Canon FD 55mm F1.2 lens pics

Started Mar 24, 2010 | Discussions
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Canon FD 55mm F1.2 lens pics

I just got the Canon 55mm F1.2 lens and I just love it. For only $200 I think it is a great choice for m4/3s. It isn't as sharp as the 14-45mm or 20mm pancake wide open. However, it is much faster than those lenses and it is a lot longer than the 20mm.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums/canon-fd-55mm-f1-2

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
leafinsectman Contributing Member • Posts: 763
Re: Canon FD 55mm F1.2 lens pics

I think its good for $200 but its stretching things a little for $300 which is what I paid for. I still like it and while I haven't done any extensive testing comparing it to my FD 50mm f1.4, it seems like it produces better images. While its pretty chunky when paired with a m43 camera, it goes well with my GH1 and it hasn't left the camera since I got it a few days ago. I'll post some pics once I get around to uploading my latest shots.

That said, the more legacy lenses I get, the more I really appreciate the 20mm pancake. That is an absolute gem of a lens. I would trade all my legacy lenses for a 50mm version of that pancake (as long as its just as fast or faster than the 20mm).

neekoh_dp Regular Member • Posts: 371

Thanks for posting, doesn't look bad at all. Try to get some in the daylight and post maybe?

Of the horse closeups it seems only f/1.4 and f/2.5 photos were not shaken. The shake may look like softness unless you magnify the image.

-- hide signature --
Waldgeist New Member • Posts: 4

Did you ever try to get a nice bokeh on an portrait with a complete person?

Waldgeist's gear list:Waldgeist's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094

I just got it last night so I really have had a chance to play with it. I will try to get a portrait with it. However, my kids don't sit still long enough for me to get a nice tight shot.

Waldgeist wrote:

Did you ever try to get a nice bokeh on an portrait with a complete person?

Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more

I am not sure why I would use the 55mm F1.2 outdoors. I would have to stop it down to at least F2.0 in bright sunlight. Then I might as well use my 14-45mm which is always sharp.

I bought the 55mm F1.2 to take F1.2-F1.7 photos in very dark indoor places. It is not a perfect lens but it will take low light pictures better than any other $200 lens I have ever seen.

I can't believe anyone would pay $700+ for the Noktor when the Canon 55mm F1.2 can be had for as little as $131! From the pictures I have seen from the Noktor it is a piece of junk when compared to the Canon 55mm F1.2 S.S.C

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190379958670&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

neekoh_dp wrote:

Thanks for posting, doesn't look bad at all. Try to get some in the daylight and post maybe?

Of the horse closeups it seems only f/1.4 and f/2.5 photos were not shaken. The shake may look like softness unless you magnify the image.

+1 The 20mm is the highest quality lens I own. I would pay a mint for a 30mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, or 55mm version of it. I would probably buy them all if they made them.

leafinsectman wrote:

I think its good for $200 but its stretching things a little for $300 which is what I paid for. I still like it and while I haven't done any extensive testing comparing it to my FD 50mm f1.4, it seems like it produces better images. While its pretty chunky when paired with a m43 camera, it goes well with my GH1 and it hasn't left the camera since I got it a few days ago. I'll post some pics once I get around to uploading my latest shots.

That said, the more legacy lenses I get, the more I really appreciate the 20mm pancake. That is an absolute gem of a lens. I would trade all my legacy lenses for a 50mm version of that pancake (as long as its just as fast or faster than the 20mm).

There was only about 4-6 inches in between the horse and the house in the pictures. That is some pretty shallow depth of field.

leafinsectman Contributing Member • Posts: 763

After initially not being too happy with it (at least when shot wide open), I'm beginning to really like this lens. It suffers during the day and sometimes at night when there's bright lights but it can produce some really nice pictures depending on how you use it. I think its brilliant when shot indoors without a lot of light. And its not all that soft wide open if you're happy to apply some sharpening in PP. Here's some pics from the last couple of days.

This one was shot at either f2 or f2.8. I forgot which one, possibly f2.

This one was shot wide open. Not too bad considering it was sunny.

A bunch of chopsticks shot at f1.2 indoors. This turned out sharper than I expected.

Some flowers shot at either f2 or f2.8 on a sunny day.

And a couple more.

Ehrik Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Thanks!

Good to see that the sensor could make use also of the extra light from f/1.2 over f/1.4, despite the angle of incidence implied by such a bright aperture.

-- hide signature --

Just my two öre,
Erik from Sweden

Heh, ISO 100, 1/4000s and I may have to use f/5.6 in bright sunlight and snow on the ground. What I meant was some portrait etc. daytime next to the window etc. It may still be low light for the zoom lenses, but not the f/1.2 and you could still use short enough shutter times for handheld shots. That would also probably improve the perceived contrast (and easier to set the focus) and maybe show other characteristics of the lens. It's also difficult to judge darkness and be impressed by it merely by numbers.

I liked the series and the lens seems good, I guess I'm just always wanting more even if I'm not out to buy it.

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I am not sure why I would use the 55mm F1.2 outdoors. I would have to stop it down to at least F2.0 in bright sunlight. Then I might as well use my 14-45mm which is always sharp.

I bought the 55mm F1.2 to take F1.2-F1.7 photos in very dark indoor places. It is not a perfect lens but it will take low light pictures better than any other $200 lens I have ever seen.

neekoh_dp wrote:

Re: Thanks!

Well spotted, Erik. I didn't notice that. That is not the case with my FD 50mm. f/1.2 and f/1.4 look and meter the same, even if I can see the blades close the aperture down. That's definitely useful.

leafinsectman, nice pics!

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359

leafinsectman wrote:

100% agree!!! I don't have this FD lens. I have a Pentax 50mm 1.4 and incoming an OM 50mm macro, but I much prefer the 50mm length. I hope someone comes out with a sharp, fast 50mm for m43 that AFs. It'd be great if it could also support a (reasonable) close focus (doesn't have to be macro).
--

I refuse to wed myself to any of these vendors. I'm just having fun taking pictures,
and watching the technology develop.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +2 more
Re: Canon FD 55mm F1.2 lens is so much better than the Noktor

Some people asked for outdoor portrait samples. So here you go. Please note that these were taken at F2.0 with the exception of the side view mirror one. I think that one was F1.2. I tried to get the portrait picture of my daughter to take at F1.2 but 1/4000 shutter speed wasn’t anywhere near fast enough with that much light.

I can’t believe anyone would even consider spending $750 on the Noktor. This $200 Canon 55mm F1.2 S.S.C will blow it away for less than ¼ of the cost.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4222674355/albums/canon-fd-55mm-f1-2#page=2

tyampel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,809

Nice shots and cute daughter.
You did not seem to use the fill flash on the last two pictures.

-- hide signature --

Tod Yampel

Duck Club member

Yea I snapped these pictures on a whim. I really didn’t have time to try any different settings or use the flash. In the last picture my daughter looks surprised because she saw my son’s bus drive by. We missed the bus because I was snapping the pictures!

The pictures were so sharp that you can actually see me shooting the picture in the reflection in my daughters eyes.

100% crop

Cropped from this jpg picture

tyampel wrote:

Nice shots and cute daughter.
You did not seem to use the fill flash on the last two pictures.

photoSmart42 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

Nice photos! Looks a lot like my Canon FL 55/1.2 which I love.

duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,609

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I just got the Canon 55mm F1.2 lens and I just love it. For only $200 I think it is a great choice for m4/3s. It isn't as sharp as the 14-45mm or 20mm pancake wide open.

Not enough to totally assess the bokeh quality (no highlights) but it looks very very smooth.

OTOH the CA is very ugly and the sharpness doesn't look as good as what I get from the Konica AR 57mm F1.2.

I might as well note that my Konica costed about the same (~ 180USD+shipping+taxes), even though it has a small spot of lost coating the size of a pin head. It doesn't affect quality but it allowed me to buy it for about half of what it usually sold for...
--
Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more

Can you post some samples from the Konica 57mm F1.2 here? I have the F1.4 version and I was very disappointed with it. It was just too soft. However, the one I bought wasn’t in the best shape either. I think it was only $45.

I saw this picture in your profile. This looks pretty good but I would also like to see a color one.

duartix wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I just got the Canon 55mm F1.2 lens and I just love it. For only $200 I think it is a great choice for m4/3s. It isn't as sharp as the 14-45mm or 20mm pancake wide open.

Not enough to totally assess the bokeh quality (no highlights) but it looks very very smooth.

OTOH the CA is very ugly and the sharpness doesn't look as good as what I get from the Konica AR 57mm F1.2.

I might as well note that my Konica costed about the same (~ 180USD+shipping+taxes), even though it has a small spot of lost coating the size of a pin head. It doesn't affect quality but it allowed me to buy it for about half of what it usually sold for...
--
Duarte Bruno

Ehrik Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Re: Thanks!

neekoh_dp wrote:

I didn't notice that. That is not the case with my FD 50mm. f/1.2 and f/1.4 look and meter the same, even if I can see the blades close the aperture down.

Interesting.

If pixel vignetting was the cause, only the f-number should matter, not the focal length or the optical formula with the exit pupil location, for the centre of the frame.

So if one lens shows a difference between f/1.4 and f/1.2, and another one doesn't there seems to be another cause. Maybe the part of your lens blocked by the iris at f/1.4 wasn't used anyway? Can you see the rear pupil shrink when going from f/1.2 to f/1.4 when looking from the rear end?

-- hide signature --

Just my two öre,
Erik from Sweden

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads