I got the Holy Grail!

Started Mar 13, 2010 | Discussions
MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
I got the Holy Grail!

Recently, after hunting for a while, I found a clean 200/1.8 for a reasonable price:

And even had a chance to test it (satisfactory!) before actually buying. Shortly after, I was approached by a gentleman who was, apparently, hunting for one too, but managed to only find me instead. He politely approached me and the following dialogue took place:

• Excuse me, are you the guy who got that 200/1.8?

• Yes sir.

• Aren't you already sick and tired of it? I would like to buy it off you.

• Not quite, no.

• But what kind of photos are you going to take with it?

• Oh, I'm not going to take photos with it at all, but rather to worship it. I'm building me a wee altar in my garage and planning to make human sacrifices to this divine lens - you wanna be first?

• I hear you mate, I hear you.

And he left with a bitter smile

Of course, I was going to take photos!

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 1.8 - 1/30 sec HANDHELD - ISO 1600 - fill-in flash with beauty dish:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/320 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 5.6 - 1/2000 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/250 sec HANDHELD - ISO 1600 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 200 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 11 - 1/1000 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

5D Mark II - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 3.5 (wide open!) - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 1.8 - 1/60 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/1000 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash - TAKEN THROUGH HEXAGONAL WIRE MESH:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/125 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

Thank you for looking

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

Joosay Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: I got the Holy Grail!

Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing.

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

Wow great lens indeed. I don't know what the reasonable cost is but it looks the lens is worth every penny of it.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
vk2109 Senior Member • Posts: 2,322

Simply say AMAZING SHOTS !!!!!!

the 1st portrait and the lion are just stunning !!!

thx for sharing

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

Recently, after hunting for a while, I found a clean 200/1.8 for a reasonable price:

And even had a chance to test it (satisfactory!) before actually buying. Shortly after, I was approached by a gentleman who was, apparently, hunting for one too, but managed to only find me instead. He politely approached me and the following dialogue took place:

• Excuse me, are you the guy who got that 200/1.8?

• Yes sir.

• Aren't you already sick and tired of it? I would like to buy it off you.

• Not quite, no.

• But what kind of photos are you going to take with it?

• Oh, I'm not going to take photos with it at all, but rather to worship it. I'm building me a wee altar in my garage and planning to make human sacrifices to this divine lens - you wanna be first?

• I hear you mate, I hear you.

And he left with a bitter smile

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 1.8 - 1/30 sec HANDHELD - ISO 1600 - fill-in flash with beauty dish:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/320 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 5.6 - 1/2000 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/250 sec HANDHELD - ISO 1600 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 200 - no flash:

5D Mark II - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 3.5 (wide open!) - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 200 - F 1.8 - 1/60 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/1000 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash - TAKEN THROUGH HEXAGONAL WIRE MESH:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 5.6 - 1/125 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

1ds Mark III - 400 (with Canon 2x TC) - F 8 - 1/500 sec HANDHELD - ISO 800 - no flash:

Thank you for looking

-- hide signature --
mmullen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,285

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

And a nice variety of subjects and styles!

I liked them all (except for the stunt truck).

-- hide signature --

Mike Mullen

mmullen's gear list:mmullen's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
OP MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156

Thanks everybody for your kind words!

carlk wrote:

I don't know what the reasonable cost is but it looks the lens is worth every penny of it.

• Well mine was actually 4,500.00 NZD = 3,157.20 USD (according to today's rate). Compare to ebay I googled:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-200-1-8-L-USM-200mm-F1-8-RARE-SUPER-SHARP-Lens_W0QQitemZ150422841394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item2305e66832

For example.

Digpics Regular Member • Posts: 385

So...are you ready to sell it yet

Mill Valley MD New Member • Posts: 20

Truly exceptional. Best shots I've seen in a long time. Congratulations.

Cephus Regular Member • Posts: 366

Aren't you already sick and tired of it? I would like to buy it off you.

Give you a nice quick profit.

(LOL)

gurbally Contributing Member • Posts: 874

Great shots. I too have this beauty but use it rarely because of its weight.

Allen H. Forum Member • Posts: 62

Wow! Congratulations!! Stunning shots. You go it "recently"...you've been busy. And I didn't even know about this lens. I want ONE! Who posted, doesn't use it much due to the weight..please contact me Thanks.

-Allen-

Digpics wrote:

So...are you ready to sell it yet

• Never!

Mill Valley MD wrote:

Truly exceptional. Best shots I've seen in a long time. Congratulations.

• Thank you very much! And thanks to everybody for posting!

gurbally wrote:

Great shots. I too have this beauty but use it rarely because of its weight.

• The total weight of my camera bag with all the gear inside is 30 kg, by the way. But it is orthopaedically comfortable. So after hiking for, like, 5 hours with it and taking photos it doesn't hurt in any particular place more than any other, it hurts uniformly all over, like after a gym

InVision Regular Member • Posts: 109

Hi Michael_61,

Congrats! You will find it an excellent lens and because the image quality is superb the results with both 1.4x and 2x Extenders yield excellent results.

I found with the 1.4x best results are at f/3.2 onward and with the 2x from f/5.6.

If you regularly will be using extenders with the lens my experience is that the combination moves the centre of gravity much more to the rear end.

I recently purchased the longer 500f/4 lens foot from Really Right Stuff and sprayed it to match the lens. With three thread hole centres to choose from it balances much better on a monopod.

Its picture perfect from the hyperfocal distance!

InVision wrote:

I recently purchased the longer 500f/4 lens foot from Really Right Stuff and sprayed it to match the lens. With three thread hole centres to choose from it balances much better on a monopod.

• Thank you for your valuable advice - I was initially thinking about buying this:

http://www.bushhawk.com/_product_40948/Professional_Kit

But then simply found a pistol grip with which, as you see, can handhold it confidently even at 1/30 sec (which I didn't think possible until I actually tried it).

Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

But then simply found a pistol grip with which, as you see, can handhold it confidently even at 1/30 sec (which I didn't think possible until I actually tried it).

I see that... I can't even hold the 85L comfortably at that speed, but looks like you didn't miss anything by not going to the 200/2IS!

-- hide signature --

-CW

よしよし、今日も生きのいい魂が手に入ったな

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525

Look after it as I hear Canon no longer services this lens.

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more

birdbrain wrote:

Look after it as I hear Canon no longer services this lens.

• I don't hammer nails with it if that's what you mean

And I do have it insured for replacement value.

jayboo Senior Member • Posts: 2,150

Really glad you got that lens - just so you could show us those fantastic shots - amazing - thankyou for posting - hope to see more.
--
Jayboo

jayboo's gear list:jayboo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica CL Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads