Sony HX5V vs Canon SX210 Pictures

Started Mar 26, 2010 | Discussions
Eternal28 New Member • Posts: 12
Sony HX5V vs Canon SX210 Pictures

I have shot a couple of pictures that I would like to share with you guys. I've bought both cameras today and have take a couple of shot to compare them. Both cameras were shot on Auto mode. Sony Hx5 then follwed by Canon Sx210. Enjoy

21st Hermit Veteran Member • Posts: 5,470
Re: Sony HX5V vs Canon SX210 Pictures

Not much difference.

On the first pair the warmer color cast of the Sony is apparent.

On the second pair, the half-stop exposure difference overwhelms any difference.

Where did you find a SX210? How do you find the LCD screens of each in bright light? Please compare the two cameras from a usability stand point.

You're going to get a lot of questions.

-- hide signature --

Lost in the Colorado Mountains!!!

GaryBeaman Forum Member • Posts: 81

Quite obvious purple/cyan fringing on the Canon pics. I am more sure than ever that I made the right decision by buying the HX5. Thanks for the comparison.

GaryBeaman's gear list:GaryBeaman's gear list
Nokia Lumia 920
GD1 Regular Member • Posts: 358

Thanks for the comparison. I like the warmer colors of the Sony better.

bobbidog Contributing Member • Posts: 893

Gary, you are totally right. The canon shows CA - that's what i thought while looking at those pics. furthermore the canon pics show distortion. i own several cams and i am always a bit disappointed when the canon pics reveal their ugly CA. Panasonic does a good job in removing these ugly colour borders - i wonder why canon isn't capable of doing the same. maybe i should have a look at the new sony. what i have seen and read about this obviously great cam makes me hungry for another modern p&s cam in my collection
--
happy fotoing :: bobbidog
officially certified duck club member

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,660

I Re-sized the HX5V up to 4320x3240 (for fairness) and compared, at 100%, the gutter and down-spout portion of the pics. The lack of CA in the HX5V was confirmed. Although I could not correct the purple CA in CS3, I was able to get rid of most of the green CA. However when viewed on 2.4MP screen, CA is not visible to my eyes. Still the HX5V has much less CA.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Goatruckus Regular Member • Posts: 450

Color/contrast - HX5V better (surprising to me)

Distortion - tie

CA - HX5V better

Detail - SX210 This was only obvious to me when I looked at the full size images, especially the brick walls. Don't know if this is the extra MP of the Canon or the "smudgy" CMOS effect of the Sony (I did resize for the compare).

DanK♂ FP6900 Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: detail

You do realize that it's 25mm vs 28mm that's why you see more detail from the same spot?

Re: detail

I considered the lens difference that but both near and far objects are definitely sharper on the SX210. I'm no expert on lens properties but if I look at any part of the grass and/or the bricks I see a big difference.

I've had second thoughts on the color after using a better monitor. The Sony looks quite yellow on the grass and trees.

Anyhow, I will do my own tests. Like the original poster I ordered both cameras and they should be here on Monday.

John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,909

The key to correct colour for me is grass and road surfaces. The HX5 wins hands down for me here.

-

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/ (slideshow always good)
[Tomorrows camera is better and smaller than todays]

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
OP Eternal28 New Member • Posts: 12

I will try to take some night shots later on, and compare them.

John Miles

Looking forward to them
--

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/ (slideshow always good)

Here is round #2 of the Hx5v vs Sx210 in low light, both are on auto mode. Hx5v followed by Sx210. The last 2 pictures are from the canon but I set it on iso 1600, because on auto mode it would only select iso 800.

cboy7 Regular Member • Posts: 119

Great set.

I think the 1st and last pics are best to compare since they use same iso.

dibs2010 Contributing Member • Posts: 593

Atleast for me, these two seem to be in a different class altogether... HX5v is way better in low light... i don't care weather we loose detail because of NR... what is important is that the picture should be clear and HX5v is a winner here by a wide margin.... just look at the color of the sky (at full size) and you will know the difference...

RMac Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Could somebody please post a comparison of videos between these two cameras, that is another thing that I am very interested in seeing. Thanks in advance!

RMac's gear list:RMac's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G7 X
John Miles

This is what we have come to expect from a BSI CMOS sensor. The main difference is this levelling of performance through the ISO range. I am happy to accept a slight loss of performance at low ISO for the relatively dramatic gain at high ISO. The overall gain for the average user is very welcome indeed.

The HX5v's colours are good also. Ok they are warm for some. But Sony have hit a very commercially pallatable balance here, that in my opinion is very deserving of the praise it's getting.

Thank you for the low light set. If anything it shows that the CCD designs need to respond to this new chip on the block; the BSI CMOS.

-- hide signature --

I got some video samples now posted to youtube. The Sony is recorded in 720p Mp4 format, and the Canon SX210 in 720p.

Here is the link for the Sony Hx5V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzwF8_Gxtjc

Here is the Canon SX210is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qK9n7bTdm8

It's always hard to tell with YouTube clips but the Sony seems to have a better picture and the Canon better sound. Thanks for posting.

I got the HX5V today and noticed that on my videos sounds made close to the camera are very clear but background sounds seem to be intentionally suppressed. I was taking a video of my kids in a room with a TV on and you could just barely make out the sound of the TV but peoples voices could be heard clearly. This may or may not be a good thing. I like the sound of the birds in the SX210 clip you have.....missing from the Sony.

I ordered the same as you......my SX210 comes on Monday so I have some comparisons to do too. I've been finding that the indoor shots from the HX5V are very warm unless I do a custom white balance. Also noticed that twilight mode comes out with more accurate white balance than P mode with high ISO. Hmmmm?

Ach3r0n Contributing Member • Posts: 582

The low-light comparison on Imaging Resource show the same thing. The Sony is miles ahead of the Canon in low-light. As someone else said, I think I would be willing to sacrifice some daylight IQ to have better performance throughout the range.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads