GF1 JPEG Correction ICC Profile

Started Mar 10, 2010 | Discussions
FujiColy Contributing Member • Posts: 538
GF1 JPEG Correction ICC Profile

I have been reading the various posts with regard to the GF1’s JPEG output, and various criticisms of it compared to the EP1/EP2, so thought is may be interesting to see if they can be improved.

To that end I am working on an ICC profile that can be assigned to GF1 JPEG files to improve colour rendering as can be seen in the example below.

As you can see the yellows & oranges from the ooc jpeg have way to much green in them, and the blues have way to much purple in them. Quite terrible really...

I think my ICC profile helps in this regard, I also have a new tone curve as you can see below.

Feel free to send me your GF1 jpeg files if you want to see how it works with your images email huelight@gmail.com

I look forward to your comments.

discopolana Senior Member • Posts: 1,450
THANKS! /nt

no text

discopolana's gear list:discopolana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +14 more
Robbie_EP1 Regular Member • Posts: 426
Re: GF1 JPEG Correction ICC Profile

Very nice job! Much prefer the look of your profile! If i was a GF1 owner i would be very interested. Keep up the good work.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Robbie_e-p1/

efix Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
What exactly is an ICC profile ...

... and isn't this something that can be done during RAW processing?

efix's gear list:efix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 +17 more
phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846
Re: What exactly is an ICC profile ...

This is a nice approach. Do you plan to make the profile available, either free or for a fee? Also, are you creating the profile only for sRGB JPEGs or also for Adobe RGB?

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Mel C Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

Nice work and I like your profile too!

ric

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,743
Re: Fujicoly

FujiColy wrote:

I have been reading the various posts with regard to the GF1’s JPEG output, and various criticisms of it compared to the EP1/EP2, so thought is may be interesting to see if they can be improved.

I think must of the criticisms are because people are not used to the colors of a new camera, olympus people like more warm images, It's a matter of personal tastes

To that end I am working on an ICC profile that can be assigned to GF1 JPEG files to improve colour rendering as can be seen in the example below.

As you can see the yellows & oranges from the ooc jpeg have way to much green in them, and the blues have way to much purple in them. Quite terrible really...

Terrible is exaggerated, as I said each camera is different, I saw those "terrible" you say on canons nikons sonys pentax anda more, all have a "terrible" that we can point

• "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" (almost)

I think my ICC profile helps in this regard, I also have a new tone curve as you can see below.

Feel free to send me your GF1 jpeg files if you want to see how it works with your images email huelight@gmail.com

But the profile will be good, can work for people who don't know how to PP

Thanks for your kindness And good luck on the profile

• "The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention"

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +7 more
roblarosa
roblarosa Senior Member • Posts: 2,119
 roblarosa's gear list:roblarosa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
compositor20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,656

i want those but for olympus e-p1

OP FujiColy Contributing Member • Posts: 538

Why, the ep1 has great jpeg colour?

compositor20 wrote:

i want those but for olympus e-p1

-- hide signature --

Colin

Huelight ICC & DNG Profiles

I say terrible compared to its contemporary's sutch as Canon, Olympus etc

Green yellows and purple blues are unacceptable in a camera of this cost, and not a trait that is shared with other brands.

Just my opinion I suppose!

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

FujiColy wrote:

I think must of the criticisms are because people are not used to the colors of a new camera, olympus people like more warm images, It's a matter of personal tastes

Terrible is exaggerated, as I said each camera is different, I saw those "terrible" you say on canons nikons sonys pentax anda more, all have a "terrible" that we can point

• "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" (almost)

But the profile will be good, can work for people who don't know how to PP

Thanks for your kindness And good luck on the profile

• "The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention"

-- hide signature --

Colin

epicuro Regular Member • Posts: 103

Your hard job will certainly help many people.
Most of the GF1 owners would like better jpg's.
But, the question is : do they own and use lightroom?

It seems panasonic is trying to sell many ( and colored , even pink )cameras

They want to sell as many as possible of them to beginners (and to their wifes).

I tried the trial of lightroom and deleted it because it was too difficult to use.

I never understood the library system and prefere the windows explorer I use usually.

So, I wonder if the users of lightroom are not already experts of PP, and will make their own profiles,instead of asking for yours.

I'm sure you would receive many more donations if the profile was more, I would say, universal (if the profile was usable on Bibble, silkypix,and perhaps on picasa...for example, it would be wonderfull)
But, I'm not an expert, and what I'm asking is perhaps a dream ...

epicuro's gear list:epicuro's gear list
Sony RX10 III
ashatron Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

FojiColy, you sir are a legend.

That looks incredible, it looks like nothing has been damaged or sacrificed to acheive it either. Great stuff.

leafinsectman Contributing Member • Posts: 763

Hi Colin, thanks again for your work on this. I mostly shoot raw but this should be good for those who mainly shoot jpeg

epicuro wrote:

I tried the trial of lightroom and deleted it because it was too difficult to use.

I never understood the library system and prefere the windows explorer I use usually.

I was initially turned off by Lightroom as well and stayed off it for about a year until giving it another go. What I've been doing is that when I want to work on a set of pictures I just import the whole folder (or even just a few photos from a folder) then I work on it for however long it takes me then when I'm done, either I export as jpeg and/or save settings to the sidecar xmp files. Then I remove the folder from the Lightroom library then move on to the next set of files I want to work on. I still don't like its catalogue system or whatever it is so I don't rely on it.

I think Lightroom is great when you're working on several photos and you don't want to spend a ton of time on each one. That's probably its greatest strength whereas if you only want to play with one photo then you might be better off with Photoshop or some other image editor.

This is my point, something like this is easy to use for non photo nerds but it needs a more cost effective way to deliver the ICC profile to these users without the whole PS buy-in...

But I have a plan so watch this space!

epicuro wrote:

Your hard job will certainly help many people.
Most of the GF1 owners would like better jpg's.
But, the question is : do they own and use lightroom?

It seems panasonic is trying to sell many ( and colored , even pink )cameras

They want to sell as many as possible of them to beginners (and to their wifes).

So, I wonder if the users of lightroom are not already experts of PP, and will make their own profiles,instead of asking for yours.

I'm sure you would receive many more donations if the profile was more, I would say, universal (if the profile was usable on Bibble, silkypix,and perhaps on picasa...for example, it would be wonderfull)
But, I'm not an expert, and what I'm asking is perhaps a dream ...

-- hide signature --

Colin

NuFonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,211

It would be great to see some real world exmples like a landscape or a portrait. So far this looks really nice.
--
What´s that noise?

pmaster Regular Member • Posts: 238

I was wondering, this ICC profile is made to be used upon the GF1 standard JPEG output? With no modifications to saturation/contrast etc??

I'd be curious to see the difference on some of my jpgs, but most of them were shot using the dynamic mode, since it seemed the easiest way to get "punchier" colors. Although that I now review some of my pictures over the weekend, the reds are way oversaturated...

compositor20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,656

i want the ones for lightroom raw with e-p1 with your custom tone curve

the others i saw from capture one were very good

phototransformations
phototransformations Senior Member • Posts: 2,846

There are simple utilities that will assign a profile to an image that run via tht command line. If you make your profile available I can hunt them down and post a link. Or is it already posted somewhere and I've missed the announcement? In any case I'd like to try your profile with my G1.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more

Yes the icc profile must be applied to a camera set standard, ie it would not work on Dynamic as it is base on standard....

pmaster wrote:

I was wondering, this ICC profile is made to be used upon the GF1 standard JPEG output? With no modifications to saturation/contrast etc??

I'd be curious to see the difference on some of my jpgs, but most of them were shot using the dynamic mode, since it seemed the easiest way to get "punchier" colors. Although that I now review some of my pictures over the weekend, the reds are way oversaturated...

-- hide signature --

Colin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads