope that helps.

OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Misha,

Thanks. So, then the "Canon EF 2x II Extender" should work with the "Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM" since it isn't an "EF-S"... Or not again?

If it works, could somebody post a sample photo taken with this combination?

Ed

Erik Magnuson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247
No and you wouldn't want to

Condor wrote:

Does "Canon Extender EF 2x II" works wiht "Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" lens

If you look at the Canon extenders, you will see that they actually protrude on the lens side such that part of the extender inserts inside the lens. This protrusion in engineered to only fit the L lenses listed. 3rd party extenders don't do this (except the Sigmas) but they don't fit EF-S lenses either.

Even if you could fit a 2x extender, a 500mm f/11 lens will not AF and the viewfinder will be very dark and hard to focus manually. The IS system will be much less effective as you will be well outside of it's operating parameters. To get even decent quality, you'd need to stop down one or two stops and then you are at f/16 or f/22 already - now you need ISO 800 or 1600 in full sun just to get a decent shutter speed.

Alas, there is no both good and cheap solution to 400mm plus. If there were, everyone would be using it.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247

Condor wrote:

Misha,

Thanks. So, then the "Canon EF 2x II Extender" should work with the "Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM" since it isn't an "EF-S"... Or not again?

No. See my comment below about the protrusion. Again, a 2x converter is a poor match to this lens as well. A 1.4x (non-Canon) is workable but you still lose AF and quality is so-so.

-- hide signature --

Erik

OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: No and you wouldn't want to

Alas, there is no both good and cheap solution to 400mm plus. If there were, everyone would be using it.

Erik

It was nice while it lasted. Thanks for your complete and very useful analysis. I have to come back to reallity then and just accept the investment associated with bird-photography.

Ed

Psysiu New Member • Posts: 1

Hi,

I was researching myself recently whether you can use EF-S lenses with Canon Extenders and I have not found a complete answer, so here's compilation of my own findings and info from others.

- NO - it will not allow you to shoot distant objects

You will lose the ability to focus to infinity and you will be able to manually focus only on near objects - depending on the lens, up to around 1 meter from the camera. There's no way that I know of to work around this.

- YES, technically it is possible

1) You will need an extension tube to mount the lens on the extender, because:

a) Canon extenders have EF mount - extension tubes (I have Kenko) have both mounts.

b) The extender partially goes inside of the lens, so you need to separate them with at least 20mm extension tube.

2) You will need to focus manually

a) The camera will lose the ability to autofocus (most Canon cameras lose that if the maximum aperture of the set up is over f/5.6 - the 2x converter magnifies the maximum aperture x2, making the lens in question a f/8-11.6 lens)

b) viewfinder will get very dark

3) Extenders will work with Canon macro lenses not listed in compatibility charts (so the non-L class ones), provided you use an extension tube. Viewfinder will get dark and autofocus may be very inaccurate.

Cheers

photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895
Re: No and you wouldn't want to

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Condor wrote:

Does "Canon Extender EF 2x II" works wiht "Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" lens

Erik

Well, fast forward to 2015, the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-600 contemporary are very good for the relative inexpensive price.

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
photonius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,895

Psysiu wrote:

Hi,

I was researching myself recently whether you can use EF-S lenses with Canon Extenders and I have not found a complete answer, so here's compilation of my own findings and info from others.

- NO - it will not allow you to shoot distant objects

You will lose the ability to focus to infinity and you will be able to manually focus only on near objects - depending on the lens, up to around 1 meter from the camera. There's no way that I know of to work around this.

No, this is only because you use extension tubes, as you explain below

- YES, technically it is possible

1) You will need an extension tube to mount the lens on the extender, because:

a) Canon extenders have EF mount - extension tubes (I have Kenko) have both mounts.

b) The extender partially goes inside of the lens, so you need to separate them with at least 20mm extension tube.

2) You will need to focus manually

a) The camera will lose the ability to autofocus (most Canon cameras lose that if the maximum aperture of the set up is over f/5.6 - the 2x converter magnifies the maximum aperture x2, making the lens in question a f/8-11.6 lens)

b) viewfinder will get very dark

3) Extenders will work with Canon macro lenses not listed in compatibility charts (so the non-L class ones), provided you use an extension tube. Viewfinder will get dark and autofocus may be very inaccurate.

Cheers

Current status:

It is possible to remove the back of the 55-250 lens and use it on EF mounts (with heavy vignetting). Therefore, with Kenko 1.4x or 2.0 x teleconverters (which don't protrude into the lens like Canon's teleconverters) you should be able to use the lens.

Kenko released new teleconverters recently, the Teleplus HD series, which DO mount EF-S lenses! http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/lens_accessories/teleplus/teleplus_hd_dgx_14x_canon.html

However, as pointed out, with a 1.4x the aperture will become f8, and with a 2x it will be f11. Therefore AF will only work poorly in live view on rebel bodies, unless you have a 7D II, which focuses with phase detect at f8.

The best solution for more reach, as mentioned, Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600c

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

photonius's gear list:photonius's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads