Sold GF1, 20mm, 14-140 and 7-14; back to DSLR

Started Mar 25, 2010 | Discussions
Allen H. Forum Member • Posts: 62
Sold GF1, 20mm, 14-140 and 7-14; back to DSLR

After being enamored, and even taking a lot of good pics (if I do say so myself) on a recent Asia vacation, I've sold ALL my Micro-Four thirds gear.

Why? I so much missed an actually, looking through the lense, viewfinder. I did like the small size and the GF1 with the neat f/1.7 the lack of a "proper" viewfinder was just too much. The clip on on for Pano is, IMHO, Mickey Mouse but even a built in one has you looking at a display.

No doubt Micro Four Thirds is innovative and, perhaps even, the wave of the future but with the view finder limitations (and, yes, several others compared to a DSLR), it is not yet, again IMHO, even semi-pro gear.

So, I'm back with a new Canon 7D and a bunch of neat and less much larger lenses. And..it feels good!

-Allen-

stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219
Totally different kinds of cameras..

There's room in the bag for an SLR and a micro 4/3. They are for really different applications.

You should have tried the E-P2 viewfinder. It's pretty darn good.

Bodomalo Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: Sold GF1, 20mm, 14-140 and 7-14; back to DSLR

Did you try a G1 viewfinder?

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

An interesting result, Allen. I have a full-up Canon 7D system and am considering adding (not a move to) a Panasonic m4/3 system for a more easily carried system -- Panasonic because the reputed slow AF of the Olys puts me off, and because I think I'd prefer the GH1 format with the best EVF available built in vs. stuck on.

I find the bulk of the 7D and lenses means they don't go with me often, while my S90 is always with me (and in most situations does very well up to ISO 400-800, at least good enough for capturing the moment). But the 7D is surely a "best-in-class" machine when coupled with my best lenses.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D; G11, S90, SD700IS; Panasonic ZS3/TZ7
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
OP Allen H. Forum Member • Posts: 62

The large size of my DSLR "backpack" was what made me move to 4/3 in the first place. Even with the much smaller 4/3 set up w/two additional lenses (to the little and nice 20mm f/1.7) you still have a "kit" to carry around, granted a lighter one.

And yes, prior to the GF1 I had the GH1 and the G1 (was it so numbered). So, I did have cameras with the built-in but no, I didn't try the clip on one which to me was just not in the spirit of the camera.

As for keeping the GF1, well it is kind of like having two cars for one person, or two wristwatches, you usually just really end up using one. Beside my wife has a Canon G9 (great little camera BTW)

Interestingly, (some one on another DP board had asked about why lenses are so expensive, etc)..well interestingly..with assiduous buying and selling on say eBay, the round trip, so to speak of doing all the above was very little actual out of pocket cost and I upgraded my prior Canon set up having gone from a 30D to the 7D and upgraded my some of my sold Canon lenses. I changed from a 85mm f1.2 portrait which was really a little too long on the 1.6x multiplying sensor to a 50mm f1.2 which is, in fact, a little less costly and a little smaller.

-Allen-

BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,094
Works for me

My Panasonic G1 and three lenses isn't anything like a replacement for my Nikon system, but it's nice to have the light, compact alternative with high quality image capability.

The built-in EVF is a much better way to go for shooters who prefer the EVF to the rear LCD for shooting. The accessory EVFs actually make the Panasonic and Olympus cameras that use them taller than the DSLR-style built-in finder cameras. And the accessories finders don't lock securely so they're easy to displace in storage and use.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
SF Photo Gal
SF Photo Gal Senior Member • Posts: 2,228

You had to spend the money to BUY three different camera before you figured out you don't like the format? Either you have a whole lot of money to burn or you're not really evaluating your equipment before you buy it. And they say women are finicky.

In my conversations with other photographers who make their living from their work and primarily use full frame cameras, most seem more interested in the m4/3 format than the APS. Both most have an pretty extensive investment in glass which keeps them from jumping on board. But quite a number I know have bought either EP's or GF, and even a couple of LX's as personal street cameras.
--
SF Photo Gal
Canon 1Ds MkIII/Panasonic GH-1-LX-3-FZ-50

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more

Actually, I had my first Canon set up for several years but was briefly "seduced" by Micro 4/3. Yes, was a finicky decision, not my normal modus operandi, but I'm no Tiger Woods or Jesse James :)...it wasn't wives or girl friends I was trading.

As for the money to burn, see my prior post..I didn't really burn much. The Canon gear I sold, I probably broke even on.

The GF1 I did well on. I lost a little, total, say $200 on the Lumix lenses..the resale market for them is much smaller, as less well established, than for Canon EF.

The 7-14mm..I don't know if it is hard to get or what, but I sold it for what I paid for it or nearly so.

-Allen-

2am_strobist Regular Member • Posts: 214

In my opinion, I would only "replace" my full DSLR if I had a D90/550D or lower. If I used a D300/7D or higher, I would pick up m4/3 as a second camera. When I'm on vacation, for example, I don't necessarily need award winning IQ or focus speed, or other advantages DSLRs have. For me the viewfinder in low-light issue is probably my biggest gripe. I dont care that its EVF vs. Optical, its just in low-light the EVF tend to look grainy and slows down. In good light, an EVF is like looking at your picture in a movie theater screen. It's actually better (for me) when shooting video. It gives you that on-screen perspective.

Anyhow, I'm glad the OP got it all figured out. Of course, I have a feeling you wont be taking quite as many pics with your 7D as you would've with the GF1???

I know I'll be taking just as many pics and better ones too with my new set up.

Oh, btw, I took my GF1 with 1-140mm to Mavricks surf contest last month. It was VERY frustrating trying to keep the surfers in the frame.

And the week before in sunlight in Santa Cruz it was practically impossible to frame the pics. The display is sometimes useless, so a view finder is necessary. In the fall in Asia, I didn't have this problem, only in sunny CA. Have you seen, btw, the large "device" someone is selling that goes over the LCD and you look into an eyepiece to use..Well, it looks goofy but I can see why someone developed it. Still, wonder how many they have sold?

-Allen-

Brooks Lester Senior Member • Posts: 1,865

Should have kept m4/3 added DSLR.

I'll never stop shooting DSLR - for all the usual reasons. m4/3 fills in the gap between DSLR and pocketable LX3. The LX3 compromises IQ too much for everyday use. The GF-1 is essentially entry-level DSLR quality, which is pretty darn good these days.

I have a Nikon D700, the latest pro 2/8 zooms, legendary primes, etc., 35mm is still my "home" format, but there's a place for the other form factors as well.

Brooks Lester's gear list:Brooks Lester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,501
fully agree with Brooks (with a couple of pics attached)

I have the GF1, 20mm, 14-140 and 7-14. Love this kit and it performed in exemplary fashion on a recent trip to Antarctica and Patagonia (I posted pictures on this forum that were well received). For travel to places by plane, definitely I only want the GF1 kit unless of course the main purpose of the trip is photography (I've been considering a trip like the ones that Nikonians sponsor).

However, I can't part with my beloved Nikon D3 together with assortment of amazing lenses including the 14-24, 24-70 and 85/1.4. And when I travel by car or am shooting locally, then the Nikon kit is what I reach for.

Speaking of that, below are 2 that I shot last night. The first one is an 8 minute time exposure, and the second one is a 6 image HDR.

-- hide signature --
Re: fully agree with Brooks (with a couple of pics attached)

Beautiful shots, especially like the B&W one!

klopus Regular Member • Posts: 309
Don't fool yourself :)

SF Photo Gal wrote:

In my conversations with other photographers who make their living from their work and primarily use full frame cameras, most seem more interested in the m4/3 format than the APS. Both most have an pretty extensive investment in glass which keeps them from jumping on board.

It's not "extensive investment in glass" that keeps pros from bolting to m43. After P&S m43 is 2nd least suitable professional platform no matter how you slice it - not in IQ, not in speed, not in DOF control, not in lens/accessories selection and availability, not in body build, not in handling. It's an excellent personal (not even backup) system, nothing more nothing less.

Moreover I personally think that in near future m43 will be trounced by APS-C based EVIL systems (like Samsung NX) from Nikon, Sony and eventually probably Canon.

-- hide signature --
 klopus's gear list:klopus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
Re: Don't fool yourself :)

"Moreover I personally think that in near future m43 will be trounced by APS-C based EVIL systems (like Samsung NX) from Nikon, Sony and eventually probably Canon. "

Perhaps, but there is a lot of work to do as the DSLR is so well-developed and thought out. Still, I hope they do! Certainly, electronics, optics, etc are getting smaller and smaller and (smaller) sensors better and better. There is no magic per se in full frame format, only 50+ years (is it?) of development.

SF Photo Gal
SF Photo Gal Senior Member • Posts: 2,228

klopus wrote:

SF Photo Gal wrote:

In my conversations with other photographers who make their living from their work and primarily use full frame cameras, most seem more interested in the m4/3 format than the APS. Both most have an pretty extensive investment in glass which keeps them from jumping on board.

It's not "extensive investment in glass" that keeps pros from bolting to m43. After P&S m43 is 2nd least suitable professional platform no matter how you slice it - not in IQ, not in speed, not in DOF control, not in lens/accessories selection and availability, not in body build, not in handling. It's an excellent personal (not even backup) system, nothing more nothing less.

Moreover I personally think that in near future m43 will be trounced by APS-C based EVIL systems (like Samsung NX) from Nikon, Sony and eventually probably Canon.

klopus: dude, I wrote "in my conversation with ..." this is what THEY TOLD ME. I'm sure they don't represent the opinions of ALL pro photographers, but that's what they said. In my case, again as someone who earns their living from photography, I don't need or plan to buy any more glass for my FF camera and I do plan on at least two more lenses for my GH-1, when I can afford it. I'm sold on the m4/3 format so you're preaching to the choir on that.

Allen H.: I've read your comments in other threads and it seems like you suffer from buyer's remorse. But since you've sold all your m4/3 equipment, I guess you'll be going back to the Canon format? We're sure gonna miss ya.
--
SF Photo Gal
Canon 1Ds MkIII/Panasonic GH-1-LX-3-FZ-50

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +10 more
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,501
we're getting off topic

It's not a question of what may or will be in the future, Rather, it's what tools we photographers have today. The only point I want to reiterate is that the GF1 is just a tool that is sometimes more convenient that the admittedly better picture taking Nikons and Canons.

The smaller GF1 with 20mm that fits in your (cargo pant) pocket is better than the Canon 7D and wonderful lenses that sit at your home as dictated by their sizse.
--
http://brick.smugmug.com/

I figured my post might raise some ire on the Micro Four Thirds board. What heresy from this Allen H.! In any case, I'm just posting my experience and opinion. It is not intended to dis these neat little cameras. Thanks.

mark kay Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477

I have digital medium format, extensive Canon DSLR, and now Panasonic Micro 4/3rds system. There are plenty of times when i take my GF1 where i would not have carried around the DLSR system, so in my opinion they are complementary systems. With a 7D and lots of lenses-- why not keep both? i mean the GF1 with the 14-140 is an outstanding walk around camera.
--
http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161

osloray
osloray Veteran Member • Posts: 4,838
I understand you

and that is why I have not yet gotten into m43. I want to, because my E3 and lenses is not something I am carrying around every day.

I think I will get a Panasonic, but I am waiting to see what they can come up with regarding jpg quality, color and viewfinder. If I get a Panasonic, I might go with an optical viewfinder for the hot shoe.
For me: never focusing on the backscreen, never....
--
Raymond
http://www.bildebank.com

osloray's gear list:osloray's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads