Panorama WalltownCrags

Started Feb 22, 2010 | Discussions
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,828
Panorama WalltownCrags

I met a couple of Photographers with tripods & spirit-levels on Saturday morning. They were very helpful and one even took a series of photos using my camera, handheld, which I have just stitched into a panorama and resised for the gallery.

I cloned out an orange life-ring by the way but havent adjusted any levels, colour or stuff.

Please comment : do I really need to do anything else before I get myself a nice print of this?

Thanks fellas;

joey_B
joey_B Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080
Re: Panorama WalltownCrags

This one seems suitable for two things...

an effect to pump up the primairy colors and contrast, as one would get using velvia film.
http://pshero.com/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/the-velvia-effect

an effect to simulatie a polarizing filter, to pump up the blues of the sky and water.

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/polarizing-filter.html

I think I would go for the velvia on this one. It's a lab tutorial, so if you're in there (L*a*b, that is), also sharpen the Lightness-channel using the Unsharp mask filter. After that you can revert to RGB-mode, save as a JPG and show us your result!

Can't wait!

joey_B

... and by the way, really nice stitch-job! How many originals did you do this with?

joey_B

like this, I suppose

Twilight35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

Try working with this: In step 7 try moving just one square and see if that's enough for you, or go wild and move three squares. "Experiment".

Fred

Photoshop Work Flow With Lab Color

1. Bring up picture in Photoshop
2. Go to Image Duplicate
3. Go to Image _ Mode _ Lab Color
4. Create a new adjustment layer and click on Curves
5. To create a 100 square dialog box, Alt-Click in the dialog box
6. Click on the “a” channel
7. Move the bottom point 2 squares right and the top point 2 squares left
8. Click on the “b” channel and do the same as you did for “a” and click OK
9. Go to Image _ Mode _ RGB
10. Go to Image _ Adjustments _ Levels

11. Move the End Sliders to the Mountains if necessary and adjust the Middle Slider until you get the color and lightness that suits you and click OK.

If you’re used to duplicating your background layer after coming out of #1 and not using #2 click “Don’t Flatten” after coming out of #3 and click “Flatten” after coming out of #9.

Personally, I like to use #2 so I have a copy on my window to compare my work to as I go along.

If you need more punch, go to the individual colors, R, G, B, between steps #10 and #11, before moving the sliders.

If this isn't clear enough, get back to me.

joey_B

This is the same procedure as in the tutorial I gave, though the tut uses the levels dialog instead of the channels. Doesn't matter, because you do not create a curve, just shift the max and min value's.

instead of relying on the 'squares' I would reccomend that you keep an eye on the 'input value' box that is active while dragging a point. You can also manually enter a value here. That's way more accurate than dragging.

Using both ways you have to make sure you shift the min and max by the same value, and you use this value on both the a and the b channel. Else you will get shifts in your greypoint, and your pic will get a color cast.

You can choose whichever you like, I would go with the tool you have some experience in.

OP Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,828

I will try both methods and show the results tomorrow, layers, channels and other occult shenannigans.

It was 7 shots stitched, handeld but not by me!

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Well I enjoyed farting about with levels, curves and RGB layers and discovered some things ;

Adjusting LAB A&B layers certainly intensifies colours but makes my greens too vivid for my tastes, infact there was a very quick option ;

AddAdjusmentLayer(inLAB or even RGB)-> Curves(orLevels)-> select the 'soft light' option instead of none : seems to give me -almost- the same as squishing the left&right on the a&B channels ;

So instead I used the redLayer-> LightnessLayer from the PhotoshopGuide but didn't replace the reds using an inverted mask : I prefer it before that step ;

This 'polarising' brought up the sky blue to my taste nicely, but darkened the bottom of the water too much so I cropped it again.

joey_B

I think you did a great job on that, looks nice!

Thanks Joey,
I is now topmost PP expert, there's no end to the tacky HDR I'll be posting!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads