Transferring Video back to SD card to play off Camera

Started Mar 4, 2010 | Discussions
ddzc New Member • Posts: 7
Transferring Video back to SD card to play off Camera

Hi all,

I have a Canon SD780IS. I like to play videos off the camera via HDMI to my TV. I want to transfer a video which I took and transferred to the PC and deleted off the camera by accident. In Windows, it's impossible to transfer pictures and videos from the PC to the Camera. I bought a Spyker SD reader device. When I put my SD card into the reader and plugged it into my computer, I'm able to drag and drop files onto the SD card. I drag and dropped my video file but I'm unable to see it when I browse through my camera.

The only think I noticed when I browse through the SD card is that all the video files have associated .THM files to them. I'm not sure if that's the reason why I can't see it in the camera...maybe I have to generate this .THM file somehow for the video I'm trying to transfer to the card?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

hamx15 Contributing Member • Posts: 534
Re: Transferring Video back to SD card to play off Camera

I can't comment with a desired response,I'm sure.
However here's a few thoughts.

Have you tried to find the movie in Playback mode ?
Without actually using the power button ?

If not try to see if the file shows up,from within Playback.
That would be the button normally used to view images,after shooting them.
Only don't turn the camera on first.
Just go directly to playback....

There could be at least,several,reasons the movie isn't reaching a point of in
camera playability once it's placed on the card.

I can say,that the card will need to be formatted if you haven't already done so.
That one point will probably stop the camera from recognizing the movie.
Formatted as to what logic ? I'm not sure. Probably Fat32.
For the playback to work without powering up the camera,for sure the card will
need to be formatted.

Then there could be issues surrounding in camera file handling script.
This would be implemented via the camera firmware/software.

You can try going to the Canon forum,and ask this question there.
Of course,you'll have to do the same as here,before you can post.
You may get lucky.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Check other forums,and google around you may get lucky with some help.
--
Being blessed with sight,does not bestow seeing.
Sir,Hamington

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Have you tried ZoomBrowser?

Have you tried transferring the file back to the memory card using ZoomBrowser?

Open ZoomBrowser and highlight the video file

Tasks > Acquire & Camera Settings > Transfer Images to Memory Card

I don't know for sure, but it may recreate the .thm file. Also, if you've changed the name of the file that could be part of the problem. It should have the same type naming convention that the camera itself creates. If need be, rename the file.

OP ddzc New Member • Posts: 7

Hi,

Thanks for the responses..

I tried in playback, nothing...don't see the video. I formatted the SD card with the actual camera.

I can try that forum...thanks!

Re: Have you tried ZoomBrowser?

Never heard of Zoombrowser...I can definitely try that tonight when I get home. I never changed the file name or format of it...

Thanks!

John Macri
John Macri Contributing Member • Posts: 656

In my experience using an SX1-IS, you have to transfer the original .MOV file and the associated .THM file (same name) to be able to play on the camera.
--
SX1 IS Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lavernes/sets/72157622164743299/

John Macri's gear list:John Macri's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000

ZoomBrowser is the software that came with your camera. It should have been installed automatically if you used the installation CD. Check your program menu to see if it's already on your computer.

I love ZoomBrower.

There is a software started guide at the Canon website, which you access via the Drivers and Downloads tab. Select your operating system:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=18183#DownloadDetailAct

WRS Forum Member • Posts: 65

I think you need the THM file. I wish there was a way to generate a new one from an existing video...

dudleydocker Regular Member • Posts: 252

Why don't you try creating a 'dummy' thm file. Or use one from a different video clip and rename it to match the clip you're trying to reload to the camera? I would try this with a freshly formatted SD card with nothing else of value on it

WRS wrote:

I think you need the THM file. I wish there was a way to generate a new one from an existing video...

I'm just thinking out loud here; I have no idea if this would work. I rarely shoot video.

ZoomBrowser lets you extract individual stills from a video. It gives you a couple of options, including extracting one still at a time. Extract one and change the file extension from .jpg to .thm. Name it to match the video file.

If you have a .thm file and change the extension to .jpg, it will change to a jpeg file and you can view the image in any manner you can view and use standard jpegs. So if you try the reverse, it just may work.

It would be interesting to know if transferring a video to a memory card using ZoomBrowser would create a new, associated .thm file.

Hey everyone,

I installed Zoombrowser. I tried to copy the video to the memory card but I received this error "A movie that cannot be displayed on the camera is selected. Zoombrowser EX can only transfer MOV (H.264) movies taken by the camera or MOV (H.264) movies saved using Cut Movie. Azoombrowser EX cannot transfter these to a memory card."

So right now I'm doing what another poster suggested, exporting the video to the hdd and playing around with it. It's currently exporting in H.264 mode. I have to head to work so I'll see the outcome when I get home...the export takes over an hour to do.

I forgot to mention some things I tried beforehand which was probably ridiculous which is why I didn't mentioned them:

1) I made a copy of another THM file from another movie, renamed it the same name of the video i'm trying to play and transferred both files to the SDHC card. I couldn't view it on the camera

2) I took an image and renamed it to the video name and changed the extension to .THM. The camera pics up the image but it gives a question mark stating unsupported image and I can't play it if I try to do playback on it...

OK...so I exported the video in H.264. It created the MOV and THM file associated to it. I transferred it to the memory card with my usb sdhc reader. In the camera it showed a mini image of that video with an error "Unidentified Image" and i'm unable to play it...doesn't show as a video.

I tried to do the transfer images to memory card option with Zoombrowser, but I get that same error message "A movie that cannot be displayed on the camera is selected. Zoombrowser EX can only transfer MOV (H.264) movies taken by the camera or MOV (H.264) movies saved using Cut Movie. Azoombrowser EX cannot transfter these to a memory card."

I honestly don't know what else to try...this seems impossible. I can't believe how difficult it is to transfer a video back to the camera!

ddzc wrote:

I honestly don't know what else to try...this seems impossible. I can't believe how difficult it is to transfer a video back to the camera!

Why don't you call Canon Tech Support. I would!

Maybe it just can't be played back

I don't think anyone has pointed out that, in some cases, videos removed from a memory card and then put back cannot be played back on the camera that was used to record them. This is true even if the video file was not edited in any way.

But do give Canon a call to make sure. Otherwise you may be wracking your brain for something that simply can not be one.

There is a bit more information about this at my site:

source: http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-cards/video-thm/
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My Canon s90 BLOG: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-s90/canon-s90-first-impressions/

WRS Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Maybe it just can't be played back

"I can't believe how difficult it is to transfer a video back to the camera!"

It's not difficult at all, as long as you have the original THM file. ;> )

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,468

It's not just video...I'm pretty sure you can't copy jpgs back to the memory card and have them played back through the camera - unless they're exactly the same, and in the same folder they were in before they were copied from on the card.

Mark

sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

Mark B. wrote:

It's not just video...I'm pretty sure you can't copy jpgs back to the memory card and have them played back through the camera - unless they're exactly the same, and in the same folder they were in before they were copied from on the card.

i have photos on my S90 from FOUR previous cameras, including those with differing naming conventions. i renamed those files as well as others for proper date sequencing and created appropriate folders. i also copy back edited photos.

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
sneakerpimp
sneakerpimp Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

dudleydocker wrote:

Why don't you try creating a 'dummy' thm file. Or use one from a different video clip and rename it to match the clip you're trying to reload to the camera? I would try this with a freshly formatted SD card with nothing else of value on it

ddzc:

can you edit the video want played onto an existing video/thm file? that way you have a 'base' file that the camera can recognize... in theory here for video, but it works when i put edited photos back onto by SD card for viewing in camera. you should make sure the resolution is one the camera uses.

sneakerpimp's gear list:sneakerpimp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS M
Kehno Regular Member • Posts: 116

dudleydocker wrote:

I had similar problem and I tried that trick, but it didn't work.

-- hide signature --

Canon Powershot A710
Canon Powershot SX10

rmcoelhos New Member • Posts: 1

Hi Daniel,

Definitely you will need the THM files in order to play it on the camera:

http://www.digicamhelp.com/glossary/thm-files/

REgards,
Rogerio
--
Canon SX200 IS