Pictures: HX5V vs. TX7.

Started Mar 11, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
Pictures: HX5V vs. TX7.

OK, I've just got enough time to post a few comparative examples. Again, everything straight out of the camera, untouched, etc. HX5 shots followed by TX7 shots, which you can also see in the file names. Let's go:

My thoughts?

TX7 is a bit more "vivid," perhaps -- at the least, it has higher color saturation. TX7 also has a notable "warmth" to everything -- not the "red color cast" like the WX1, but definitely some warmth / redness that the HX5 lacks. Which is a good thing, of course, for the HX5 -- it probably has the most correct color of the whole lot, so far. My initial thoughts were that the HX5 was really lacking in contrast compared to the TX7, but now that I've got some good images from both cameras like these, I'm not sure there's much of a difference in contrast, at all.

So, that's what I think -- I'll let the pixel peepers chime in with whatever they find. And I'll keep on adding more shots as I get them processed. Here's the gallery, so keep an eye on it as it grows:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums/sony-hx5-vs-tx7

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

RMac Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Re: Pictures: HX5V vs. TX7.

Thanks Tom.
Was wondering if you had a chance to compare video quality?

RMac's gear list:RMac's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Ngo Contributing Member • Posts: 512
so which one is a keeper?

thanks Tom for the pics and I am sure it is helping alot of people who have to choose between these 2 cameras...........if you only can keep one which would it be?

Thanks.

apexi350z Regular Member • Posts: 272

Thank you for the comparison. These are the shots I want to see to decide if I should return TX7 and get HX5. But after looking at these, I think TX7 is definitely a keeper for me. You are right, TX7 does produce a more "vivid" pictures, and seems a bit sharper as well. I am not a pixel peeper, but I prefer the colors on the TX7 on these pictures.

Are you going to pickup H55 next?

Tom Hoots wrote:

My thoughts?

TX7 is a bit more "vivid," perhaps -- at the least, it has higher color saturation. TX7 also has a notable "warmth" to everything -- not the "red color cast" like the WX1, but definitely some warmth / redness that the HX5 lacks. Which is a good thing, of course, for the HX5 -- it probably has the most correct color of the whole lot, so far. My initial thoughts were that the HX5 was really lacking in contrast compared to the TX7, but now that I've got some good images from both cameras like these, I'm not sure there's much of a difference in contrast, at all.

So, that's what I think -- I'll let the pixel peepers chime in with whatever they find. And I'll keep on adding more shots as I get them processed. Here's the gallery, so keep an eye on it as it grows:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums/sony-hx5-vs-tx7

Tom Hoots

rss1983 Junior Member • Posts: 42

I disagree, the tx7 has oversaturated greens and not as sharp, the HX5 wins IMO

Tomska Forum Member • Posts: 92

Great work Tom. A lot of people are waiting to see this kind of stuff to decide between the two.

I only just reluctantly ruled the Panasonic LX3 off my shortlist because I want a versatile, pocketable alternative to my DSLR rather than just a mini version of it, I want good video and I love the Sony Panoramic sweep thing.

One test that would be very useful if you get the opportunity to do it would be a walking/panning video comparison because the HX5 is supposed to have better video stabilisation than the TX7. On the basis of the above shots, I'd say the IQ between the two is close enough to make the TX7 the frontrunner for me (mainly due to size), but if the video stabilisation of the HX5 is noticeably better and further tests put more clear water between the two on IQ, it could swing the other way...

Thanks for your efforts so far. Very helpful.

Thronsen Regular Member • Posts: 127

I would also be interested in seeing if there is better IS in video.

chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453

a simple test, like carry them both simmultaniously up a flight of stairs.

we had the movement and a low light situation with the focus on a moving object...
--
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

Is it me, or does all the foliage look like total mush? Just wondering.

GD1 Regular Member • Posts: 358

Thanks Tom - I like them both and don't see much of a difference.

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072

RMac wrote:

Thanks Tom.
Was wondering if you had a chance to compare video quality?

Not yet, but then again, I'm an MP4 at 720P kind of guy, so I really don't expect to see much of any differences there....

Tom Hoots

Swingline Contributing Member • Posts: 715

You are correct. I wonder if this camera has a very narrow dynamic range without the stacking modes.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
Tom Hoots
Re: so which one is a keeper?

Ngo wrote:

thanks Tom for the pics and I am sure it is helping alot of people who have to choose between these 2 cameras...........if you only can keep one which would it be?

Well, I've still got to spend quite a bit more time with the HX5 to really know what it will do in different situations. I could see the "slightly less saturated color" producing some pretty lackluster results in gray-sky situations, for instance. But, at this point, it's pretty much just a choice between the smaller (really, it's just about the same size, just a substantial bit thinner) TX7 and the bigger / heavier HX5, and the different features they bring to the table.

Again, I really need to do a lot more shooting with the HX5 before I'll know how well I really "like" it.

Tom Hoots

Tom Hoots

apexi350z wrote:

Are you going to pickup H55 next?

Probably not.

I had been planning on going for the HX5 long before I chanced upon the TX7 and grabbed one -- I guess it was inevitable that I'd get the HX5, too.

Tom Hoots

Ron Parr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,775

theranman wrote:

Is it me, or does all the foliage look like total mush? Just wondering.

It's not just you. The images from both cameras have the same mushy details I've come to expect from this sensor. I was debating whether I should bring it up b/c it seems like so many people just don't care.

-- hide signature --
Swingline Contributing Member • Posts: 715

Knallberto's TX7 pictures look much better. It might be a combinaton of lower contrast and a stacking mode.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
jp4 Contributing Member • Posts: 769

Thanks for the tests, Tom.

I'm interested in the TX5 and due to the similar construction between the TX7 and TX5, I would expect similar quality in stills.

jp4's gear list:jp4's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
CNT007 Forum Member • Posts: 56

Very interesting comparisons.

First of all, was it in Auto mode?

The two comparisons seems very similar. To me, I might say it's the same, yet the brightness is different. The HX5 makes little deeper black. The TX7 lights up more details in dark places (and over all image too). I was looking mainly at the shadows (not the shadows on the concrete, that I don't care). I would prefer shadows to be shadows, more natural, but TX7 does a good job bringing out the shadows in some cases. To those that have HX5, could you turn up the brightness a little (and still run in Auto mode), and then take few more shots?

The white tree on the last two pictures, the HX5 makes that tree look better, while the TX7 brightens the whites just a tad too much.

By looking at those, it's making me feel I should swift to the TX7. But, I am still aiming for the HX5. My point of me waiting for a camera for so long was the zoom. I have been using 3x zoom in all my previous cameras, so a little pop to 4x isn't going to be much. Also, my target propose is to create 4x6 pictures. Of course, once in a while, I would like some blowup photos.

I am wondering if I should do a Sony DSC-H20 vs DSC-HX5. But again, the H20 isn't a pocketable (and no video, etc etc). The reason I mention H20 is because the H20 took much better photos than DSC-W290 and few other brands of simliar level (at that time when I was shopping in a few months ago, then when I heard about HX5, I dropped and waited for this one).

I still got ample time to do more comparisons...

Chuck

Ngo Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: so which one is a keeper?

very understandable since you just got the HX5V but I do hope to get your opinion which is a keeper between the two since I sure can't afford to have both of them

Tom Hoots

Ron Parr wrote:

It's not just you. The images from both cameras have the same mushy details I've come to expect from this sensor. I was debating whether I should bring it up b/c it seems like so many people just don't care.

Well, I don't know about "people just don't care" -- it's more a matter of "this is what you get with sensors this small with such high pixel densities." You could spend full 8-hour days going from forum to forum pointing out that these high-pixel-density sensors produce mushy details. Bottom line, I don't think these Sony cameras are any worse than anything else at this sensor size / pixel density level, and as the other manufacturers continue to go ballistic with more megapixels, Sony might well start looking better, if they continue to stay around 10 megapixels on this sensor.

There's no doubt that larger sensors with lower pixel densities can do quite a bit better than this. Canon has the very competent S90 in this general size and price range, if that's what you want. I've got one of those, too. But for a carry-everywhere camera, I really much prefer one of these Exmor Sony cameras.

Tom Hoots

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads