Selling Negatives from your Archiv-Pricing Question

Started Mar 11, 2010 | Discussions
fotogary Regular Member • Posts: 211
Selling Negatives from your Archiv-Pricing Question

Hi Everyone

About 25 years ago I took photographs of a large Art Show for it's Catalog. A few of the artists have gone on to become big stars in the art world. Now, a collector wants to buy Prints, and or Negatives of a few of the artists' artwork.

How much to charge? As I have left the Art Photography world for the Advertising world, I have no idea of what the going rates for something like this are?
Anybody in a similar situation or with similar experience .

All responses will be greatly appreciated
fotogary
http://www.garysoskin.ch

Larry Berman
Larry Berman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,844
Re: Selling Negatives from your Archiv-Pricing Question

You'll get a lot of speculative answers but nothing definitive until you do some further investigation.

What does the collector want to do with the prints or negatives? Reproduction is out of the question because you may own the negatives but not the right to reproduce other artist's work. The artists would have had a contract with the show promoter probably specifying that the extent of the reproduction of their work would be to promote the show. That's common with all art show contracts even today.

fotogary wrote:

About 25 years ago I took photographs of a large Art Show for it's Catalog. A few of the artists have gone on to become big stars in the art world. Now, a collector wants to buy Prints, and or Negatives of a few of the artists' artwork.

How much to charge? As I have left the Art Photography world for the Advertising world, I have no idea of what the going rates for something like this are?
Anybody in a similar situation or with similar experience .

-- hide signature --
kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,203
Warning

Just be careful that in your sale you state it clearly in your contract that you are selling the negatives and your right to reproduce the work but other parties may have copyright claims to the artwork depicted.

Assuming you live in the US, it also may be worth noting that if the works are in the public domain and they are 2D works, according to a decision by the NY Souther District Court (Bridgeman Art Library vs. Corel Corp.) , you have no claim to copyright of the photography. So selling the physical negatives are your only source for revenue in this case.

There are a lot of variables.
--
~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads