Windows 7 and wide gamut monitors. Problem solved?

Started Feb 19, 2010 | Discussions
Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301
Windows 7 and wide gamut monitors. Problem solved?

Did MS finally resolve the problem with unnatural colors with wide gamut monitors? I am not talking about color managed applications but about simple things like icons, pics in the browser, etc. According to Wikipidea, it did, see the quote below. On the other hand, I found many posts on different forums, most of them Win 7 beta testers, that claimed that it did not. Does anybody have a personal experience to share?

A quote from Wikipedia:

Wide-Gamut Monitor Support

Using a wide-gamut computer monitor with current Windows machines often results in over-saturated colours when displaying items within software that isn't colour managed (eg web browsers, email clients, etc.). This software is generally designed with the assumption that the monitor displays colour with a gamut similar to the sRGB colour space. When used on a monitor that is closer to the AdobeRGB gamut, however, that smaller gamut is simply mapped over a much wider variety of colours leading to this problem. This isn't an issue in colour-managed software, as the display profile allows these packages to correct for this change in a controlled manner.

With Windows 7, however, users will be able to select an extended colour gamut sRGB mode, as well as the larger scRGB gamut. When this is done, the platform will elegantly handle unmanaged software when run on wide-gamut monitors. This will ensure that colours displayed in web browsers, for instance, will better reflect what is seen in a colour managed program such as Photoshop. Naturally, this isn't a replacement for using a proper colour-managed software package, however it is a step forward for users who need to work with software packages that don't offer this functionality.

R Laing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
Re: Windows 7 and wide gamut monitors. Problem solved?

IE8 browser is not color aware, on the other hand Fire Fox is. That is the reason I run Fire Fox. Plus it seems snappier.

But running a color corrected wide gamut monitor will cause problems with any program that assumes sRGB. Nothing to do with OS at all.
--

-- hide signature --

“If you have something to add don’t be intimidated by the forum bullies. That way they win.”

OP Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

R Laing wrote:

IE8 browser is not color aware, on the other hand Fire Fox is. That is the reason I run Fire Fox. Plus it seems snappier.

But running a color corrected wide gamut monitor will cause problems with any program that assumes sRGB. Nothing to do with OS at all.

Thank you for your input. I was not asking about that, however. I know that I need color aware applications to properly display colors, even on a "normal" monitor.

The question is about the colors of the icons, etc. Also, internet photos in IE8, that are assumed to be sRGB (I do not care about the rare occasions when somebody posts an aRGB image on the net). So my question is: is Win 7 color managed, in the sense that it takes the monitor profile into account but dirsregards the color space of the photo, if we are talking about a photo (aRGB vs. sRGB, etc.)? This certainly can be done, and Wikipedia claims that it has been done.

R Laing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116
The OS looks fine on color corrected monitor
-- hide signature --

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If you have something to add don’t be intimidated by the forum bullies. That way they win.”

nand
nand Veteran Member • Posts: 3,062

Yes. When changing the color profiles in Win7 the global colors for icons, backgrounds and NON color aware applications like IE8 change accordingly.

Also, I noticed the Picture Viewer (part of Win7) is color aware.

Nand.

Peter 13 wrote:

Did MS finally resolve the problem with unnatural colors with wide gamut monitors? I am not talking about color managed applications but about simple things like icons, pics in the browser, etc. According to Wikipidea, it did, see the quote below. On the other hand, I found many posts on different forums, most of them Win 7 beta testers, that claimed that it did not. Does anybody have a personal experience to share?

-- hide signature --

You could be wrong agreeing with me.

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +26 more
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,724

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&thread=34623116

I just posted my issues with this. I thought I was alone;)

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +4 more
OP Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

Here is more:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&thread=34576767

Apparently, the problem is not solved.

rhy7s Contributing Member • Posts: 525

Colour outside managed apps is pretty extreme for me on a WG panel.

Peter 13 wrote:

Did MS finally resolve the problem with unnatural colors with wide gamut monitors? I am not talking about color managed applications but about simple things like icons, pics in the browser, etc.

johnblue3 Contributing Member • Posts: 577

Peter 13 wrote:

I don't know about other Wide Gamut Monitor brands, but the HP LP2480zx incorporates all the major Color Spaces:
Full Gamut
ARGB
SRGB
REC601
R709

and so forth. And the user can switch between these on the fly. This renders any OS shortfall as moot. In color managed apps, I operate in fujll gamut and let CS four manage it's color space. If I am bothered by Web color renderings, I switch to SRGB etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads