Aperture vs Silkypix - G1 - quick review

Started Mar 12, 2010 | Discussions
nick_webster
nick_webster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,623
Aperture vs Silkypix - G1 - quick review

Long post - apologies in advance if you take time to read ...

I've been looking to slim my photo software down to just one application. I would like to get really proficient with one program rather than vaguely competent in several Before buying Aperture I had 4 RAW editors to use with both 4/3s and m4/3s cameras - Oly Studio, Silkypix, Lightzone and ACR with PS Elements 7. I have been using my own file structures, but increasingly I'm finding it hard to find old photos so I wanted some form of DAM. I thought I'd give Aperture a go as I'd heard good things about it and I'm not a fan of Adobe - although their products are first rate.

I got the CD a couple of days ago but work etc. haz made it difficult to get much of a chance to play. Today I've had some time to start getting to grips with what is really quite different from other software I've used. These are just some early thoughts as a couple of people expressed some interest in an older thread I started.

I was always happy with the renderings of RAWS from both Studio and Silkypix for my Oly cameras and G1 respectively. Not very happy with Lightzone which gave me some odd colours which I never seemed able to correct. ACR seemed to give me files that were a bit flat, and always needed a tweak to get them to where I wanted them. I've tried presets but never got any consistent results with them.

Before any fans of any of these packages start baying for my blood, I'll be the first to admit that I never took the time to really get to grips with Lightzone or PS. I'd rather do lots of other things than spend time getting software to do what I think it should do without any help from me.

So far I've been pleased with what I'm getting from Aperture. I haven't started seriously importing old photos yet so I'm not sure how I'll get on with the DAM aspects, this is just looking at Aperture as a RAW converter and editor.

The files look much as I would hope with no input from me. Colour, contrast, saturation etc. all look very nice to my eyes. Any adjustments I might want to tweak are easy to apply and on my MBP are virtually lag free. Silkypix seems quite a bit slower on the same shots.

Making use of a few brushes can slow things down but it has been acceptable to me and I know it would be just as slow with anything else. I've only played with some of the adjustments but again I've been happy with the results.

I've only shot some quick snaps at ISO 100 so I'm not sure how well Aperture will deal with noise.

Here are a couple of quick snaps with the G1 and a Contax 50mm f1.4. One is an obligatory cat photo (actually I've not seen one for a couple of days so this is overdue) and the other is a very quick B&W conversion.

Wide open at f1.4. Odd CAs all over the place and the DOF is so thin that one eye is in focus and the other isn't.

This one was at f2.0. Quick conversion to B&W just to see how easy it was to alter hues, tones contrast etc. Very easy even for me

Both of these can be found full size in my gallery if you want to download or pixie peep.

If you've got this far well done, and if you've got any questions I'll try and answer them, but please note that I've not had much chance to learn the software so you might be better in the MAC forum for any technical questions,

Nick

Rob Zwissler Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: Aperture vs Silkypix - G1 - quick review

I haven't tried Silkypix, I'm using Aperture 3 with my GF1, I'm very happy with it... I'm a RAW newbie, before this combo I was using JPEG + iPhoto for the most part... I really like the file management and organizational structure of projects/albums that Aperture 3 offers, it's very intuitive and powerful and I don't find it lacking at all. I've had some stability issues, I'm hopeful that Apple will resolve those with a few more updates, looking at the Apple forums it seems that they are well aware of them. The RAW and general editing tools are great, in the past I had to bring up Photoshop fairly often with iPhoto, I don't think I've brought it up once out of Aperture yet, but that probably largely speaks to my needs/sophistication as anything... the more I use Aperture though, the more I like it!

Rob

nick_webster
OP nick_webster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,623
No stability issues yet for me

I was rather worried after seeing some of the problems people were having, particularly those who are much more competent than I am in OS X. Fortunately I've not had any problems yet, but I've only got a few pictures loaded in the library.

As to editing I'm finding that Aperture has enough for me to not bother with PS either.

Nick

Rob Zwissler Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: No stability issues yet for me

I've had it crash a few times, namely when importing iPhoto libraries and I've had problems merging Aperture libraries... thats been a bit of a headache, but I think I got it licked by making sure both the filesystem is in good shape (verify disk / disk permissions via Disk Utility) and making sure both Aperture libraries are in good shape (doing a repair permissions & repair database by holding option + cmd while starting Aperture on both libraries), and that seems to be good... If it does crash I think the database is put in a goofy state, then when merging it was double importing an album and creating false references which was a pain to clean up - so I think Apple has some polishing to do with the error handling, but when it works the sync feature is awesome! Now my girlfriend and I can both share the picture database on our laptops, add/edit whichever one we want, and I can also have it backed up by sync'ing to my Mac Mini and doubly backed up with Vaults.

With all these RAW images and movies now I'm really looking forward to some bigger and faster notebook hard drives though... it's always something isn't it

Rob

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Not a huge silkypix fan, but I have to hand it to them, they've got some great distortion and perspective tools.

Use LR mostly, and it annoys the hell out of me that it has nothing at all for this! I don't think Aperture has either..but correct me if I'm wrong. Seems a bit odd really

jfsouto Junior Member • Posts: 45

I do not know about LR, but there are several distortion correction plugins for Aperture that work quite well as are not very expensive (about $30). Some of them even have pre-set correction parameters depending on the camera-lens combo used.

nick_webster
Distortion corrections ...

Barry,

I use the G1 exclusively with MF lenses so I've not looked into whether Aperture allows for distortion corrections. Heck, I've only used about a 1/4 of the possible adjusments so far

Based on the reply by jfsouto it doesn't look as a solution would be expensive, though I'm not sure how seamlessly Aperture integrates with plugins.

I was toying with either getting LR or Aperture, but I've not been especially happy with Adobe's upgrade policy so I went the other way.

Nick

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,638
Re: I say

I can not use the Aperture, but I use sometimes Silkypix, and it is very good

• But from the pictures here, I say the Cat is the Winner good picture of him

• I use Lightroom and from what I ear performance is similar to Aperture

Thanks for the review anyway

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Not a huge silkypix fan, but I have to hand it to them, they've got some great distortion and perspective tools.

• Yes they do, and the quality is superb, the best is that for Panasonic users like me it's Free

Use LR mostly, and it annoys the hell out of me that it has nothing at all for this! I don't think Aperture has either..but correct me if I'm wrong. Seems a bit odd really

• Sometimes I use Lightroom, the best of the LR is the interface, and of course the ACR

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

• Yes they do, and the quality is superb, the best is that for Panasonic users like me it's Free

• Sometimes I use Lightroom, the best of the LR is the interface, and of course the ACR

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

nick_webster
Thanks Aleo, and nearly at 300 :-) (n/t)

no text here

Aleo Veuliah
Re: Nick

nick_webster wrote:

no text here

Yes, I am a freelancer, now I have some work to do on computer, so I work and keep open the Dpreview to keep posting and get a little distraction from the works

lol, now already passed the 300, but I not in a race, I like to communicate when I can

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads