Fixed the loose dial in the back of the S90

Started Mar 15, 2010 | Discussions
alfanator Junior Member • Posts: 35
Fixed the loose dial in the back of the S90

1- Remove the inner ring where the flash and macro symbols are. I wedged a thin piece of plastic (i cut off a small piece from a sudafed blister pack), between the 2 rings and it popped right out.

2- Cut out a small piece of paper, about 5mm by 3mm and insert between the moving ring and its retainer. See where the tweezers are pointed at.

3- Experiment with how much friction you like by varying the length/thickness of the paper inserted. You could insert paper all around and effectively locking the ring. 5mm of sticky pad paper provided just enough friction to allow the movement of the wheel without pressiong the buttons.

4- Pop the inner ring back in. It will snap right back with minimal pressure.

5- No longer have to worry about screwing up your settings with your clumsy thumb.

If you still prefer free and loose, just take the paper out. Completely reversable.

Takes

Experiment with different types of material to insert to get the right feel. I just used the sticky pad paper because it was right there.

BTW, This little camera ROCKS!

mshafik
mshafik Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Re: Fixed the loose dial in the back of the S90

This is very courageous!

mshafik's gear list:mshafik's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +9 more
philoufr Regular Member • Posts: 229

Excellent !!!

I just did it, the inner ring is very easy to remove and to pop back with a thin blade

With a few tries, I was able to find the exact size of the piece of paper that gives the drag I need

Thanks a lot, this the major drawback of the cam that goes away !!!

-- hide signature --
flon Forum Member • Posts: 78

Congratulations alfanator! That's what our Japanese friends call Kaizen (ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen )!

I cut two tiny pieces of post-it paper (maybe 2 by 3 mm each) and affixed them to the rear side of the printed ring. I suppose pieces of duct tape would work as well. Totally easy, took 2 minutes.

Jack Webb Regular Member • Posts: 432
Caution

Paper deteriorates! The paper powder can filter into the space between camera and wheel and freeze up the works. If you are going to fool around with your warranty I'd recommend using something more permanent than paper.
J.

Jettubby
Jettubby Contributing Member • Posts: 774

Interesting. I modified via an external solution. I custom cut a very small piece of non deteriorating rubber and glued it betweent he dial's teeth and the small ride in the chassis leading to the back LCD screen. This provides some friction so that the wheel won't spin if I inadvertenly touch it with a finger. Works great and I can easily remove it and carefully scrape off the glue if I don't want it.

Jettubby
Jettubby Contributing Member • Posts: 774

Man I made some typing mistakes! That is "...dial's teeth and the small ridge in the chassis...."

Jettubby wrote:

Interesting. I modified via an external solution. I custom cut a very small piece of non deteriorating rubber and glued it betweent he dial's teeth and the small ride in the chassis leading to the back LCD screen. This provides some friction so that the wheel won't spin if I inadvertenly touch it with a finger. Works great and I can easily remove it and carefully scrape off the glue if I don't want it.

Tekkie Regular Member • Posts: 120
Worked for me too

I also tried this, and it works quite well. A simple way of popping off the inner ring is with a pointed hobby knife (eg. "X-acto"). A pair of tweezers is also pretty much a necessity for placing the tiny shim in such close quarters. I tried a variety of materials such as overhead transparency film, but paper seemed to work best.

Bassmasterfunk New Member • Posts: 22

This is a most excellent fix although I now can't decide if preferred it when my wheel was loose

wa2n Regular Member • Posts: 174
Re: Worked for me too

Cheap box cutter blade tip can pop the ring out too. 5 minutes to implement, excellent idea.

Ernesto Cardenas Regular Member • Posts: 379

Cool...

after I returned to home from work I tried and.... it works!!

After trying different sizes now it moves easyly but not free.... I moved the camera againsts my clothes and the wheel stayed quiet, but if needed..... it moves!!

THANKS a lot, now I have the perfect compact, lol..

-- hide signature --
 Ernesto Cardenas's gear list:Ernesto Cardenas's gear list
Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
in_saner Regular Member • Posts: 162

Many thanks, it really works!!!
--
a'.

in_saner's gear list:in_saner's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
OP alfanator Junior Member • Posts: 35

I am glad folks are finding this alfanator mod useful.

I field tested this today in the Streets. Walking around with camera in my hand turned on ready to shoot all afternoon. No accidental changing of exposure level by accident...which embrassingly happened to me a lot prior.

Also found a better way to get into macro quickly in P, just press the flower twice and snap. I used to press flower and rotate which required 2 actions and repositioning of my clumsy thumb.

Now if i could figure out how to make it F1.4 all the way through its zoom range...

ganzot New Member • Posts: 5

I did the modification also.
To remove the inner ring I just used my fingernails, no other tools necessary...

I cut a washer to fit on the back-side of the inner ring from a blister-pack and made the surface rough with fine sand paper.
Now the feel is just perfect.
Thank you very much Alfanator, a superb fix !!!!

OP alfanator Junior Member • Posts: 35

Just spent a week in Xian China with my sons touting the S90 around in my hand and in my back jean pocket. No accidental bumps to the exposure settings.

The D80 got left in the hotel room for all but the first day. Anyone want to buy a D80 with a 18-200 lens?

roned Regular Member • Posts: 118

How does noise compare between the d80 and the s90 ?

RKral Regular Member • Posts: 392

Would you mind posting a pic of the "finished product"?

GaryP Regular Member • Posts: 283

sounds promisng. anyone care to post a step-by-step guide with photos?

Elliot H Senior Member • Posts: 1,604

alfanator wrote:

I am glad folks are finding this alfanator mod useful.

I field tested this today in the Streets. Walking around with camera in my hand turned on ready to shoot all afternoon. No accidental changing of exposure level by accident...which embrassingly happened to me a lot prior.

Also found a better way to get into macro quickly in P, just press the flower twice and snap. I used to press flower and rotate which required 2 actions and repositioning of my clumsy thumb.

Now if i could figure out how to make it F1.4 all the way through its zoom range...

not to worry, Samsung will

Edlolim Contributing Member • Posts: 770

The Jap engineer/tech who worked this dial out had a part time job at Toyota too
Now we have to find solutions to our beauty- the queen S90

-- hide signature --

Ed

Edlolim's gear list:Edlolim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D750 Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads