setting custom white balance

Started Feb 20, 2010 | Discussions
tar4heel2 Regular Member • Posts: 395
setting custom white balance

I'm a Canon guy, and a friend of mine and I were shooting basketball. Even with the manual, I could not figure out how to set a custom white balance,. When I took an exposure with the ExpoDisc, that image never showed up in the "D" selection area. The lexicon is totally different in Nikon, and we never did figure it out.

How the heck do you set custom white balance on a D300 using ExpoDisc??

Thanks

Phil

tar4heel2's gear list:tar4heel2's gear list
Pentax 645Z DxO Optics Pro Elite
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,027
Re: setting custom white balance

I'm not quite following your reference to the "D" area, but the procedure for setting a custom WB on the D300 is:

• Press the WB button while rotating the rear thumbwheel until the top indicator says "PRE".

• Hold WB down until the top LCD display flashes "PRE"

• Point the camera at your neutral target and release the shutter

• If you have a good white balance, the display will show "Good" as a flashing indicator for about six seconds

• If you don't have enough light for a good WB, the display will flash "No Gd"

• No image is recorded

I believe that with the Expodisc you're supposed to point the camera at the light source, but then, I don't use Expodisc, so I'm not sure. I use a WhiBal card as my neutral target.

FYI, this process is referred to in the Nikon D300 manual as "Preset manual" WB, rather than "custom."

Ray

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,120

Hold WB down until the top LCD display flashes "PRE"

I hate that step, especially if it's been a while since I last set custom WB and I've forgotten that's how it works. Nikon must believe that setting custom WB is an Extremely Dangerous Procedure (like formatting CF) which you have to be prevented from doing accidentally.

Lifer
Lifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,810

If the OP is referring to White Balance portion of the menu in which d-0 thru d-4 are contained, he did not realize that the present that was taken was d-0. Once you take a preset and want to preserve it, you can save it as d-1 thru d-4.

-- hide signature --

Richard R. Price

Lifer's gear list:Lifer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,381

Murray Bowles wrote:

Hold WB down until the top LCD display flashes "PRE"

I hate that step, especially if it's been a while since I last set custom WB and I've forgotten that's how it works. Nikon must believe that setting custom WB is an Extremely Dangerous Procedure (like formatting CF) which you have to be prevented from doing accidentally.

I, on the other hand like it. Very simple and very fast. There is also a bank of WB settings so that you can reuse the setting if you often shoot under the same light, like I have one for my living room. Pre 0 is for the instant WB setting and then Pre 1-4 the saved ones.
--
My Nikon 16-85mm album:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1336313410/albums/16-85

My blog:
http://www.olyflyer.blogspot.com/

olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,381

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I'm not quite following your reference to the "D" area, but the procedure for setting a custom WB on the D300 is:

• Press the WB button while rotating the rear thumbwheel until the top indicator says "PRE".

• Hold WB down until the top LCD display flashes "PRE"

• Point the camera at your neutral target and release the shutter

• If you have a good white balance, the display will show "Good" as a flashing indicator for about six seconds

• If you don't have enough light for a good WB, the display will flash "No Gd"

• No image is recorded

I believe that with the Expodisc you're supposed to point the camera at the light source, but then, I don't use Expodisc, so I'm not sure. I use a WhiBal card as my neutral target.

FYI, this process is referred to in the Nikon D300 manual as "Preset manual" WB, rather than "custom."

Acutually, you don't have to "press and hold"...

I have my bottons set up as sticky ones, so I just press onece and then I don't have to keep on pressing. In my opinion it is much better this way. The only time I have to press and hold is when I want to set the WB so that the "Pre" starts flashing.
--
My Nikon 16-85mm album:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1336313410/albums/16-85

My blog:
http://www.olyflyer.blogspot.com/

OP tar4heel2 Regular Member • Posts: 395

Thanks guys... 'ppreciate it.

groovemasterj New Member • Posts: 9

I think this very subject, with a brief tutorial, was discussed in Episode 28 of D-Town TV (see http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/2010/02/05/episode-28/ ).

HTHs

John

Island Golfer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,317

Using the Expodisc is simple. I have two of them. One is for my 18-200mm lens and the other for my 17-55mm lens. If you don't feel clumsy holding the larger one over smaller lenses, you really only need one of them. But, I happen to appeaciate just having to snap each in place. Once you snap it on the lens, press and release the WB button once to activate it. Then, hold it down a second time, until the "pre" symbol starts blinking in the LCD window on top of your camera. Release the button and point the lens toward your light source (i.e.; the sky that lights your subject or scene; but not directly into the sun). Take a blank picture of that light source (sky). That stores your white balance setting (as was already stated, I store this temporary setting in d-0. The process is so simple, I do it each time I take another picture. But, you can save settings in d-1 through d-4, if you want to). If the LCD blinks "good", you have the proper setting and can take your picture. For distant landscape scenes, I believe the instructions say to point the lens, with the Expodisc attached, at the actual distant scene you are shooting, as the entire distant scene is illuminated equally.
--
truview

OP tar4heel2 Regular Member • Posts: 395

Thanks, Ray that worked perfect.

Scott Winders Forum Member • Posts: 90

Island Golfer wrote:

For distant landscape scenes, I believe the instructions say to point the lens, with the Expodisc attached, at the actual distant scene you are shooting, as the entire distant scene is illuminated equally.

That will not work properly unless your scene is neutral. The scene is much more likely to color the light. For example, the light reflected back from a desert scene will be warm. The light reflected back from a lake scene will be cool.

However, I set the white balance for landscape scenes based on what I think looks best or what I remember seeing.

Scott

b2martin_a Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Island Golfer says not to point the ExpoDisc directly at the sun, maybe that is the mistake I am making. I tend to do this for outdoor shots and the white balance I get is too warm - I will try pointing away from the subject.

Any suggestions on how to use the ExpoDisc to set white balance for on camera flash?
--
Bob

These are the instructions directly from the Expodisc site.

How do I use the ExpoDisc with a flash unit?

Removable flash units, or bounce (reflected) flash will provide the best results when setting a white balance with the ExpoDisc.

When using removable flash units to light a subject, position the flash then aim the camera back towards your main light (flash) from subject position. Be sure to trigger the flash while taking your custom white balance capture.

When using bounce flash, aim the camera and flash towards a neutral surface (e.g., white ceiling, gray pavement, etc.) for your custom white balance capture. Non-neutral bounce surfaces may introduce a colorcast if used to reflect a flash for the purpose of setting a custom white balance.

Avoid aiming the camera and flash towards a backlit subject. A subject backlit by light that is either warmer or cooler than the light illuminating them from the front will produce an incorrect white balance.

-- hide signature --

truview

Hi Scott:
I looked on their site; and, here is waht they say:

In landscape photography, the best white balance results are obtained by aiming the ExpoDisc towards the sky when photographing under cloudy skies, open shade and deep shade. Under direct sunlight, aim the ExpoDisc so that it captures the sunlight, though not directly at the sun. Because the custom white balance procedure compensates for and tries to neutralize ambient lighting conditions,
most photographers will not set a custom white balance at sunrise or sunset.

Scott Winders Forum Member • Posts: 90

John,

Nothing in that list says point the Expo Disc at the scene. What they say makes sense.

Scott

Yes, I know. That's why I posted it. The first post was merely my guess at what I thought they said. It had been a while since I looked at their site. What they say is basically on a par with your comments.
--
truview

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads