Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm

Started Feb 25, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
rasbobre New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm

I have had a problem with my Nikon 18-55mm VR lens that has had be baffled for weeks. Every time I take a photo a photo all the way wide at 18mm I MAY get 3-6 shots off and then, bam camera won't fire. If I zoom in to say 30-40mm the camera starts firing again with no issues.

Anybody ever see this? If I switch both the lens and the camera to manual focus I have no issues. I did do a camera factory reset, the button between the USB and video connectors.

I really don't want to send the lens off for repair and have it be something simple or a camera setting. Curious if those "BB" looking sensors on the lens could need cleaning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PhotoLeon1935 Senior Member • Posts: 2,305
Re: Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm

You don't give us much to go on. Focus failures are caused by insufficient light, low contrast, dirty lens. What camera? AF-S focus mode? Are the good pictures 100% OK?

As a focus nut, I don't even recommend to use auto focus at 18 mm except for brightly lit outdoor scenes.

Tell us more. Show is a picture that worked and then didn't.

You might have a smudge on the lens. Try to look through the lens.

rasbobre wrote:

I have had a problem with my Nikon 18-55mm VR lens that has had be baffled for weeks. Every time I take a photo a photo all the way wide at 18mm I MAY get 3-6 shots off and then, bam camera won't fire. If I zoom in to say 30-40mm the camera starts firing again with no issues.

Anybody ever see this? If I switch both the lens and the camera to manual focus I have no issues. I did do a camera factory reset, the button between the USB and video connectors.

I really don't want to send the lens off for repair and have it be something simple or a camera setting. Curious if those "BB" looking sensors on the lens could need cleaning.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rasbobre OP New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Nikon 18-55mm VR Auto Focus Won't Work at 18mm

Thank you for your reply Leon and sorry about my lame attempt in describing my issue.

I am using a D80 camera. AF-S is on, the issue is happening in bright light (outdoor snow) and I just removed my UV filter (which did have a smudge on it).

The issue persists. The images are fine that fire, but naturally there are no images to share that "didn't work".

I really feel that it may be a camera setting. My 55-200 and 70-300 have no issues.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads