Whats your most overused/abused tool in photoshop??

Started Feb 17, 2010 | Discussions
jon lake
jon lake Senior Member • Posts: 1,632
Whats your most overused/abused tool in photoshop??

Just wondered what ya'all have as a guilty pleasure in photoshop? I have just recently as a newbie discovered gaussian blur and probably apply it without discretion to just about anything!! I probably oversharpen as well. However I believe most photos need a little trip to levels. So, whats your most overused button?

jon lake's gear list:jon lake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
me_wwwing1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Re: Whats your most overused/abused tool in photoshop??

Ctrl +Z lol

jon lake wrote:

Just wondered what ya'all have as a guilty pleasure in photoshop? I have just recently as a newbie discovered gaussian blur and probably apply it without discretion to just about anything!! I probably oversharpen as well. However I believe most photos need a little trip to levels. So, whats your most overused button?

-- hide signature --

Michael

mborner Regular Member • Posts: 148

Without question.........layers.

randazzo Contributing Member • Posts: 859
Layers, masks, levels.

Layers, masks, levels.

-- hide signature --

Today's oppressed become tomorrow's oppressors...

joey_B
joey_B Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080

The Curves tool

Conrad Birdie Veteran Member • Posts: 6,809

Shadow and Highlight adjustment layer for me.

jon lake wrote:

-- hide signature --

Conrad 'Bye Bye' Birdie
'Aspire to inspire before you expire'.

Conrad Birdie's gear list:Conrad Birdie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus E-510
d40 Contributing Member • Posts: 740

Layers, masking, curve, Ctrl Z and strong coffee

-- hide signature --

Dave F

faith2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,305

layers,curves, brushes prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
seek wisdom and understanding

Deleted17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
Impossible to abuse anything in PS since I rarely launch it...

I am having too much fun with Topaz Adjust and IrfanView right now however:

finlemad
finlemad Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Impossible to abuse anything in PS since I rarely launch it...

How on earth did you get such a good picture of my workbench and storage shelf?
BTW, thanks so much for straightening it up, it used to be a real mess.
Finn

finlemad's gear list:finlemad's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
John Szeto Senior Member • Posts: 1,909

What's the point of this tread?

finlemad
finlemad Forum Member • Posts: 84

OK, I'll ask the question in a different way. What steps were taken to make the workbench/shelves look like a cartoon. I have played with a lot of different "tools" but haven't found that one.
Finn

finlemad's gear list:finlemad's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
santamonica812 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

John,

I can think of 2 good reasons off the top of my head (and there may be others that don't come to mind).

1. It's a polite way of rephrasing the question: What technique do you see other people over-using the most often? It sounds rude to say to another person, "I liked your composition, but you ruined it by over-saturating, and your finished image looks ghastly." The same information can be said more gently by phrasing it as, 'I find that I over-saturate sometimes, and when I do, it turns a good composition into something fake, garish, and awful.'

2. Thinking about the OP's question forces ourselves to examine our own images, and our own PP workflow. For many many photographers, objective self-analysis and self-criticism is not something that's done well. When I read the OP, I had to think for a minute. "Do I actually over-use Curves? Sharpening? Saturation??" It's actually a question I had not asked of myself before, and a little self-reflection ain't a bad thing do to from time-to-time.
--
http://www.pbase.com/santamonica

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Whats your most used tool in photoshop? Ans: Crop & Curves

n/t

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
mstmart Senior Member • Posts: 1,795

Layers, Masks, Level and Curves

jon lake
OP jon lake Senior Member • Posts: 1,632
Interesting answers so far.

I see levels and masks get a good usage(and ctrl Z!). I guess that is bread and butter stuff. What is your more idiosyncratic stuff? The thing that signs your name to a photo, if you will.(Apart from the photography itself). Thanks for the input so far. Jon

jon lake's gear list:jon lake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
Deleted17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
We have our ways...

Also, I didn't really "actually" clean it up, it was all done in PP!

joey_B
joey_B Veteran Member • Posts: 3,080
Re: Interesting answers so far.

don't know if you can let one tool take all the credit for your 'signature', or that it would be the total of your workflow and your artistic feeling for things.

I might not even have a signature...

JudyN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

I think it is an interesting question for people who have not used Photoshop a lot. Photoshop is a HUGE program and it takes a while to figure out which tools you want to use on a regular basis. A good book can help...

The answer depends a lot on whether you use Lightroom in conjunction with PS. I now use LR, so I am mostly going to PS either for plugins that I like or for cleanup (cloning) or to use layers and masks.

John Szeto wrote:

What's the point of this tread?

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,291

jon lake wrote:

Sharpening, usually USM, sometimes selective. Oversharpening is the bane of digital photography .. but I still do it.

-- hide signature --

tim

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads