New 7D Auto Focus Assist Beam Not Firing. What am I doing wrong?

Started Mar 6, 2010 | Discussions
glickfield Regular Member • Posts: 207
New 7D Auto Focus Assist Beam Not Firing. What am I doing wrong?

I just upgraded from the 50D to the 7D. When I raise the flash in P mode, the auto focus assist beam does not emmit a beam. I went to the manual and enabled the assist beam but no luck.

Anyone have suggestions-please?

glickfield's gear list:glickfield's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
David I Hale Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: New 7D Auto Focus Assist Beam Not Firing. What am I doing wrong?

The 7D has pretty good focus, it will only fire the focus assist flash strobes in real low lighting, much less than previous models. If it's getting a focus lock, it does not need the assist.
--
http://www.TheDirtyLens.com

OP glickfield Regular Member • Posts: 207

I haven't had achance to shoot much with it as I purchased it this afternoon in the kit with the 28-135IS.

I have been trying it in my room with only 1 lamp and the TV on.. I can not get focus lock or the assist beam unless I aim at the lamp or TV.
I appreciate the reply.

Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Do you have it enabled for internal and external flash? I believe there is an option to enable for external only.
--
Steve
anasazi@wi.rr.com

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more

Under Custom Function 111, number 11, I set the AF-Assist to the first setting which is Enable. There is an option for external flash only. I tried it also and the same thing. Thanks for the reply.

MisterPootieCat
MisterPootieCat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,123
Trying resetting the camera settings to default

I know for a fact that the strobe fires for focus assist using the default settings as shipped from Canon. It sounds like you might have overlooked an option somewhere along the way.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +24 more
Re: Trying resetting the camera settings to default

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I cleared all settings and reselected my preferred settings and YOUR SUGGESTION WORKED!!!

Thanks again!!

Imrana New Member • Posts: 1

I was carefully following this conversation as I am facing the same problem that my Canon 7D AF assist beam is not firing. I tried everything which is discussed in the above conversation but still fails. Even I take out the camera battery and the small battery which is also located in the battery compartment believing that may be it will reset the camera settings, but nothing works. Please advise me what to do as my camera is not locking the subject in the low light.

rajooc
rajooc Regular Member • Posts: 256

In your 7D manual look for "Reverting Camera to Default Settings" (page 47 in the revised manual after FW 2.0) and follow directions.  If you have already tried this, sorry, must be something else.

Hope this helps.

rajooc's gear list:rajooc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +6 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,237
No AF Assist if have AI Servo selected.

Imrana wrote:

I was carefully following this conversation as I am facing the same problem that my Canon 7D AF assist beam is not firing. I tried everything which is discussed in the above conversation but still fails. Even I take out the camera battery and the small battery which is also located in the battery compartment believing that may be it will reset the camera settings, but nothing works. Please advise me what to do as my camera is not locking the subject in the low light.

Check the AF mode selected.  The AF Assist beam only works for One Shot and AI Focus.  It is always disabled when the AF mode is set to AI Servo (continuous).

I'm not finding it in the instruction manual, but this has always been the case with EOS bodies.  Both with the built-in flash and the near-IR AF Assist beam of speedlites.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Tsaki New Member • Posts: 1
Re: No AF Assist if have AI Servo selected.

thank you. Obvious answer and it worked first time I switched to AI and one shot.

Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 17,377

Tsaki wrote:

thank you. Obvious answer and it worked first time I switched to AI and one shot.

Just understand that AI Focus has all sorts of other issues associated with it. It attempts to be a combination of Servo and one shot, but does not always make the right decision as to whether your subject should be tracked or simply locked onto. As a result, many people using it here have reported unreliable focus. IMHO, you are better off simply using one shot for static subjects (e.g. landscape, architectural, portrait shots) and servo for moving subjects (e.g. sports, BIF).  Obviously, AF assist doesn't really apply well to shots that involve the tracking of subjects, so expecting AF assist to work under those circumstances would be unrealistic in any event.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 +1 more
WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,599

Jerry-astro wrote:

IMHO, you are better off simply using one shot for static subjects (e.g. landscape, architectural, portrait shots) and servo for moving subjects (e.g. sports, BIF).

Or another way to think of it, use One-Shot if you don't want focus to change before the shot is taken or between shots, and Servo when you do. So you would use One-Shot for focus-and-recompose, and Servo any time you can keep an AF point over the subject and the camera-to-subject distance might change. That includes the possibility of your own movement as well as the subject's, for instance with hand-held macro.

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads