More HX5 pictures.

Started Mar 14, 2010 | Discussions
Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
More HX5 pictures.

I've added more pictures to my HX5 gallery, here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums/sony-hx5

Let's go ahead and go through them, here. Once again, these are all straight-out-of-the-camera originals, and you can click on them here to increase their size, or click on the "(Original)" link in the header of each image to see it in original size.

Most everything was taken in P mode -- I'll let you know if I used anything else on any of these. Oh, and I have no sense at all here of "making art" -- I'm just trying to show you what the camera will do in normal, everyday situations. "I provide, you decide."

Here goes!

From the park, wide open (no zoom at all):

Full zoom:

Flags:

Flowers at full zoom, but check out the details in the background:

Another Fry's shot at full zoom -- not artful at all, but I'm looking more at the car tops in the foreground, and the details in the background:

Just a car in the parking lot -- check out the color, the details, and such:

More in follow-up replies!

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

Tom Hoots
OP Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
More HX5 pictures, second batch.

For this batch, we're back in the Oregon State Capitol. Here is full zoom from the balcony. This was taken in HHT mode:

The lobby at the Capitol, looking towards the front doors. This could have been taken in HDR mode, but I'm not entirely sure:

Shooting up at the top of the rotunda:

The gold medallion on the floor:

Just an interior hallway, but with windows that would make this tough for any other camera -- HDR mode made this shot possible:

Finally, for this batch, the Golden Pioneer atop the Capitol, against typical gray Oregon skies:

More to come!

Tom Hoots

PD Watt New Member • Posts: 8
Re: More HX5 pictures, second batch.

Very nice pics.

Just signed up after lurking for a few weeks and have now ordered an HX5 (in part down to the quality of your samples) which I should be picking up on Wednesday.

Can you confirm that there is just two iris settings to choose from in the manual mode? Just a bit confused as the photos have a more varied aperture range but according to the manual there is only the two available (with and without neutral density filter)? I am not overly bothered about this ( the adjustable shutter speed is the key for me) but I'd be interested to know.

Thank you.

mbrandt3 Regular Member • Posts: 221

Your shots look pretty good! I just ordered mine. Would you buy this camera again after getting a chance to "test drive" it. Do you get what you needed from this camera?

-- hide signature --

Marie Brandt

Tom Hoots
More HX5 pictures, third batch.

Now, some out-and-about shots.

Just a bunch of details to pay attention to -- flags, cars, foliage, etc.:

More cars, and details in the foreground and the background:

Now we're atop the parking structure at Washington Square, southwest of Portland:

Similar shot at a darker exposure:

Looking down at some store facades, once again with those gray Oregon skies:

Walkway over to Nordstrom:

I've got at least one more batch to post -- "Next!"

Tom Hoots

Tom Hoots
More HX5 pictures, fourth batch.

Still in P mode, as we move into twilight.

Here's a good shot showing how the image stabilization lets me hold the sign steady, but look at the motion of the cars:

The previous shot was at full zoom -- here's a wider one not zoomed in so much:

Slightly less than full zoom:

And a wider look, with less zoom. Just lots of details to check out:

And a slightly different shot of the store facades, with less light than before:

Finally, a full twilight shot at an upscale mall south of Portland. This is still P mode at ISO 125. No need to switch over to HHT mode, just yet:

I hope you've found some of these useful!

Tom Hoots

Tom Hoots

PD Watt wrote:

Very nice pics.

Thanks for the kind words!

Just signed up after lurking for a few weeks and have now ordered an HX5 (in part down to the quality of your samples) which I should be picking up on Wednesday.

Good luck with it!

Can you confirm that there is just two iris settings to choose from in the manual mode? Just a bit confused as the photos have a more varied aperture range but according to the manual there is only the two available (with and without neutral density filter)? I am not overly bothered about this (the adjustable shutter speed is the key for me) but I'd be interested to know.

Yes, that's what I understand about the manual mode. So, I'm as much in the dark as you are about why you see different aperture values in the P mode results. In the end, it seems that the manual mode's aperture setting just lets you choose from "more light or less light," and I'm not so sure that either setting would result in any noticeable "focal" difference as compared to the other.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

Tom Hoots

Swingline Contributing Member • Posts: 717
Re: More HX5 pictures, fourth batch.

Tom,

I think it would be helpful to have pictures of simpler things like a few flowers, a wheel or a headlight, a little closer picture of the block with Chinese writing, a single medallion ofr painting hanging somewhere etc.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
Tom Hoots

Marie wrote:

Your shots look pretty good! I just ordered mine.

Thanks, and good luck with it!

Would you buy this camera again after getting a chance to "test drive" it. Do you get what you needed from this camera?

In a word, "Yes" to both questions.

I bought the WX1, wanting to get the "multiple image technologies," mainly the Hand-held Twilight (HHT) mode. It was fast, the HHT mode definitely worked amazingly, but I was very disappointed with the camera's basic image quality.

I bought the TX7 as a lark, after playing with it at my local SonyStyle store, and comparing images I took in the store against images from the WX1 that I had taken in the same store. The image quality was just miles better than the WX1's -- finally, here was a camera with decent image quality, plus all of the technologies, including the new and very useful HDR mode. I later confirmed the image quality differences between the two cameras in other settings, and that was the end of the WX1 for me.

Prior to playing with the TX7 and getting it, though, I had been planning on getting the HX5 all along -- and I just couldn't resist when news hit the forum that it was shipping. So, I bit on one.

The main thing is that the HX5's image quality is substantially better than the TX7's -- the colors are once again a magnitude more correct -- certainly, this is the first of the three Exmor cameras I've purchased that really had "correct" color. And I've definitely noticed much better sharpness "around the edge of images" with the HX5 over the TX7.

So, for the first time, I really feel like I've got a Sony Exmor camera that "isn't substantially substandard to the rest of the industry" in basic image quality -- I think it's absolutely "right in the ballpark" with anything else that's roughly comparable. I certainly appreciate the functions it has over the TX7 -- bracketing, manual exposure mode, plus a few other things -- so that makes it fit my needs better than the TX7. And finally, all of the "multiple image modes" -- HHT, AMB, HDR, and its ultra-fast continuous shooting -- just put the HX5 in a class above any other competitor in the market -- they simply allow you to get shots that the other cameras just can't get at all, or can't get without going into ultra-noisy high ISO settings.

So, I'm really quite impressed with the HX5. Oh, it sure doesn't have the absolute best image quality in the segment, but it's definitely in the ballpark. And its technologies give it image and video capturing capabilities that are simply unmatched by anything else, period. Finally, it is just plain FUN to use, which all of these Sony Exmor cameras have been. Right now, I could use my Canon G11, my Canon S90, my Panasonic LX3, and several other cameras I have on hand. But I prefer to grab my Sony HX5. That's what it all truly boils down to.

Tom Hoots

rss1983 Junior Member • Posts: 42

Hi tom

I havent seen any examples from the HX5 with the white ballance adjusted to the scene, why is this, people seem to leave ths on Auto, wouldn't changing this give more colour too?

tallymom Regular Member • Posts: 121

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's just trying to show what the camera can do with very little adjustments for those that really just want a no hassle point and shoot.

Tom Hoots

Swingline wrote:

I think it would be helpful to have pictures of simpler things like a few flowers, a wheel or a headlight, a little closer picture of the block with Chinese writing, a single medallion ofr painting hanging somewhere etc.

Oh, I'll get around to shots like that, eventually. The weather has been truly awful for the past few days -- just absolutely pouring down rain. We really only had that one halfway-sunny afternoon on the day I got the camera -- I was lucky enough to get the battery charged and grab some shots before the rain started falling. Then, I managed to get atop that parking garage the other evening, but that was "between raindrops," at that.

So, hang on -- I'll keep shooting, and keep on posting. And it sounds like other folks will start getting their cameras soon -- hopefully we'll be awash in HX5 shots in the coming weeks!

Tom Hoots

mbrandt3 Regular Member • Posts: 221

Thank you for such a great follow up answer. I feel a lot better about the purchase (you know how you get that funny feeling after you push the buy button?) I'm really looking forward to its arrival. I'll keep watching your gallery for more uploads. People should really look at your gallery pictures along with your posted pictures- they do seem a lot sharper to me. Thanks again!

Marie

-- hide signature --

Marie Brandt

GD1 Regular Member • Posts: 358

Hi Tom - love all of your write ups. I am buying more of a family camera that my wife and older kids can use and they are more auto type photographers. Does the HX5 and T7 both work well in that mode (know no camera is perfect) or I we better of leaving it on P and lowering exposure. Thanks!

John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,909

Wow. Dedicated words there. Did you see the recent comparisons in the Panasonic whatever it is review just published over at Imaging resource?

You can hunt manually for the HX5V gallery and compare shots. I think the HX5 does extremely well, especially distant building shots.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright Leica 35-420mm lens that's this good: http://www.flickr.com/groups/panasonicfz50/pool/ (slideshow always good)
[Tomorrows camera is better and smaller than todays]

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Tom Hoots

tallymom wrote:

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's just trying to show what the camera can do with very little adjustments for those that really just want a no hassle point and shoot.

Indeed, seeing what the auto white balance does is an important part of evaluating any camera.

Though, I've never really been one to mess around with anything other than AWB -- I generally expect it to be more correct than any of the "presets." After all, the presets are just that -- one particular saved setting per preset -- whereas AWB is continually evaluating each scene to produce the most accurate color. In the end, I consider white balance presets to be essentially "applying color filters" to any given scene -- by their very nature, they're not looking to produce "accurate" color, at all.

Tom Hoots

Ron Parr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,785
Gummy!

As with all of the other shots from this sensor, the IQ is really bad at full size. Fine details are just smudged away.

It's a great 2.5MP camera, probably the best ever.

-- hide signature --
Ron Parr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,785

Tom Hoots wrote:

Indeed, seeing what the auto white balance does is an important part of evaluating any camera.

Really? Why? Because it saves you up 3 seconds per shot?

-- hide signature --
David Gore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,512
Re: Gummy!

Exactly, I noticed the same thing when I started to zoom in..the quality erodes very quickly but like you say its good for smaller prints.
--
Dave

http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/daves_pictures
http://www.pbase.com/image/22632338/original.small jpg

David Gore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,512

The image quality of the Tz7 is certainly not inferior to the HX5...The TZ7 also is superior in:

Lcd is 460.000 to around 260,000 on the HX5
The in-board flash is stronger on the TZ7
You can reduce flash power on the TZ7
The TZ7 is 50mm longer than the HX5 and the same at the wide end
The TZ7 has a much more solid build

I have compared both cameras and no way is the HX5 a better camera IQ wise and in many other areas..of course, it doesn't have the very useful compass and GPS
--
Dave

http://www.pbase.com/dsg2/daves_pictures
http://www.pbase.com/image/22632338/original.small jpg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads