Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Started Mar 3, 2010 | Discussions
Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Pentax are working on a new model above the K-x and below the K-7. Technical specification, price and market release is as yet unknown.
Rumoured model name is K-5.
(information comes from sales representative from swedish Pentax distributor).

An image about a camera with K-x technology inside a K200D influenced design - with weather sealing and top LCD - has been floating around on the 'net... If this is true, then what we get is basically a K-x with weather sealing, illuminated AF points in viewfinder (note Mr Ned B, Pentax US, speaking in a recent interview about that Pentax understands this is important for customers), separate RAW-button and optical preview around the shutter release, and most probably a socket for a cable remote. Maybe even mic input for the video?
Personally, I would welcome a true pentaprism viewfinder!

I would guess ready for release at the Photokina show in September, but that feels a bit late and it seems like prototypes are field testing right now since the distributors has got information about Pentax working on this camera, so it can't be that far away.

-- hide signature --
yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Roland Mabo wrote:

Pentax are working on a new model above the K-x and below the K-7. Technical specification, price and market release is as yet unknown.
Rumoured model name is K-5.
(information comes from sales representative from swedish Pentax distributor).

This camera will be early than Photokina 2010. K-7's replacement will be launched at Photokina. I think K-m and K-x's conception is over.

All Pentax cameras will be weather-sealed.

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

That makes sense..a 3 model line up for APS-C

Pentax have caught my attention recently..they seem much more tuned into photographers needs.

flash1100 Senior Member • Posts: 2,174
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x
OP Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Evidence is that personell at the swedish Pentax distributor knows about the camera and calls it the K-5. But no technical details, price or launch date is giving. Only info is that it will come and that it sits between the K-x and the K-7, and that it has the name K-5.
(I don't know if the name is tentative or set in stone).

Another evidence is that big internet store Cyberphoto has written in their blog that they were being visited by a salesman from Pentax distributor and they got information about a new exciting camera coming up and they couldn't tell about it because they are not allowed to. The blog also talked about new Optios, including a "Casio sports watch styled one" - which now has been announced as the W90.

-- hide signature --
CSPronken Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Please include a Penta prism and dual dials

Sounds very interesting Roland. I just have one wish that if it indeed has weather sealing and a top LCD that they include dual dials and, as you suggest, a penta prism. If you already make the cost of WR and a top LCD, ad those two and the camera all of a sudden become more interesting to a much larger and more spending user group.

-- hide signature --

http://flickr.com/photos/56983515@N00/
Current cam: K10D, TZ1
Wish cams: LX3 or 4/3 pocket cam with fixed stabilized lens.
Current lens: 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, 50mm F1.4, Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro

Wish lens: 16-90mm F3.5-5.6. a 70-300mm F3.2-4.5, usable quality with 1.4TC, 60mm F2 macro, 150mm F2.8 macro.

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,434
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Roland Mabo wrote:

Pentax are working on a new model above the K-x and below the K-7.

It would be a major disappointment if they were not, don't you think?

Technical specification, price and market release is as yet unknown.

Move along! Nothing to see here. Literally.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

 sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

It would be a good second camera body to go with my K20D
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/

 leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
Priyantha Bleeker Regular Member • Posts: 373
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

leopold wrote:

It would be a good second camera body to go with my K20D

Or maybe even a replacement ?

Because the KX sensor is maybe more interesting than the K-7's and the K200D had also a nice built like the K20D maybe the K-5 will be on par with the old K20D in handling ?

It would be a 'cheap' upgrade from the K20D I hope

-- hide signature --

Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/

-- hide signature --

Greetings, Priyantha Bleeker

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Priyantha

Hi,

could be an upgrade also,if it has a faster frame rate i would keep my K20D for landscape and use the "K5" for wildlife!
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/

 leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +3 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,768
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Roland Mabo wrote:

Pentax are working on a new model above the K-x and below the K-7. Technical specification, price and market release is as yet unknown.
Rumoured model name is K-5.
(information comes from sales representative from swedish Pentax distributor).

Thanks for the information!! This will give everone somehting o talk about for awhile.

An image about a camera with K-x technology inside a K200D influenced design - with weather sealing and top LCD - has been floating around on the 'net... If this is true, then what we get is basically a K-x with weather sealing, illuminated AF points in viewfinder (note Mr Ned B, Pentax US, speaking in a recent interview about that Pentax understands this is important for customers), separate RAW-button and optical preview around the shutter release, and most probably a socket for a cable remote. Maybe even mic input for the video?
Personally, I would welcome a true pentaprism viewfinder!

Feature-wise there is a lot of specs a camera between the Kx and K-7 can have that will differentiate it from the cameras on either end.

One thing will be the viewfinder. It could be 100% view but a pentamirror or a 98% pentaprism. Like you I am hoping for a Pentaprism.

Another could be the number of control wheels.

I am hoping for a camera that I would want to buy for a back-up camera to my K-7. The Kx just doesn't do it for me.

I would guess ready for release at the Photokina show in September, but that feels a bit late and it seems like prototypes are field testing right now since the distributors has got information about Pentax working on this camera, so it can't be that far away.

For a three camera APC-S line-up with product cycle of 18 months then every 6 monts or so we will see a new replacement camera. The K-7 release was in June the Kx release was in December so a June release would be a guess. This will give them time to get the 645D released. I would guess that the K-7 releasement will be announce at Photokina this Fall for a December release and will have more and higher specs to differentiate more from the K-5. Then the Kx replacement will be an EVIL design with a type of K-mount that will allow full functionality of the DA/FA lenses.

Dave
--

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

DLBlack wrote:

Then the Kx replacement will be an EVIL design with a type of K-mount that will allow full functionality of the DA/FA lenses.

You sure about that? Most if not all the companies who are making ILC (interchangeable lens compacts), clearly state that they are not aiming to clone DSLR's, rather offer something different. K-x is also new..and apparently selling pretty well, why would they drop a model so fast?

As for EVIL, I use the term ILC, simply because most of the models on the market have no VF at all built in. I think folks are making assumptions about EVF's replacing OVF's, but using a G1 once, I can tell you..it's near unusable in low light..it's just so far away from being near an OVF, hard to imagine it replacing it.

If Pentax to something like this, you can be sure they will do a compact type body, and not a DSLR ish one..

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,768
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Then the Kx replacement will be an EVIL design with a type of K-mount that will allow full functionality of the DA/FA lenses.

You sure about that? Most if not all the companies who are making ILC (interchangeable lens compacts), clearly state that they are not aiming to clone DSLR's, rather offer something different. K-x is also new..and apparently selling pretty well, why would they drop a model so fast?

As for EVIL, I use the term ILC, simply because most of the models on the market have no VF at all built in. I think folks are making assumptions about EVF's replacing OVF's, but using a G1 once, I can tell you..it's near unusable in low light..it's just so far away from being near an OVF, hard to imagine it replacing it.

If Pentax to something like this, you can be sure they will do a compact type body, and not a DSLR ish one..

I have no insider information. Just guesses from trends. Pentax several years ago showed an EVIL K-mount camera at a Photokina. So they have thought about it in the past and have some tenative design for one. Plus going with K-mount will keep them from adding an all new lens line-up, but would increase the the depth of the camera a little to keep the required registration distance. Doing away with the expensive stuff like the mirror and penta-mirror will help reduce the cost of the Kx replacement.

Dave
--

 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
OP Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

DLBlack wrote:

Plus going with K-mount will keep them from adding an all new lens line-up, but > would increase the the depth of the camera a little to keep the required registration > distance.

Thin size sells cameras. It would be a pedagogic challenge to explain to customers why the Pentax "evil" is larger than the competition from micro 4/3 and the Samsung NX-10. It would also be a challenge to explain to customers why the lenses from Pentax are larger than the lenses for the competition.

You see, the micro 4/3 mount has smaller lenses than 4/3 system. The Samsung NX-10 has smaller lenses than even Pentax makes for the K-mount.

By not having the smallest camera and lens system, Pentax would have a bad smell to their brand name considering their proud heritage of class leading small and compact camera systems.

I don't think Pentax should do the least expensive system, they should simply do the best system.

So in order to compete with the "evil" cometition, Pentax needs to release a new lens mount and lens system designed for a mirrorless camera. This is an economical challenge and Pentax needs a partner for this.

Then there are also needs for a 24x36 camera with 24x36 lenses. I wonder how Pentax could have the economics to make so many different camera and lens systems. Also note that the thing customers are complaining about when it comes to Pentax, is the lack of lenses...

If they go the 24x36 route (which I highly doubt), then they will continue with the existing APS-C lenses as we have today but not releasing any real new ones (only updates to existing designs). New lens design will be concentrate on 24x36.

And for a micro K-mount, two kit zooms, a super zoom, and a pancake prime plus a macro lens may be enough. Plus of course a micro K-mount to full K mount adapter. With AF only for SDM lenses.

-- hide signature --
OP Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Re: Please include a Penta prism and dual dials

By tradition, dual dials and full HyperProgram and HyperManual is reserved for the top model in the range. I believe in a close to K200D design with one input dial, but more direct access buttons than the K-x. A 95% pentaprism, same as in K10D, would be nice. They have already designed it. The metering system from the K-7 would also be a nice addition. Steel frame instead of magnesium holds the cost down.

As for K-7 upgrade or replacement. True 14 bits or 16 bits colours would be interresting.

-- hide signature --
CSPronken Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Please include a Penta prism and dual dials

Roland Mabo wrote:

By tradition, dual dials and full HyperProgram and HyperManual is reserved for the top model in the range.

Tradition is nice and valuable, but not the only or always best way to move forward. If the K7 update/replacement moves up enough the mid range model can have them as well and become a very tough D90 (successor) competitor in the process. I agree with you that a prism is more important, but if you already make the cost of adding WR, a top-LCD and a prism, would it not be madness not to add dual dials and hyperprogram and really offer the best enthusiast camera of it's class?

A 95% pentaprism, same as in K10D, would be nice. They have already designed it.

Indeed or if the K7 update/replacement would move to a 100%, x1 prism they could even use the 100%, 0.92x prism from the K7. That would be a first in it's class and really make people sit up and take notice.

The metering system from the K-7 would also be a nice addition. Steel frame instead of magnesium holds the cost down.

Agree.

As for K-7 upgrade or replacement. True 14 bits or 16 bits colours would be interresting.

indeed among other stuff.

-- hide signature --

http://flickr.com/photos/56983515@N00/
Current cam: K10D, TZ1
Wish cams: LX3 or 4/3 pocket cam with fixed stabilized lens.
Current lens: 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, 50mm F1.4, Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro

Wish lens: 16-90mm F3.5-5.6. a 70-300mm F3.2-4.5, usable quality with 1.4TC, 60mm F2 macro, 150mm F2.8 macro.

CSPronken Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Roland Mabo wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

Plus going with K-mount will keep them from adding an all new lens line-up, but > would increase the the depth of the camera a little to keep the required registration > distance.

Thin size sells cameras. It would be a pedagogic challenge to explain to customers why the Pentax "evil" is larger than the competition from micro 4/3 and the Samsung NX-10. It would also be a challenge to explain to customers why the lenses from Pentax are larger than the lenses for the competition.

You see, the micro 4/3 mount has smaller lenses than 4/3 system. The Samsung NX-10 has smaller lenses than even Pentax makes for the K-mount.

By not having the smallest camera and lens system, Pentax would have a bad smell to their brand name considering their proud heritage of class leading small and compact camera systems.

I don't think Pentax should do the least expensive system, they should simply do the best system.

So in order to compete with the "evil" cometition, Pentax needs to release a new lens mount and lens system designed for a mirrorless camera. This is an economical challenge and Pentax needs a partner for this.

Very much agree with the above.

-- hide signature --

http://flickr.com/photos/56983515@N00/
Current cam: K10D, TZ1
Wish cams: LX3 or 4/3 pocket cam with fixed stabilized lens.
Current lens: 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, 50mm F1.4, Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro

Wish lens: 16-90mm F3.5-5.6. a 70-300mm F3.2-4.5, usable quality with 1.4TC, 60mm F2 macro, 150mm F2.8 macro.

Gmbal Regular Member • Posts: 274
Re: Pentax working on new DSLR above K-x

Roland Mabo wrote:

Another evidence is that big internet store Cyberphoto has written in their blog that they were being visited by a salesman from Pentax distributor and they got information about a new exciting camera coming up and they couldn't tell about it because they are not allowed to. The blog also talked about new Optios, including a "Casio sports watch styled one" - which now has been announced as the W90.

As I recall it, the cyberphoto blogg where only talking about one "mystery" camera, and that was the W90.

Kikool Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: Please include a Penta prism and dual dials

CSPronken wrote:

Roland Mabo wrote:

By tradition, dual dials and full HyperProgram and HyperManual is reserved for the top model in the range.

Tradition is nice and valuable, but not the only or always best way to move forward. If the K7 update/replacement moves up enough the mid range model can have them as well and become a very tough D90 (successor) competitor in the process. I agree with you that a prism is more important, but if you already make the cost of adding WR, a top-LCD and a prism, would it not be madness not to add dual dials and hyperprogram and really offer the best enthusiast camera of it's class?

A 95% pentaprism, same as in K10D, would be nice. They have already designed it.

Indeed or if the K7 update/replacement would move to a 100%, x1 prism they could even use the 100%, 0.92x prism from the K7. That would be a first in it's class and really make people sit up and take notice.

The metering system from the K-7 would also be a nice addition. Steel frame instead of magnesium holds the cost down.

Agree.

As for K-7 upgrade or replacement. True 14 bits or 16 bits colours would be interresting.

indeed among other stuff.

IMHO they will launch a K200d replacement (what was rumored as the K-m2 for a while) which they need to keep on an advanced amateur level. The K200d housing, buttons, etc. exists already and can probably host the K-x electronics. They could even use the existing grip. they might make minor changes, but I'm pretty sure that there will be a single dial, 98 percent/0.85x pentamirror, retablish the autofocus red indicators in the VF, a few other extras to differentiate from the K-x, but not that much not to cannibalize the K-7.

I would anyway really like to see that. I own the K-7 and the K200d. I must admit the K200d is a lovely camera !

Anyway that's just speculation... Let's wait and see !

Cheers
Elie

 Kikool's gear list:Kikool's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-1 +1 more
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
I don't think this rumor makes sense

I don't think Pentax will wedge a camera in between the K-7 and K-X. All the intermediate camera will do is push down the price of the K-X, pull down the price of the K-7, and in the end the intermediate camera won't sell.

I really think if Pentax comes out with another body, it will be an $1800 camera aimed above the the K-7. You can decide what a $1800 Pentax is.

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads